UKBouldering.com

Laptop Repairs (Read 2314 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Laptop Repairs
January 20, 2009, 01:21:42 pm
There are a few threads about problems with laptops (e.g. here, here and here for some of the more recent ones).

I managed to screw up my laptop the other day poking around at the memory (stupidly didn't remove the battery before removing and replacing so have probably shorted the memory PCB or the Motherboard).

Anyway, I'm hopefully going to get my laptop fixed myself, but have been scouting around for repair companies just in case I can't and found eNext who claim to run a "No Repair, No Fee" policy on repairs which seems quite reasonable.  And their fees for replacing simple components look quite good too (i.e. Free).*

Anyway, thought I'd mention it for others reference.  If I end up using them I'll comment on their service.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 20, 2009, 02:29:14 pm
Slackers, I have a couple of sodimms (I think??) both 512mg from an old laptop on my desk. You're welcome to them if you think thats what is at fault..?
They were from a Dell inspiron 630m if thats any help.. I think laptop memory is kinda generic nowadays..
T

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 20, 2009, 02:45:01 pm
Slackers, I have a couple of sodimms (I think??) both 512mg from an old laptop on my desk. You're welcome to them if you think thats what is at fault..?
They were from a Dell inspiron 630m if thats any help.. I think laptop memory is kinda generic nowadays..
T

Damn, just ordered a replacement from Scan last night, would have worked perfectly.  Cheers for the offer though, tomtom

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 20, 2009, 06:35:58 pm
You could always not open it and send back? I can bung mine in the post at work tomorrow if you like? Its just gathering dust...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 20, 2009, 11:28:34 pm
That'd probably cost about 1/4 of the overall price, plus I'm impatient and want to get the thing working (was going to use the laptop as DVD player for new TV in the bedroom), but thanks again for the offer.

If you want shot of it, stick it on ebay for £6-10, I'm sure it won't hang around for long and you'd get some beer tokens  :thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 21, 2009, 12:26:29 am
That'd probably cost about 1/4 of the overall price, plus I'm impatient and want to get the thing working (was going to use the laptop as DVD player for new TV in the bedroom), but thanks again for the offer.

If you want shot of it, stick it on ebay for £6-10, I'm sure it won't hang around for long and you'd get some beer tokens  :thumbsup:

I've got a DVD player you can have if you like Slack, its Sony, multi-region but its not overly small....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 21, 2009, 07:44:39 am

I've got a DVD player you can have if you like Slack, its Sony, multi-region but its not overly small....

Cheers for the offer Paul, but the RAM arrived 10 minutes ago and the laptop has been revived  ;D :thumbsup:

I'm working towards building a new server and setting up MythTV on it, and running MythTV clients on the laptops and a dedciated PVR in the living room.  Seems like the way forward as I can then have music, video, DVDs and t'interweb seamlessly integrarated.

Got the fun of dismantling the laptop again this evening to fit a bluetooth module that was foolishly ommitted when the laptop was purchased.  Fingers crossed I won't screw it up again  :-[

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Laptop Repairs
January 21, 2009, 09:28:03 am

I'm working towards building a new server and setting up MythTV on it, and running MythTV clients on the laptops and a dedciated PVR in the living room.  Seems like the way forward as I can then have music, video, DVDs and t'interweb seamlessly integrarated.
You've got too much free time!  ;)
Glad all working well..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal