UKBouldering.com

Evolution - exchange client (Read 1777 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Evolution - exchange client
January 06, 2009, 04:22:47 pm
Hello,
I'm just playing with an Ubuntu'd up Dell mini 9 (hence the many ptrobable typo's while I get my fat fingers around the keyboard!). ANYWAY.. I'm trying to use Evolution to get my work email (exchange server) and either I have the settings wrong (prbabale) or Evolution is a load of dogs poo as an email client for exchange. Its probably hindered by running through owa but seems to work sometimes - other not, loads some data then times out...
Frustrating. Its also frustrating that there are no other exchange clients out there (for linux or windowns) as the client on my Iphone is much better (speed wise) than Outlook. Semi rant over.. any help muchos appreciated...
Tom

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Evolution - exchange client
January 06, 2009, 04:32:24 pm
Don't use Evolution nor have I had the misfortune to encounter Exchange Servers, but would this help?

If you want to try something else you may find that Mozilla Thunderbird plays ball with Exchange

To install it'll probably be something like...

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird

(although the package may be called something different, like just plain "thunderbird").

slack

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Evolution - exchange client
January 06, 2009, 05:39:23 pm
Cheers Slackers,
I had a go, but I think out IT Guys have closed the IMAP back door (may be wrong) as I know some people who had Tbird removed kicking and screaming when things were migrated to exchange. 've had a go, but not sure I have the right imap host and smpt address etc.. so may try again tomorrow but enough for today.
Not sure what to think of Linux.... used to uyse it all the time about 10 years ago, then got fed up with the perpetual tinklering and went to MS things.... its certainly much better than it iused to be - regarding updates and installing software (thouhg it wont let me install Skype - tells me I dont have i386 architecture! ) and open office seems fairly good - though butchered a couple of my ppts...
I have a nagging suspicion I shall be taking it to our IT bods in a week and saying - can you put xp on it please... which will be a bit of a shame... we'll see. Enough linux based ramblings its time for a cuppa,
T

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Evolution - exchange client
January 06, 2009, 10:58:06 pm
I shall be taking it to our IT bods in a week and saying - can you put xp on it please... which will be a bit of a shame...
One of our bods put Vista on one this week to see what it is like. Apparently its pretty easy to put 2gig in them. Should run ok if you vLite it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Evolution - exchange client
January 07, 2009, 12:06:16 am
've had a go, but not sure I have the right imap host and smpt address etc.. so may try again tomorrow but enough for today.

Not read in detail the links I posted, but they may be useful, unless of course Exchange needs to have imap/smtp enabled in which case you may well be stuck with Evolution (if it supports connecting to Exchange with whatever weird and wonderful protocol M$ have opted to develop and keep secret from the rest of the world).

(thouhg it wont let me install Skype - tells me I dont have i386 architecture! )

Well first response would be that you're running 64-bit OS, which won't be the case on your Dell mini.  Check the Ubuntu forums for advice/help, very useful helpful people, I'm sure its possible.

and open office seems fairly good - though butchered a couple of my ppts...
...because the file specification is proprietry and M$ haven't released the details, hence any ability that OpenOffice has of supporting such files is thanks to immense efforts to reverse engineer and understand the file protocol!!!  If you want to do slides prepare them in OpenOffice, then save it as a PDF that will then be platform neutral (or learn how to use LaTeX with the Prosper package, far superior/beautiful, but rather geeky  ;) ).

I have a nagging suspicion I shall be taking it to our IT bods in a week and saying - can you put xp on it please... which will be a bit of a shame... we'll see. Enough linux based ramblings its time for a cuppa,
T

Its all about choice at the end of the day  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal