UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 890452 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2850 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 02:51:08 pm
The size of those blocks moving at the top is insane! Sure there’ll be some new stuff to explore once it’s had a whole to settle down.

36chambers

• forum hero
#2851 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 02:57:50 pm

remus

• forum hero
#2852 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 04:58:27 pm
Love that they're just standing around filming while a few million tonnes of mountain falls down in front of them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2853 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 05:15:31 pm
I thought that, I'd like to think there is a valley inbetween.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2854 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 05:56:49 pm
Nope, the boulder they were climbing on got buried. After that apparently they ran about half a mile in their downturned shoes…

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2855 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 06:09:46 pm
Nope, the boulder they were climbing on got buried. After that apparently they ran about half a mile in their downturned shoes…

😂 holy shit! Hopefully they had grabbed their shoes for the walk down!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2856 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 01, 2022, 06:17:08 pm

Yikes. I would have been hotfooting it, reminds me of video of chairlift being destroyed for educational purposes. at one point the guy filming nearly gets hit by a chair and retreats.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#2857 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 06:57:22 pm
Nearly 3 months since dislocating my shoulder and no sign of climbing any time soon.

It's been a hell of a journey so far and there's no sign of any light at the end of the tunnel. I've seen 4 different consultants, the first of whom was a misogynistic prick, the second used to treating professional sports people, the third really took the time to speak to me and explain everything to me then got the fourth in just to double check what he'd said and make sure I understood - I'm liking the third a lot.

I have 3 fractures and a bit of tendon damage. Being hypermobile and given the things I want my shoulder to be able to do, the chances of redislocation are quite high but it isn't really possible to assess this fully until I have some mobility back. At the moment it is very very stiff and any surgery would only make that worse.

Had a steroid injection (fuck that hurt!!) and have a regime of very very painful exercises to do - seeing some small gains which helps but the muscle wastage is obvious and there's rarely a day when I don't take some painkillers. Between small children and a sore shoulder I don't get much sleep.

I have days when I feel positive about it, but mostly it's just shit. Been to a few crags with the family and enjoyed being out but also got very frustrated. Can't carry a pack so can't head out on the hills for a walk on my own for the day, some days it's a struggle to drive.

Managed to get back running but since the steroid injection that's become too painful again. Hopefully that will settle soon.

Trying hard to see it as an opportunity to do all the things that we don't normally do because we go out climbing which has resulted in some nice days out. I'm working hard to focus on those things and not just get totally and utterly pissed off (and pissed!) with the whole thing. 4 kilos heavier, a lot less fit. Some days the fight to be ok is easier than others which is also not helped by the perimenapause.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2858 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 07:28:41 pm
That sounds shit. Sorry to hear it.

Would you also struggle with one of those unreasonably large bum bags? I'm assuming it's the carry straps that make the pack a no-go?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2859 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 07:49:10 pm
I don't have any alternative luggage layout suggestions, but I very much agree with the "sorry to hear" it bit. That all sounds very harsh from the level of the injury to the unknown healing time to the struggle with even stuff like running. I hope there's some improvement at some point!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2860 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 08:55:35 pm
That sounds really grim. I’ve had a lot of injuries, some varying from 6 months to 9 months off, but  never quite the level of associated inconvenience you have there, battery. Very sorry to hear it. My one takeaway from many injuries, is this; with stubborn rehab, eventually, they fix.

Hold onto that thought.

Bradders

• forum hero
#2861 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 09:03:58 pm
That sounds really grim. I’ve had a lot of injuries, some varying from 6 months to 9 months off, but  never quite the level of associated inconvenience you have there, battery. Very sorry to hear it. My one takeaway from many injuries, is this; with stubborn rehab, eventually, they fix.

Hold onto that thought.

Amen. Also, keep talking about it; suffering in silence is the worst.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#2862 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 09:58:01 pm
Thanks everyone. It's good to talk about it yes, husband is getting a bit fed up of hearing about it I think and because I appear for the most part normal on the school run most people have forgotten about it - if it was a leg and I was walking with a limp it would prompt more conversations maybe but it does all just feel a bit boringly shit right now!!

A bumbag is not a bad plan! Will see if my Pop still has his that he bought back in the day when they were all the rage!

Yes, motivating myself to do my exercises when they are so painful is hard sometimes but I am making myself have a go 3 times a day, even if it isn't for very long.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2863 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 04, 2022, 09:59:58 pm
That sounds shit. Sorry to hear it.

Would you also struggle with one of those unreasonably large bum bags? I'm assuming it's the carry straps that make the pack a no-go?

Was going to suggest the same. I've been to hill races where I have had my stuff in an ultra vest, but others have had marge bumbag type arrangements and seemed to get on OK with them.

Can't do much more than offer sympathy and agree with the above. Stick with the program and have faith. And come on here and rage if it helps.

webbo

• forum hero
#2864 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 05, 2022, 07:47:24 am
When I had my shoulder repaired and was going walking with my arm in a sling. I wore my rucksack using one strap diagonally on my good shoulder. Getting it on and off was a bit awkward but at least I could carry a drink and a waterproof which was a bigger pain to put on one handed.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#2865 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 05, 2022, 08:25:37 am
Thanks everyone. It's good to talk about it yes, husband is getting a bit fed up of hearing about it I think and because I appear for the most part normal on the school run most people have forgotten about it - if it was a leg and I was walking with a limp it would prompt more conversations maybe but it does all just feel a bit boringly shit right now!!

A bumbag is not a bad plan! Will see if my Pop still has his that he bought back in the day when they were all the rage!

Yes, motivating myself to do my exercises when they are so painful is hard sometimes but I am making myself have a go 3 times a day, even if it isn't for very long.

Maybe start a rehab thread? Easy source of encouragement and accountability. Also an outlet for the necessary complaining without laying it all on your husband  ;D

Can also be helpful to make a spreadsheet for these things and include very moderate progress goals etc. All helps with the consistency which is what will sort it in the end.

seankenny

• forum hero
#2866 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 05, 2022, 02:20:51 pm
Any kind of spreadsheet, diary or tickbox is catnip for me. I’ve just got a new symptoms diary and meditation/breathwork sheet for my long covid and now I have a dumb box to tick I’m much better at doing those things.

Part of me feels it’s a bit sad but Jerry Seinfeld has a story about doing something similar - ticking off writing days on the calendar - and he’s clearly a pretty motivated chap…

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2867 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2022, 09:17:10 am
My turn for knee woes. Had a decent run on Monday night, first 10k at a decent pace in a while with cooler temps. Felt fine afterwards, first time with no niggles in ages.

Later on in evening crouched down to get something from garage floor, and felt something in top of knee go, now really sore on top left side of right knee, and sometimes gives a clunk when I straighten it.. Have iced it and got knee support on it right now, going to see a physio this week.

Annoyingly this morning was the first in ages with decent waves, I figured energetic pop-ups would be a very bad idea.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2868 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2022, 09:38:46 am
Sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully something that clears up soon and is just a short term thing

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2869 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2022, 11:53:56 am
Hopefully, that will settle quickly for you Chris.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2870 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2022, 12:33:45 pm
Yeah boo to that, hope it's okay.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#2871 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 13, 2022, 03:15:47 pm
Hey look, another knee issue! My turn this time.

Had my knee scanned after pain while running. Turns out it's a bruised tibia which can be solved pretty exclusively by rest. And has to be solved to avoid long term, bigger issues.

So no running til at least another scan in March, probably no bouldering, need to find out if big walks are out of the question too. Now would be a good time for Leeds Big Depot to open! Else i'll be forced into something like... cycling  :sick:

I had recently been trying to plan a year of racing, including thinking of some as early as April. Looks like those plans are going right out the window. Don't know why I hadn't considered I'd need extended time off, just assumed it'd be a few weeks and some physio, or even just no issue and get over the pain. I suppose it's lucky that it isn't anything too crazy like a ligament tear etc, but it sure seems shit now to miss out on a whole winter of training.  :'(

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2872 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 13, 2022, 05:46:12 pm
Sorry to hear that Ed. Try steep board climbing where you can just climb one-legged or two-legged then drop off onto one. I had a bruised head of my femur once and just moonboarded - when I got to top, I got someone to push a box-jump box under for me to step off onto

edshakey

• forum abuser
#2873 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 13, 2022, 07:14:59 pm
Cheers, glad to hear a similar story.

I hadn't considered controlled one leg falls! I'll give that a go. Might also do some circuit board stuff- doing stuff below my limit (without falls) on there seems less boring and more worthwhile than doing just easy bouldering

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2874 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 13, 2022, 08:02:58 pm
Have you considered climbing with a rope Ed? That’s my solution to not being able to take impacts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal