UKBouldering.com

Work bike question... (Read 4527 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Work bike question...
January 31, 2009, 11:47:58 am
Hello,
I'm thinking of starting to cycle to work (presently 25min walk) and have a rarely used (its gathering dust) 2001 Trek 4005 (I think..) which is still in great shape. Just pondering whether to get some road tyres, lights and poss some sort of muguard/rack/panier things and roadify the Trek - or to spend a couple of hundred quid (or more) on something for the job. THe Treks fine, but the gears are not ideal for the road (top is too steep and next to top too slow). OK, I'll fess up, I had an evans cycles catalog flop on the doormat this morning and having a thumb through got me thinking of aquiring some shiny new kit.
Any advice??
T

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Work bike question...
January 31, 2009, 11:57:17 am

I'd just do up the one you've got - no need for anything flash for the commute.

Is it a mountain bike? Can't find any info on Trek 4005.

Semi-slick tyres are great and if the gear ratios are wrong just get a different block with the ones you want.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#2 Re: Work bike question...
January 31, 2009, 05:34:14 pm
Just stick some slicks, a rack and mud guards on and you are good to go. Spending a few hundred on something will just give you a shit bike. Better spend a while commmuting on your existing bike, then come the spring when you have "proven" your good intent you have all the reasoning you need to spunk a lot more on a bike.

squeek

• junky
#3 Re: Work bike question...
January 31, 2009, 07:02:40 pm
Trek 4500?  It'll do the job.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: Work bike question...
January 31, 2009, 07:54:20 pm
 :agree:

Be warned my bike habit started with my brothers trek 4000 series... Go to it!

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Work bike question...
February 01, 2009, 01:02:24 pm
Thanks everyone,... it is a 4500 btw (couldnt remember the numbers) handles really nicely, but probably a bit dated now - Anyway, I'll pop around the corner and get some sensible tyres. Any advice there? is it worth getting the puncture resistent ones etc? And lights? - I dont want to go mad (I see some lights are > £100 :'() but similarly want something visible.. Last time I bought bike lights was 10 years ago... I suspect (hope) that LED technology has moved on a lot since then,...
T

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 01:49:27 pm
as you plan on using it in the wonderful city of hull.i'd sack off the gears make it a single speed and paint it with emulsion which might help stop it getting knicked and given the steepest hill will be a flyover or railway bridge you ain't gone need 20 + gears.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 03:01:33 pm
as you plan on using it in the wonderful city of hull.i'd sack off the gears make it a single speed and paint it with emulsion which might help stop it getting knicked and given the steepest hill will be a flyover or railway bridge you ain't gone need 20 + gears.
Good advice, I know a few people who've had their bike chabbed around here. If it has two wheels, nail it down. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks, as work are putting in a new bike store next to our building - if it looks half safe/decent I'll give it a go. Otherwise I can put it in my office, but theres two flights of stairs...
No hills, but a lower gear or two would be nice when pedalling into that lovely strong winter easterly  :)
T

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 03:14:21 pm
back in the day before i needed a car for work.i used to use an old single speed road bike round hull with 42x18 painted in hammerite blue.it would have to hell of a head wind to struggle on that gear.also proper mudguards are a must unless you like sitting around in wet shreddies.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 03:27:24 pm
also proper mudguards are a must unless you like sitting around in wet shreddies.

Shower and a change of clothes works just as well if your fortunate enough to have the facilities.

chappers

• forum hero
#10 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 03:36:36 pm
stealing your wheels?
ive got this on my front wheel - i think it would confuse your average chav for sure...

www.hubjub.co.uk/etc/pitlock.htm

as for riding, i did the job on the exact same bike as you have for about a year, get some semi slicks - mine were "city jets" or something.

mud guards will make your ride much better.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#11 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 03:45:47 pm
although single speed may sound attractive, the drop outs on your trek won't allow for any tensioning of the chain

this'd mean installing an eccentric bottom bracket, perhaps a cost you'd rather avoid

schwalbe marathons are as good a tyre as any

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#12 Re: Work bike question...
February 02, 2009, 04:54:20 pm
although single speed may sound attractive, the drop outs on your trek won't allow for any tensioning of the chain

this'd mean installing an eccentric bottom bracket, perhaps a cost you'd rather avoid

Plenty of manufacturers sell SS tensioning kits. I used to use the on-one doofer on my last single speed, but there are loads of others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal