UKBouldering.com

Serious injury - recovery time (Read 29631 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 12:00:01 pm
Fucking hell Will, you've had to break your femur to get into net +ve Karma :lol:

And climb Archangel. Lucky he did that first!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#26 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 10:51:14 pm
I've just remembered what happened to me when I had a cast on my leg. I got far more :shag: action than ever before! I don't know why, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, but it's true! Get in!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#27 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:09:57 pm
What?! Thats outrageous!

As shocking as this may sound I would happily turn down a shag at the moment due to the amount of pain I think it would cause me.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#28 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:33:39 pm
Giving or receiving?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#29 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:42:52 pm
As shocking as this may sound I would happily turn down a shag at the moment due to the amount of pain I think it would cause me.

Beastialiser, sick fuck

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#30 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:43:55 pm

Grab yourself a 'script for Tramadol or Endone and you'll soon forget about the pain.  :shag: in no time!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#31 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:51:21 pm
I think it might be empowering to the girl, and they seem to like that! Get it done  :shag:

chriss

• stalker
#32 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 25, 2008, 10:11:13 pm
I broke my femur just above the knee in a car crash 8 years ago, so I feel your pain brother... On the recovery front I got in the swimming pool & kept up the fingerboard sessions. I kept it fairly easy for a year or so. I also have a pin left in it, only problem is a bit of an ache in the cold & damp. 8 years on now and I'm fully fit, road running on it & taking biggish falls on to it. Good luck getting better & keep your chin up as it can get depressing watching your mates out crushing.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#33 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 01, 2009, 03:31:59 pm
Bad luck Will, I wish you all the best for a swift recovery.

I broke my femur in 2 places back in 2001 in a car crash, I was back at work 6 months later but it took me a few years to gain confidence in the fact it had healed properly. I had several titanium pins in my leg but had them removed after about 19 months. The doctors had told me I would have them in for life so was surprised when I was given the option of having them took out. It felt considerably better after they were out as they caused quite a bit of discomfort. It is no where near as good as it was but all things considered it works very well. I only really struggle if my leg is bent as far as it goes as I cant get much power into it. I would advise sticking with your physiotherapy though as I sacked it off and got pissed instead. It didn't help!

Chin up though mate, you'll be right again before you know it  ;D

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#34 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 07, 2009, 04:34:34 pm
Thought I'd share my x-rays. Gnarly dude!

Also, I can get about on one crutch now for short periods which means I can carry stuff. Woop!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 07, 2009, 04:49:03 pm
Ouch!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 07, 2009, 04:59:11 pm
Thats nothing! I found a video of some surgeons performing the same surgery they used on me on a cadaver.
That was ouch.

http://www.or-live.com/Gamma3/1458/
It's not too bad. Skip the boring bit at the start to get to the meaty bit.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#37 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 07, 2009, 05:48:17 pm
Woah, that's some serious fucking metal you got in there, I was thinking it might just be the pins and plate thing around the outside. Airport metal detectors are going to be fun for ever more.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#38 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 07, 2009, 05:58:26 pm
I'm going to take my own lube and gloves for them to use when they do the cavity searches.

As I said to the doc in Sheff who threatened to stick his finger up my arse during examination

"Enjoy yourself."

He wasn't impressed.

If anyone was considering a stay in the hospital and needs putting off then I did a self indulgent write up on the blog. Link in the sig.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#39 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 07, 2009, 06:12:50 pm
I'm going to take my own lube and gloves for them to use when they do the cavity searches.

No point taking the lube, it'll be confiscated  :P

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#40 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 19, 2009, 10:55:23 pm
Just in case anyone's interested I had my first appointment with a consultant today since the accident and the op. Took some fresh x-rays and the doc says it's healing fast. Should be off the crutches in a month and he hazarded an estimate at being able to run on it by April/May.
Much better news than I'd been hoping for.
 :beer2:   :dance1:

Paul B

• forum hero
#41 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
January 19, 2009, 11:05:25 pm
hey will! I completely missed this thread, sorry to hear about your injury it looks/sounds incredibly painful. I smashed up my leg about 2 years ago now (tib, fib....the thread is still there somewhere as well as some gorey pics). Sorry to say this but on the running front you may get a shock, yes you'll be able to run but trust me you won't want to for a while, it hurts like f*ck and might do for a while, especially with platage, this applies even more so when cold. Maybe you'll have more luck.
I took full advantage of my injuries and spent the whole period I had my frame on in the gym. You get funny looks rolling dumbbells across the mats to a bench and then chasing them, but what the hell! Like fiend says being proactive with any exercises you have from a physio and pushing yourself all the time seems to help cut down the amount of off time. Good luck to you!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#42 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
March 20, 2009, 12:28:44 am
So it was my first physio session today with the NHS. I was very impressed, I thought they would give me a cursory glance and little more but I received sage advice and weekly appointments of one on one physio  :)

So here's the news.

I don't need crutches anymore! I still walk with a limp so the idea is to ween myself off them but the lovely physio lady says that when walking about the house I should ditch them. I am ecstatic and seeing as I have finished all my work for the term a day early I am going out to enjoy some beautiful weather at Caley with some light bouldering.

Come on down.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#43 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
March 20, 2009, 09:35:42 am
Glad you're on the road to recovery, lovely.  :hug:  Be careful though!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#44 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
March 20, 2009, 09:42:51 am
Nice one Will. And nice to hear positives about the NHS when all you get from the media is how shit it is. The treatment my family and I have received has never been anything but first class.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#45 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
March 20, 2009, 09:58:07 am
Hear hear! I think people forget that unlike a great many other countries in the UK you can walk in off the street, get patched up in A & E and sent on your way within a few hours and not have to pay a penny. The nurses are nothing short of saints too.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#46 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
April 30, 2018, 07:29:57 pm
So, just over a month ago I took a 25m groundfall :o while lowering off a route in Spain due to an incomprehensible not-retying-the-safety-knot error (entirely my fault).

Somehow I lived but the litany of injuries is;

-Left femur in three pieces (long since bolted back together in a similar manner to Will’s above)

-Unstable pelvis fracture; sacrum principally but I had a pubic bone dislocation as a result (had a operation to pin this back together as well- I would not wish this injury on anyone)

-Various rib, sternum & vertebrae breakages, all of which stayed in place but I have to wear a hellishly uncomfortable back brace to keep it all stable for another two weeks

- Sprained left thumb which has been, somewhat understandably, overlooked but I’m now realising might be quite bad

I’m doing pretty well considering- at home now, in discomfort rather than pain (only on paracetamol!) getting a bit better/ fitter/ stronger every day and crutching about like a good ‘un despite still being pretty much disabled. Still another month to go before I can bear weight on my bad leg and I can’t properly start physio (hydrotherapy is lined up apparently- I think that means medicinal pot ;)) until this horrible brace is out of the way either so I’m currently in a bit of a waiting game.

Any advice/ insight/ sympathy on these injuries or the experience of getting over such an experience (“polytrauma”!) would be much appreciated. I’m looking more at walking & driving at the moment than climbing but that’s obviously the big aim. It’s very easy to go up and down mentally in this situation and I’m finding online support is very helpful in this. 

Cheers! :thumbsup:

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#47 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
April 30, 2018, 08:09:45 pm
Mike, ouch! I heard about this from both bonehillbilly and alkis who I saw on the slate on Saturday.

No specific words of wisdom apart from when I had my motorbike accident 15 years ago. My consultant speculated on several occasions that I could need my leg amputated and that clombing is something I should consider giving up due to the said lag injuries and the trauma to both shoulders.

Subsequently I embraced physio for all I was worth and whilst maintaining a handle on what my body was telling me I was focussed on the end game of getting back to climbing. It took a while but have climbed better than I did before.

I undertaker that your injuries are more complex than mine but whatever you do keep positive and notice the small improvements as these are tick off points on your way to fitness.

I am sure others on this forum have similar stories of positivity (mike Tyson?)

Wishing you well

erm, sam

• forum hero
#48 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
April 30, 2018, 08:26:15 pm
No handy tips, but lots of good wishes. It does sound grim, but there are lots of reasons to be positive. Like, being alive and shit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#49 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
April 30, 2018, 09:00:59 pm
Blimey Cheque - that sounds grim... heal fast fella...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal