UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 890943 times)

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2475 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 08:39:18 am
Had the results of my knee scans back... So it turns out the surgery I had 8 years ago (couldn't really remember what they did) removed most of my lateral meniscus, the one you can't live without. This impact basically bashed my Femur and Tibia together as there was no cartilage in between to protect it so the pain is from a heavy bone bruise / minor surface fracture. Good news is this will get better by itself in 6 - 16 weeks.

Bad news is that I'll need to have a lateral meniscus transplant in the next five to ten years to prevent arthritis  :'(

Has anyone on here got experience of meniscectomies / meniscal transplants?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2476 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 09:07:30 am
A mate had transplant done can't remember which, but he's presently working his way through his last munroes.  message me if you have a FB account and i'll try put you in touch.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2477 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 09:09:20 am
Wow Coops - that must have been a surprise!!!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2478 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 11:18:20 am
So sorry Coops, I feel your pain.
I had my left medial meniscus done a few years ago, I had sliced it horizontally and I think they cut away the posterior horn, I don't know to which extent. During the operation they also found that my medial collateral ligament was broken, basically I only had a mess of fibers barely stuck around in the cap. So they cleaned everything, and that made the recovery much longer.
I am now facing probably another problem to my right knee, again the collateral and probably posterior horn of the medial meniscus.
Left is now fine, and right is still functional but very close angles are painful, so no climbing and much more difficult to ride my motorcycle...
Will have a MR scan soon, I fear the result...
Good luck and keep us posted.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2479 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 11:26:02 am
 Bugger, yours sounds quite complex. Hope everything goes well with the scan. Yeah, mine's the result of a bucket handle tear 8 years ago to my lateral meniscus (doc said he'd never seen a lateral tear like that before)  :look: Been loading up on a load of bone vitamins that are meant to help...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2480 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 11:51:25 am
Commiserations Coops. Sounds grim. Can you weightbear for the 6-16 week period?

How did you guys originally hurt your knees? They sound more like the injuries footballers rather than climbers get.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2481 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 01:32:43 pm
During the operation they also found that my medial collateral ligament was broken
Make that the cruciate ligament. Otherwise they wouldn't have cleaned the insode of my knee... Collateral is the right knee...
Anyway: I probably broke my left cruciate with years and years of repeated micro traumas, skiing and playing basketball mainly. Never had a major issue. Sliced my left meniscus heel hooking. 'nuff said. I don't know if maybe I also did some more damage to the cruciate. I had a knee the size of a rugby ball, a bit too much for a sliced meniscus.
I hurt my right collateral while foot on campusing, locking off front on, with right foot and right knee strongly pointed right, pressing down very hard. Then I did something to my right meniscus probably playing basketball again, but more probably simply kneeling down to the ground for a while to play with my girlfriend's two years old niece.
It was worth, she's so nice.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2482 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 18, 2018, 02:20:09 pm
Commiserations Coops. Sounds grim. Can you weightbear for the 6-16 week period?
Yeah, should be able to start using it climbing mid Jan-ish I hope. Hobbling around at the moment, seems to range in pain from feeling fine to almost falling over...

How did you guys originally hurt your knees? They sound more like the injuries footballers rather than climbers get.
Mine was from wear and tear playing rugby throughout my childhood and teenage years

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#2483 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 24, 2019, 03:23:39 pm
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

Seems folk have generally had an OK start to the year.

Not wishing to preempt anything, it's always worth thinking that someone out there has probably had a worse time than you.

Just saying..

(Saved to my "roadkill" album. This reminds me of a photo that Bubba took of a splatted Frog we found at the Tor, that we referred to as "Dyno Frog")

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2484 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 08:50:33 am
Got back to my car after going round a shop in a retail park with my daughter yesterday to discover some weirdo had keyed across 3 panels. Perfectly parked, although car along my side was a bit close to the line so presumably he/she took exception to having to be careful passing between our vehicles.

How inadequate do you have to be to behave like that? I’m glad I’m not that freak.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2485 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 09:37:00 am
I was thinking about this the other week - I use the Leeds Park and Ride, which invariably involves parking a fair way from the bus terminal, then walking between cars, carrying my laptop rucksack thing, which is festooned with an array of buckles, straps etc.

I'm sure my car has picked up a few scratches from others doing the same (not that I care in my £2k shed), but now when I'm weaving inbetween cars I'm really careful to keep my bag off my shoulder, and try to avoid going inbetween new / nice motors!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#2486 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 09:49:05 am
Good to be careful t2t! This however is a deep horizontal gouge from above the rear wheel arch across to the driver’s door which would have needed the force of a key to create. Unbelievable.

A little reminder for me that not everyone is like the nice, normal people we generally work and hang out with.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#2487 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 11:12:38 am
My solution to this problem is the aforementioned £2k Saab shed. Amazing how stress free motoring is when you drive an effectively disposable vehicle.

That said:

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#2488 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 12:12:45 pm
My solution to this problem is the aforementioned £2k Saab shed. Amazing how stress free motoring is when you drive an effectively disposable vehicle.

My theory buying cars, from a mechanical idiot, is

£0-£2000 - possibly good, possibly shit, at least if its a wrong'un it won't have broken the bank
£2k-5k - the danger zone. Significantly more money laid out for very little risk removed; might well still be shit.
£5k plus - probably more likely to be good than shit; the odds are more in your favour at least.

If anyone has any improvements I'm all ears!

andy_e

• forum hero
#2489 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 12:15:10 pm
Age/mileage needs to be an important variable in there too. The car I like the least, though, has been my most expensive and lowest mileage purchase.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2490 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 12:59:06 pm
Imho The sweet spot is to buy at 1yo (30-40% of new price already gone. More if certain marques). Still with 2 years (or more) of warranty.

Run for 3 years. Sell for c. 50% of what you paid for it.

Assuming you buy at 15 and sell at 7.5 that’s 2.5k per year.

Appreciate that’s not everyone’s buy in point but cheaper than most finance / lease plans and no real mileage/returning conditions concerns.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#2491 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 01:13:30 pm
I've been lucky with the last few I've had:

£1400 Nissan Micra - tinny little box, no frills (no central locking, aerobic windows) but bloody hell, it just kept going and going.
£2000 Skoda Fabia - very lucky, mate in the trade landed on a trade-in with 30k on the clock and literally one old lady owner from new. Kept us going for 8 years and c.50k which is a hell of an ROI.
£2000 Saab 9-3 Aero - current ride - not exactly cheap to run but never get tired of the power, and as a family runaround it makes long trips to see family a doddle.

Messed up with my other half's latest though - £2000 Mazda 3, which is mechanically brilliant - less than 40k on the clock, FSH etc and drives like new.

Only problem is it's been smoked in for its whole life and damn, you cannot get the smell out. I think on test drive the seller must have deployed an airfreshner "bomb" (which I've since tried to no long-term effect) to mask the smell so I didn't clock it.

It's at the point where we're thinking of moving it on sadly, which is a shame as there is literally nothing else wrong with it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2492 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 01:27:07 pm
This might produce a YYFY soon but I've been undergoing an unbelievably prolonged, opaque, and frustrating recruitment process for literally months - its totally fucking with our lives and I'm sick of it. Just had to get that out.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2493 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 03:14:10 pm
This might produce a YYFY soon but I've been undergoing an unbelievably prolonged, opaque, and frustrating recruitment process for literally months - its totally fucking with our lives and I'm sick of it. Just had to get that out.

CIA? SIS?

I’m kidding.
But a few years ago, I went through both NCA and Security Service recruitment (before my life went tits up), looking for something more interesting in life. Now, there’s some arcane and baffling shite...

Edit:

Good luck though!

andy popp

• forum hero
#2494 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 04:40:00 pm
No, just a boring old university. Thanks for the good wishes.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2495 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 05:58:01 pm

Well, you would say that, wouldn’t you...
Nudge, nudge, 😉😉

🤣

tomtom

• forum hero
#2496 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 07:18:48 pm

I’ve yet to experience a University with a competent HR department... we discovered the other day that our HR and marketing departments comprised 12% of all staff 😱

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#2497 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 07:23:36 pm

I’ve yet to experience a University an organization with a competent HR department...

You're welcome.

Did you get the merchandise to Simon btw?

tomtom

• forum hero
#2498 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 08:54:52 pm

I’ve yet to experience a University an organization with a competent HR department...

You're welcome.

Did you get the merchandise to Simon btw?

Nope - he went to Malham..... i’ll See him in the next week or two.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#2499 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 14, 2019, 09:21:17 pm
ta

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal