UKBouldering.com

Weird Words... (Read 70460 times)

crzylgs

• stalker
#175 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 05:48:12 pm
Oh this is a fun thread - I am now going to ruin everyone by pointing out the extreme over use of two words:

Stuff(s)

Thing(s)

Over the last year or so be it listening to a podcast, TV/radio reports or in person conversation it seems a rare occurrence for someone to string together a single coherent sentence without improperly or inaccurate use of the word stuff and/or thing. Rather than using the more exact and specific term they should challenge their brain to retrieve they instead fall back on the catch all word of choice. Now that anyone who is reading this is aware of this phenomenon I can promise you will catch other people doing it endlessly and hopefully try to cut down if you yourself fall fowl to this 'dumbing down' of language. I play a little game with myself where I actively force myself to not use either word, instead forcing my brain to work a fraction harder and retrieve the slightly more complex word that more precisely fits the given situation.

I have a (surely un-original) theory that a combination of Covid (less face to face social speaking interactions) and ever increasing social media use has drastically impacted our collective vocabularies. Resulting in those two forbidden words starting with S+T words taking hold of our minds.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#176 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 05:52:37 pm
Superfluous words at the start of sentences has pissed me off for what feels like four lifetimes.  The one you mention is bad but I think 'Ok so....'  or just 'So' are worse.

andy popp

• forum hero
#177 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 06:28:32 pm
I've been doing even more editing than normal recently and there are two words that I've now come to detest. First. "indeed" - it is almost always pure padding. Second, "upon" - total affectation, there are almost no circumstances in which upon (rather than plain old "on") is actually required. I recognize that I'm as guilty of these offences as anyone.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#178 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 06:57:37 pm
Andy, the only time I can think when I’d use upon would be when describing a situation like ‘I happened upon Fiend sweating profusely beneath the Moon Board’. Would you edit me?

Will, I avoid listening to him speak wherever possible, but I think the PM and other MPs are fans of the more authoritative ‘now look’!

andy popp

• forum hero
#179 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 07:09:25 pm
Andy, the only time I can think when I’d use upon would be when describing a situation like ‘I happened upon Fiend sweating profusely beneath the Moon Board’. Would you edit me?

No, I'd probably let that one stand, not least for its slightly comedic effect. "On" would work fine here, but upon is justified.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#180 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 07:46:00 pm
Even more comedic if you replace ‘happened’ with ‘came’!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#181 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 07:50:16 pm
In a similar vein, people are forever using "yourself" where "you" would do, normally to try and sound more formal. Get in the sea!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#182 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 08:02:41 pm
I've been doing even more editing than normal recently and there are two words that I've now come to detest. First. "indeed" - it is almost always pure padding.

I recently had to argue with a fantastically stupid person on UKC and I definitely did this.  :guilty:

Bradders

• forum hero
#183 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 08:15:30 pm
Has there ever been a better time to be the phrase "Well look"? For months, maybe even years now, everybody who wants to make any point about literally anything always precedes their dialogue with "Well look". It's as common as breathing and it's starting to get on my tits!

There's a chap I've worked with a lot in the past who prefaces virtually everything he says with "look". Drove me mad! Very glad to not have to work with him for a while at least.

andy popp

• forum hero
#184 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 08:41:52 pm
Even more comedic if you replace ‘happened’ with ‘came’!

Quite. Interestingly, "came upon" works exactly the same as "happened upon," whereas "came on," ummm, doesn't. Upon is clearly right in this instance.

NaoB

• player
#185 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 09:51:39 pm
I am now going to ruin everyone by pointing out the extreme over use of two words:

Stuff(s)

Thing(s)

... hopefully try to cut down if you yourself fall fowl to this 'dumbing down' of language.

You can stuff things like chickens, but that's just my poultry contribution to the thread.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#186 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 09:53:15 pm
When did the ubiquitous "like" arrive? Kids can't complete a sentence with al least 2 unnecessary likes slipped it. Grates me when they do it, grates even more when I do.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#187 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 09:54:15 pm
In a similar vein, people are forever using "yourself" where "you" would do, normally to try and sound more formal. Get in the sea!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#188 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 10:00:30 pm
When did the ubiquitous "like" arrive? Kids can't complete a sentence with al least 2 unnecessary likes slipped it. Grates me when they do it, grates even more when I do.

It is horribly hard to speak without using hesitation devices. They do change over time. Live with it.

Ged

• junky
#189 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 10:34:57 pm
Superfluous words at the start of sentences has pissed me off for what feels like four lifetimes.  The one you mention is bad but I think 'Ok so....'  or just 'So' are worse.

I think "look..." is way worse. I was convinced for a while that some kind of public speaking coach was making a fortune telling male politicians to start every sentence that way as it makes them sound commanding or some such shit. They all do it. At least "so..." seems to be more of an attempt to sound friendlier or less intimidating. Very popular with academics being interviewed on radio 4.

B0405413

• addict
#190 Re: Weird Words...
July 04, 2022, 11:12:06 pm
As much as I generally hate linguistic prescriptivism, the phrase 'going forward' instead of 'from now on' does my nut in. As does the overuse/misuse of the word 'iconic'.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#191 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 12:00:47 am

It is horribly hard to speak without using hesitation devices. They do change over time. Live with it.

In the pre "like" era everyone seemed to cope?

battery

• obsessive maniac
#192 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 06:33:13 am
Oh this is a fun thread - I am now going to ruin everyone by pointing out the extreme over use of two words:

Stuff(s)

Thing(s)

Over the last year or so be it listening to a podcast, TV/radio reports or in person conversation it seems a rare occurrence for someone to string together a single coherent sentence without improperly or inaccurate use of the word stuff and/or thing. Rather than using the more exact and specific term they should challenge their brain to retrieve they instead fall back on the catch all word of choice. Now that anyone who is reading this is aware of this phenomenon I can promise you will catch other people doing it endlessly and hopefully try to cut down if you yourself fall fowl to this 'dumbing down' of language. I play a little game with myself where I actively force myself to not use either word, instead forcing my brain to work a fraction harder and retrieve the slightly more complex word that more precisely fits the given situation.

I have a (surely un-original) theory that a combination of Covid (less face to face social speaking interactions) and ever increasing social media use has drastically impacted our collective vocabularies. Resulting in those two forbidden words starting with S+T words taking hold of our minds.

I have come to rely on these words in the last few months to compensate for my perimenapausal brain having a meltdown mid-sentance - interestingly and rather usefully for me, I'm amazed how many times people around me know what I'm talking about! Bloody infuriating though, especially when doing training/or public speaking.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#193 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 09:55:54 am
True. As a listener I'd much rather hear 'stuff' and 'things' than listen to a speaker pause and fumble for the right word when we both already know what they are referring to anyway.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#194 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 10:05:15 am

In the pre "like" era everyone seemed to cope?
In the, er.., pre-like, um... era everyone, um..., seemed to, er.., cope.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#195 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 10:49:58 am
Maybe my memory has faded, but I don't recall that being as prevalent.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#196 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 11:18:41 am
Working with a lot of US folk and enjoying the regular punctuation of sentences with 'awesome'. I have a deadpan colleague who says it in a couldn't be more bored tone. Their heads would likely explode if they visited the Grand Canyon.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#197 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 11:39:02 am
If we're going American, 'super' gets me.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#198 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 11:56:28 am
Agree at the super suffix to anything. It's not supercool.

Kind of back on subject, I like supercilium though, Latin for eyebrows. So if someone is giving you a supercilious look you are getting the eyebrows.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#199 Re: Weird Words...
July 05, 2022, 12:29:50 pm
I usually delight in the varied and complexity of people's verbal ticks but the politician's "let me be clear" before spewing out some lying waffle really annoys the piss out of me. Every time you say that Emily Maitlis should be allowed to hit you with a wooden spoon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal