UKBouldering.com

Diets (Read 21679 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Diets
October 07, 2003, 10:39:18 am
I'm currently on a regime to reverse my burgeoning fat bastard tendencies.

I'm counting calories religiously and eating about 600 less than my recommended BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) per day.  This has worked to an extent and I'm now 9 lbs down on when I got back from holiday.

I'm also cutting down on carbs big-style, not to the extent of the Atkin's diet as that's a bit extreme and hardly healthy, but substituting veg for bread/rice, loads more fruit, lots of grilled chicken and prawns.

What else do people recommend? What's worked for you?

Do low carb diets make sense?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Re: Diets
October 07, 2003, 10:44:29 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
I'm currently on a regime to reverse my burgeoning fat bastard tendencies.

I'm counting calories religiously and eating about 600 less than my recommended BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) per day.  This has worked to an extent and I'm now 9 lbs down on when I got back from holiday.

I'm also cutting down on carbs big-style, not to the extent of the Atkin's diet as that's a bit extreme and hardly healthy, but substituting veg for bread/rice, loads more fruit, lots of grilled chicken and prawns.

What else do people recommend? What's worked for you?

Do low carb diets make sense?

A diet of pasta and pesto with cheese every night, sandwiches for dinner and cycling into work, (16 miles a week) has seem my weight tumble! Climbing better for it too!

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#2 Diets
October 07, 2003, 10:45:02 am
Brekkie - Cereal (Cheerio/Crunchy Nuts)
Lunch - Soup with Go Ahead bar
Dinner - Anything you like.

Climb 3 times a week - It worked for me as I was doing those routine last year when I was 15 stone punter and now I am proudly 11 and half stone but still am punter  :roll:

dave

#3 Diets
October 07, 2003, 10:45:06 am
i can't see no/low carb diets being very good in the long term personally. surely if you went on a low carb diet long term you wouldn't be able to build any muscle (i.e. get stronger) cos the body would constantly be burning off muscle for food? I'm no biologist though, so some fact would be helpfull.

You maybe should get one of those george formby grilling things, evenyone i know raves about em. you'd have to ashew all temptation to take the run-off fat and make fried bread though.

Just eat loads of brocolli -'80s style!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Diets
October 07, 2003, 10:57:33 am
I think no-carb is a bad idea, but I'm trying to cut out bread/rice/pasta of an evening but still have a sandwich for lunch to eat less carbs than usual, as I reckon they're one of my downfalls - I can eat bread 'til I burst.

Broccoli is really nice, especially with a bit of lemon and yesterday I rediscovered Spinach - yum! I made spinach, prawns and chilli which sounds boke but was really nice.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 Diets
October 07, 2003, 01:32:40 pm
On about brocolli - get a steamer, best £3.50 I ever spent. It actually makes vegetables taste nice!

The missus follows a diet similar to that you describe Bubs, she rates it too, although she's only about 8st anyway she still managed to loose some.

dave

#6 Diets
October 07, 2003, 01:40:54 pm
Ahhh steamers - they are the bizzomb. last christmas soemone bought me a steamer very similar to this (but i dare say not as expensive!) which is flava cos you can take it to another level and steam so much shit at once. I wouldn't eat non-steamed brocolli really cos all the good stuff comes out of it during boiling. also another good tip is leave a fiar bit of stalk on the broc cos apparently most of the good shit is in the stalky bits.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Diets
October 07, 2003, 01:49:53 pm
Think our rice cooker thingy doubles as a steamer so will look into it.  Hell, I might even steam me some goddam spinach tonight.

dave

#8 Diets
October 07, 2003, 02:00:40 pm
i wish our kitchen was finished so i could cook summert, cos its either the chippy or the chinky for me tonite.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Diets
October 07, 2003, 02:21:32 pm
My diet consists of mostly spicy food and beer. At thirteen stone and increasing its easy to see that this diet doesn't work :(
The misses is on and off atkins at the minute. It's great atkins cos you can loose a stone in two weeks but I really enjoy bread and fried potato goodies (who doesn't) and my will power is weakened after giving up smoking 3 years ago (although I do smoke occasionaly now - maybe 10 a week tops - but not a scratch on thirty a day before that)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Diets
October 09, 2003, 11:52:19 am
12lbs shifted since the holiday  :D

Pleased but am worried it's a bit too quick. Feel ok though, and am not starving myself. Getting through a lot of prawns and chicken mind.

Top foods so far: Grilled chicken with artichoke hearts, and Spinach, prawns and chilli - sweet.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#11 Diets
October 09, 2003, 12:06:14 pm
what do you guys reckon to vitamin suppliments? i dont reckon me going on a diet is a good idea yet cos of my age. i am thinking about starting on some cod liver oil aswell...is it worth it?

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#12 Diets
October 09, 2003, 12:07:42 pm
One thing I have learned about diet is if you shift weight quickly and you will gain more weight quickly too.

Take it easy, be patient.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Diets
October 09, 2003, 12:10:52 pm
Well, don't bother dieting unless you're overweight. Check your Body Mass Index: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

But bear in mind that if you have a big frame, very small frame, or are very muscular, then your BMI can read higher than on those calculations and still be ok.

Vitamin supplements? I don't think they're a substitute for a well balanced healthy diet, but I've taken them for years. Can't hurt (except for your wallet).

lleyton

• regular
#14 Diets
October 14, 2003, 01:36:14 pm
as far as no-carb making you burn off loadsa muscle, i dont rekon that's the case - protein has lots of energy so it will be used by the body instead of carbs. no so for fruit and veg tho - except things like pulses and nutz. obviously if you count potatos as veg then thats carbs innit? confusing!  :?

this summer i went to india and bouldered at hampi. really good, and i had the shitz for 6 weex. i was lookin 4wud 2 the weight loss, which did happen but then when i got home i put it all on again and was much more flabby than b4. so crash weight gain prob not a good thing if you dont feel you can sustain the new lifestyle.

lleyton

• regular
#15 Diets
October 14, 2003, 01:37:27 pm
errr, crash weight loss.....not gain. bluddy eegit.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Diets
October 14, 2003, 02:36:24 pm
Quote from: "lleyton"
so crash weight loss prob not a good thing if you dont feel you can sustain the new lifestyle.

Very true but really to stay light, you need to adjust your lifestyle I guess. When I reach my target weight I'm not suddenly going to start eating pies and cooked brekkys all the time, but slowly increase my calories to find a maintanence weight where I neither gain nor lose any more weight.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#17 Diets
October 14, 2003, 02:47:01 pm
Quote from: "lleyton"
as far as no-carb making you burn off loadsa muscle, i dont rekon that's the case - protein has lots of energy so it will be used by the body instead of carbs. no so for fruit and veg tho - except things like pulses and nutz. obviously if you count potatos as veg then thats carbs innit? confusing!  :?

Fruit, pulses, nuts and potatoes are all carbs
Atkins is basically meat , fish, cheese, cream, eggs, poultry and some veg and salad
Very true but really to stay light, you need to adjust your lifestyle I guess. When I reach my target weight I'm not suddenly going to start eating pies and cooked brekkys all the time, but slowly increase my calories to find a maintanence weight where I neither gain nor lose any more weight

All sounds like too much work to me, I'm just glad I do a manual job where I can eat and drink as much as I like and don't have too worry about getting too fat (although I would like to be thinner). If I get to 14 stone, I'll start worrying then.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Diets
October 23, 2003, 08:14:08 am
1.5 stone gone this morning  :D

Another stone and a bit to go I reckon....

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#19 Diets
October 23, 2003, 09:06:38 am
Nice one Bubba. What problems have got lined up now you are lighter?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Diets
October 23, 2003, 09:18:29 am
The thing I'd really like to be able to do again is the Green Traverse at the Plantation. Back in the day before I had 8 years off, I used to do it as part of the standard circuit and it was always a good gauge to how strong I was feeling, but I've not been able to do it for years.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#21 Diets
October 23, 2003, 10:57:30 am
1.5 stone gone this morning  :D
:shock:
Blimmey thats some good going

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Diets
October 23, 2003, 10:59:09 am
Just seems to be dropping off - hope it continues at this rate. I was worried that it was too fast but I feel just fine with plenty of energy, etc.

I'll probably keel over or turn diabetic or something hideous  :D

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#23 Diets
November 03, 2003, 09:11:51 am
you gotta strike the right balance between losing fat but still staying strong. I've been vegan for ages so i'm taking a protein suppliment in small doses to help my muscle growth but i generally survive of pasta with tomatoe stuff, marmite sandwiches and speacial K red berry cereal. in 5 months i've lost 2.5 stone.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 Diets
November 03, 2003, 06:57:40 pm
Yeah, definitely a problem if you just diet and don't train - I've been trying to to short but heavy workouts at the gym to keep my strength up and eating plenty of protein....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal