UKBouldering.com

smart phone recommendations please (Read 2450 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
smart phone recommendations please
November 08, 2014, 09:59:42 pm
I realise this is a long shot since everything's shit and the consumer electronics market is aimed at morons but if you can endorse a device (not necessarily a smart phone) that will do the following I'd appreciate it:

i) music/mp3 player with a decent, satisfying, non-laggy interface.  expandable with micro sd card >/= 32Gb.  Shuffle function that actually shuffles and remembers where it left off.  Would prefer buttons but will probably have to make do with touch screen these days.  Crucially, able to browse and play music by folder.  Decent battery life would be a bonus but not crucial as long is it can cope with carrying on playing music with a usb connected.

ii) half decent web browser.  not bothered about mobile internet just wifi

iii) Can use skype reliably.  (Except not skype anymore as that's gone crap since microsoft got hold of it but something similar.)

iv) relatively robust device

v) will work and be seen simply as a disk drive by my pc  (so don't have to arse about with any software or syncing shenanigans) 

not bothered about; camera (got a camera); phone (got a phone).

Reading that back, maybe I'd be better off with a small tablet rather than a smart phone.... Even if there's something that can do just (i) I'd love to hear about it as I haven't found one yet.

cheers

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 smart phone recommendations please
November 08, 2014, 10:02:11 pm
Pretty much any recent-ish Android phone or tablet with a micro sd card slot will do all of that..

If you want the music parts to be more portable then phone might be better..?

Steve R

• forum abuser
#2 Re: smart phone recommendations please
November 08, 2014, 10:28:03 pm
I have got an android phone already (i think) and you could just about manage all of the above if your life depended on it but generally, it's a miserable thing to try and use.  So hoping to find something that does stuff well...  Portability-wise, need music when I'm working and like it in the car, but never need a player about my person so tablet fine i guess.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3 Re: smart phone recommendations please
November 08, 2014, 10:42:56 pm
That android phone I gave you is a bag of wank, so don't use that as a comparison.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#4 Re: smart phone recommendations please
November 08, 2014, 11:01:36 pm
yeah, thanks for nothing

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5 Re: smart phone recommendations please
November 08, 2014, 11:33:18 pm
My top pick. Buying it this way is the cheapest way about at the mo, but a little bit of hassle.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nexus-7-latest-32gb-4g-tablet-for-120-potentially-90-with-quidco-cashback-using-2045265

Slightly bigger screen. Smaller (but expandable) memory. Costs more.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Pad-8-3-inch-Tablet-Processor/dp/B00G47TMNE

Or get a better android phone. Moto G options are the popular cheap androids at the minute as good value for money. It depends on your budget though. You still get what you pay for though. That said, you could do what I did and import a phone from china. The phone is great. I worked on the basis that phone warranties are useless even when bought in this country.
http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-a8-5-hd-mt6592-16gb-lte-4g_p/meri10464.htm?setCurrencyId=41

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal