UKBouldering.com

M$ Windows 7 (Read 18135 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#25 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 09:31:21 am
Having done a little reading there's no way I'll be intalling this beta version on the one & only PC my partner & I possess.  By the time I get another PC 7 will be out of testing and on it's way.

Are people really doing this on their only PC?

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#26 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 09:34:12 am
oh hell no! I'm keen not reckless!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 09:46:19 am
You can have both installed at the same time, you get a choice during boot which to use.

£45 for an operating system which you use every day and will support almost every program under the sun seems like a decent deal to me. I'm not averse to occasionally paying for software if its very good and reasonably priced.

I used Vista for a couple of months and couldn't see what the fuss was about. It wasn't terrible at all, it worked fine. My belief is people just don't like change.

Since installing windows 7 my vista install is now asking for a new product key. I'm hoping I won't need it again, but presumably the two are related?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#28 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 10:12:15 am
£45 for an operating system which you use every day and will support almost every program under the sun seems like a decent deal to me. I'm not averse to occasionally paying for software if its very good and reasonably priced.

Being the pedant I am I very much doubt you'd find it easy to run programs compiled for the Sun Microsystems OS Solaris e.g. the regular expression parser 'grep' (which is now also open-source) under M$-7 (with out the use of a virtual machine, but then you wouldn't really be running it under M$-7 in the truest sense), but I'm being facetious as I know thats not what you really meant  :-*

Good to hear that M$ have pulled their thumb out with the driver support by the sounds of it though.

I used Vista for a couple of months and couldn't see what the fuss was about. It wasn't terrible at all, it worked fine. My belief is people just don't like change.

You've hit an obvious nail with a very large hammer there.  In my opinion its a very large factor that prevents people from even trying out other OS's than those from M$ (obviously there are people who rely on certain software products such as photoshop for their work that have other factors contributing too though).

But anyway, enough evangelism, off to the Pass this weekend, hopefully this fucking shite weather will clear up.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 10:22:48 am
Well, as I've mentioned before, the ability to run Lightroom & Photoshop is the dealbreaker for me. As far as I'm aware these aren't supported by anything but MS and Mac.

Windows 7 is very good, that's my impression so far. Adoption will be wide because they've added enough nice interface tricks to make dealing with the change seem worthwhile. If Vista had a fault, its that the UI was too close to XP (and could be customised to be closer). So you had obfuscation without obvious benefit.

I may well buy a Win 7 license whilst they are cheap, assuming I don't need to upgrade for 2 years that £45 amounts to 40p per week -  lets face it, 'fuck all'.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#30 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 11:41:37 am
Well, as I've mentioned before, the ability to run Lightroom & Photoshop is the dealbreaker for me. As far as I'm aware these aren't supported by anything but MS and Mac.

That's what it comes down to for me also.  People claim that Gimp is equivilent but it just isn't as good in reality.  If it were then PS wouldn't be the professionals tool of choice given that it ain't cheap and Gimp's free.

That said you can run PS under linux using Wine - I have done before and had no problems.  I'm not too sure about Lightroom though.  You can also run grep under windows using cygwin.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 17, 2009, 12:04:24 pm
That's what it comes down to for me also.  People claim that Gimp is equivilent but it just isn't as good in reality.  If it were then PS wouldn't be the professionals tool of choice given that it ain't cheap and Gimp's free.

There is still the historical aspect of having learnt and invested time and money in PS that is a major factor in its perpetuation.  Thats not to say that it isn't a superior product to its peers, but the whole industry thing is based on people having made a name/career at being able to use one piece of software (similar situation in statistics where SAS/SPSS/S-Plus used to be industry standards, but excellent alternatives such as Stata and R are now gaining ground).

That said you can run PS under linux using Wine - I have done before and had no problems.  I'm not too sure about Lightroom though.  

Not everything works with WINE though, Nikon's Capture NX/NX2 doesn't.  If you really wanted to regularly use PS or such like then you'd be better off running a Virtual Machine and running M$ under that.

You can also run grep under windows using cygwin.

Ahh, someone else who knows/uses Cygwin.  Its exceptionally handy and something I install on every M$-windoze machine I have the misfortune to use.

Unfortunately not everything is available for it, for example I've searched and looked but can't find a package for the very handy [urlhttp://mama.indstate.edu/users/ice/tree/tree[/url] command that I use all the time and efforts to compile manually have failed.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 21, 2009, 02:22:39 pm
The Window(s) are ajar

("How can a window [door] be a jar?" wad point for anyone who gets the quote, not too hard though )

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#33 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 21, 2009, 02:40:03 pm
after using windows 7 for a week or so now I have to admit its very good, everything seems to just work, I haven't even needed to install codecs yet.
Managed to find a patch for it to make it genuine so I am going to roll it out to all my other machines (x86 on the laptops)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#34 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 21, 2009, 06:02:05 pm
Genuine? As in won't expire in twelve months or as in not the beta version?

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 21, 2009, 06:30:42 pm
after using windows 7 for a week or so now I have to admit its very good, everything seems to just work, I haven't even needed to install codecs yet.
Managed to find a patch for it to make it genuine so I am going to roll it out to all my other machines (x86 on the laptops)

Spill the beans Jim - whats this patch??

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#36 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 21, 2009, 06:39:31 pm
I'm not using the beta version, its the RTM version and there is a patch to make it genuine which I found on a torrent site.
I can send you a link by PM if you PM me for it but I don't want to draw unwanted attention towards this forum

tomtom

• forum hero
#37 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 21, 2009, 08:11:26 pm
I'm not using the beta version, its the RTM version and there is a patch to make it genuine which I found on a torrent site.
I can send you a link by PM if you PM me for it but I don't want to draw unwanted attention towards this forum

Cheers Jim, Will do, though I googled it and found a few free things online - which I may try first!
T

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#38 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 22, 2009, 10:25:44 am
I heard about this patch, but the version I got was that you still needed a serial number for windows 7 ultimate. Is this true?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#39 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 22, 2009, 11:25:55 am
If you get the latest 1.8 tool kit it does it all for you

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 22, 2009, 05:21:11 pm
Having read some posts about W7 being a wee bit faster I've just been doing some benchmarking on W7 vs XP.
W7's running the modelling software I use/write about 10-15% slower... that is on a netboook (samsung NC10)...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#41 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 22, 2009, 07:13:00 pm
depends if you disable all the aero theme and all the effect type stuff that xp doesn't have

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#42 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 23, 2009, 02:41:45 pm
the RTM was officially launched this morning

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#43 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 23, 2009, 02:50:24 pm
Build "7600.16385" - if you are searching for it... 

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#44 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 23, 2009, 02:52:05 pm
had it for a while, I suspect that there is a later build just released

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#45 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 23, 2009, 02:57:02 pm
Dunno - http://www.sevenforums.com/news/17713-windows-7-hits-rtm.html

This suggests that the delay from the build on the 13th July till the announcement is due to testing, which makes sense. 

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#46 Re: M$ Windows 7
July 30, 2009, 01:38:31 pm
There is a usable flash demo of the new windows OS here:

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/

The new version of Solitaire is interesting.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#47 Re: M$ Windows 7
August 06, 2009, 04:04:55 pm
Brilliant.  :lol:

Spanish John

• regular
#48 Re: M$ Windows 7
August 06, 2009, 04:39:17 pm
There is a usable flash demo of the new windows OS here:

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/

The new version of Solitaire is interesting.

That looked more like vista to me
tick vg

underground

• forum hero
#49 Re: M$ Windows 7
December 08, 2009, 11:26:53 pm
Dragging this topic back but, I'm jus experiencing windows 7 after 2 years on Vista and it is indeed like Vista that works, but rather like, how vista should have worked. The GUI is largely the same, a few little tweaks but nothing groundbreaking.

Lots of hype I've heard around this release - but is it just what they should have held off for in the first place? Was Vista some shonky beta release? Fuck knows - but as a windows user, my O/S life is much better now. Luckily I didn't have to cough up any cash.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal