UKBouldering.com

Badger Arete (Read 5218 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Badger Arete
December 24, 2008, 04:51:55 pm
Hello,
Went to Kentmere today for the first time, and was having a play on Badger arete which looked like a great line. Its right at the top end of what I can(not) do and might go back and have another crack on boxing day.. was wondering if there was any beta? Could do the top bit via a large LH hold to the left, feet up high & crank up for a break. But getting there from a SDS looked really tough. The other way seemed to be work up crimps on the RH face and just to the left of the arete - pull hard and up to break - though my fingers were getting knackered for that approach by the end,
Cheers,
T

ps - hello to Liam who was working it too if he goes on here..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Badger Arete
December 24, 2008, 06:04:17 pm
Your second suggestion (crimps) is what I did.
It's a really cool set of moves, but certainly not the 7a+ RockFax thinks it is.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#2 Re: Badger Arete
December 24, 2008, 06:32:55 pm
Yeah the sitter felt about V5ish - starting just right of the arete and then a couple of slappy moves and big pulls on edges on the right and a decent sidepull for the left as you worked the feet up. I recall the guidebook saying a big hold on the left is not in? Which if it is the one I am thinking, kind of detracts from the obvious line  :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Badger Arete
December 24, 2008, 07:39:14 pm
Your second suggestion (crimps) is what I did.
It's a really cool set of moves, but certainly not the 7a+ RockFax thinks it is.
Cheers GCW, the lakesbloc topo gives it 6c+ - and seeing as the hardest thing I've climbed is 7a, my failure today would seem to indicate about the right grade! The last crimp/step up move felt pretty powerful...
T

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Badger Arete
December 24, 2008, 07:58:36 pm
I'm sure there's a vid online somewhere.  I'll have a look.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Badger Arete
December 24, 2008, 08:24:15 pm
Yeah, first thing here:

I seem to remember we started on holds below the break, then into the break.  Is that a crouch start, Greg?  :lol:

Dug out a couple of pics of when Coolboy and I went:

teghead123

• regular
#6 Re: Badger Arete
December 25, 2008, 09:07:18 am
yep liam does go on here ;D! looks alot easier on the video lol, some usefull beta so may head down on boxing day tomtom if your around. Although...thorn crag looks awesome?!

happy christmas all, liam

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Badger Arete
December 27, 2008, 04:31:06 pm
Cheers GCW for the Beta... muchos deserved waddage...
Liam, didnt make it up on boxing day - but went up this pm.. got all the moves, just not all together! next time eh! really nice moves though - great problem,
Cheers, T

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#8 Re: Badger Arete
April 19, 2021, 11:05:44 pm
Managed to bag a couple of hours this afternoon. Went to Kentmere and did a circuit of easy stuff, then settled down to see if I could do Badger Arete.

I started trying it like this:    but being a bit taller I found the heel very bunched. Instead I found a way of toe-hooking the bottom left start hold that the guy in the video above missed (the first crux for me was just pulling on from the sidepull and slopey/crozzley pocket, and slapping right had to where he started.

When I got the left hand pinch/crimp I then stepped through with my right onto the good shoogly hold, and toe-hooked the low left sidepull. This allows a devious roll through to the high crimp/pinch on the arete, before stretching up left to the good hold.

I feel I found a cunning, devious sequence and will hear no suggestions that I just lanked it.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#9 Re: Badger Arete
April 19, 2021, 11:14:27 pm
2 other things - 1.Tom Tom, I had kind of always assumed you'd been a 7Cish climber since forever. Funny reading about you pulling hard on this.

2. Wish I'd taken a video of my lanky  arse getting dragging up this for amusement / comparison purposes.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Badger Arete
April 20, 2021, 09:26:27 pm
Old old old, failed attempt.

EDIT: Bonus wad if you can identify the T shirt...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:49:04 pm by GCW »

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#11 Re: Badger Arete
April 21, 2021, 02:32:11 pm
Old old old, failed attempt.

EDIT: Bonus wad if you can identify the T shirt...

Or the hoody! 😂
Old skoool  :punk:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal