UKBouldering.com

West Side Story question.... (Read 10600 times)

Stubbs

#25 Re: West Side Story question....
January 12, 2009, 02:33:05 pm

the end? - jeremy klein and heath kircharts section is possibly the single greatest bit of cinematography of all time...

yeah right was average at best!

I assume these two parts of the post had to be a joke.   Art bars is one of my favourite videos, but to mention The End in the  same list as your other choices is pretty funny.  Would 'Welcome to Hell' not make your list?
"Im waiting in my cold cell when the bell begins to chime
Reflecting on my past life and it doesnt have much time
Cos at 5 oclock they take me to the gallows pole
The sands of time for me are running low"

wintermute

• menacing presence
#26 Re: West Side Story question....
January 12, 2009, 02:45:54 pm
haha, cinematography was definitely the wrong word, my mistake (and clearly ignorance shining through). Choreography is probably more fitting.
Granted the end is completely the opposite to the other ones, but personally i just think that section is so tongue in cheek that it makes me smile everytime i see it, especially due to the choice in music. In fact, the whole video does.
I'm not saying Yeah Right isn't a good video, and it does have some unbelievable skating in it, but i just wouldn't ever put it near the top of my list. For me, it lacks something special.
I'm sure most people wouldn't agree with what i consider the best (ie. the ones i watch over and over, and that stand it to me) but nevermind. I have dodgy taste. I was also a bit too enthusiastic to pipe up about skating.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#27 Re: West Side Story question....
January 13, 2009, 05:00:33 am
Questionable will always be up there for one of the best. Not specifically for the way it was shot but because the skating was miles ahead of anything which had been released before.

As for artistic license - I loved the Tony Hawk / Bucky Lasek section in said Birdhouse film

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#28 Re: West Side Story question....
January 13, 2009, 10:21:01 am

I assume these two parts of the post had to be a joke.   Art bars is one of my favourite videos, but to mention The End in the  same list as your other choices is pretty funny.  Would 'Welcome to Hell' not make your list?
"Im waiting in my cold cell when the bell begins to chime
Reflecting on my past life and it doesnt have much time
Cos at 5 oclock they take me to the gallows pole
The sands of time for me are running low"

Totally forgot about that section. That line he does through Brooklyn banks is one of the sickest lines I can remember, cue the beginning of JT's self-indulgent parts. I think my favourite film was the Emerica movie that was totally gay for green tints and deathlenses. Has anyone in climbing used a deathlense, dunno if it would have epic applications in making certain moves look huge.

Stubbs

#29 Re: West Side Story question....
January 13, 2009, 10:25:58 am
Most of the BigUp films are heavy on the wide angle action, not sure it's full on deathlens but definitely wiiiide. 

dave

#30 Re: West Side Story question....
January 13, 2009, 10:29:02 am
by "deathlens" do you mean fisheye? I've seen loads of climbing shot on fisheyes (see youtube etc), its one of those things that when you do see it its generally overdone (like having an entire 10mine vid shot on it) and hence looks wack. can look decent in small portions.

Stubbs

#31 Re: West Side Story question....
January 13, 2009, 10:48:38 am
Not just fish eye, high end super wide fish eye - generally less whack looking as there's less distortion than cheapo ones.
http://www.vx1000.com/deathlensguidearticle.htm

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#32 Re: West Side Story question....
January 13, 2009, 11:12:37 am
Had noticed the wide shots in BIGup vids but didn't know if it was deathlenses or not. The old footage of Dave Graham on Jade might have been a deathlense, thinking about how it made the holds look. They were sick for skating cause they made ledges look huge but kept skaters in proportion.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#33 Re: West Side Story question....
January 17, 2009, 07:51:11 pm
The use of the death lens in climbing films is not much cop becuase it blurs the perspecitve and you can't really get the understanding of where the climber is in relation to the holds etc. It is much easier to parse where a skater is relation to a drop down 20 steps vs the position of a climber in relation to the sloper and how much hip swing there is. Thus in skating it adds impact and scale but in climbing it adds an edge of unreality and vaugeness.
Don't know why I have such a strong opinion on this. I think the subject has come up some long time ago, giving me the oportunity to reflect..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal