UKBouldering.com

Torn muscle fibres! Lots of torn muscle fibres! (Read 1321 times)

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
After doing a few problems outdoors, followed by a hefty indoor climbing and training session on Sunday I discovered a small bruise and tender to the touch patch at the base of my bicep.  Although it didn't hurt when I used the muscle, when contracted there was a fifty pence piece size dimple type thing.  

Quietly shitting myself I dragged myself off to the doctor who said (as the title would suggest) I'd torn a load of muscle fibres.  To my surprise she told me to keep climbing and training as usual, as this would help it get better.

As part of my uni course I study sports injuries quite a lot and what I've learnt suggests that training is the worst thing I should do.

Have any of you had a similar injury and what were you told?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Well I'd have to say that you're probably the expert!

I can't see how it makes sense to train on torn muscle fibres - I suppose a compromise would be to do very light training?

dave

slightly off-topic but isn't one of the principles of powerlifters/strongmen etc to actually do weights so heavy as to actually tear the muscle fibre slightly as an aid to getting stronger cos when its repairs it is actually stronger? or did i just dream that?

could end up being the best thing that could happen to you!

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
I can only hope!

(woz)

• forum abuser
yeah i heard that as well but it doesnt sound quite right! :roll:
training without warmups would be the way to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal