UKBouldering.com

Serious injury - recovery time (Read 29632 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 04:08:52 pm
Went and broke my femur on Wednesday. Any estimates on recovery time? Docs say about a year for full recovery. Can you still take lobs with a pin in your leg?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 04:26:29 pm
Shit dog - biggest bone in the body? What happened?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 04:43:59 pm
Was that you the got MRed from Froggat? Bad luck mate. No idea about recovery time from such an injury, but wish you all the best with recovery.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#3 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 04:51:05 pm
Gutted! Weren't you in Outside on Wed?

Don't know anyone who's broken a femur, but my metatarsal took about 3 months before I could consider climbing again. Considering the femur is about 20 times bigger, expect it to take much, much longer! My mate who broke his hipbone 5-6 months ago is still suffering with it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 04:55:25 pm
Went and broke my femur on Wednesday. Any estimates on recovery time? Docs say about a year for full recovery. Can you still take lobs with a pin in your leg?
Don't know really but in my experience with broken bones (myself and others), I've found it to be about 3 months until you can use it, 6 months until you can use it fairly normally. This is without pins BTW. Femur is obviously major but equally it has good blood flow (which might have been a reason if they whisked you away sharpish) which helps.

Doctors almost always underestimate how keen climbers are to get back on with it, I've heard enough reports (some first hand) of people who were told they'd never climb again and 6 months later they are doing some comfortably.

Physio will be crucial especially if there's any soft-tissue damage. You'll lose a lot from not walking for a while and need to regain that. Effort in - gains out, be determined but careful, a lot of the later healing is up to you.

As for lobs, bouldering will be a no-no for quite a while, as will gear-ripping groundfalls... Falling into space onto steep stuff e.g. sport or indoor walls should be fine IF you're careful. But obviously it's crucial to get back into things gradually.

This is all from experience / friend's experiences, but they've been consistent and a lot of it is common sense. Bones are just engineering really.

For more experience ask Paul B, also Rosie A on UKC, her new bloke pulverised his leg in a bike crash and is full of metal, oh and also Jus off UKC, his wife had a friend who broke his femur as well...

Edit: Drew, I broke a heel badly (3 months to recover) and a meta-tarsal not so badly (4-5 months to recover). The only reason the doctors could give for the latter is much worse blood flow to that area of the foot - I think that's a factor as much as size.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 05:50:06 pm
holy shit,
get well soon.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 06:14:17 pm
Sorry to hear that Will, wishing you a speedy recovery..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#7 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 20, 2008, 08:01:54 pm
PM with your phone number if you fancy a chat / bit of advice Will. If you are sheff based o know the best rehab sports masseurs  / physios in the city ( and the best orthopaedic surgeons!!)

andy popp

• forum hero
#8 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 06:54:01 am
Shit Will, really sorry to hear that. Despite having broken lots of bones I've no real advice, just listen to the doctors and your body I guess.

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 08:41:51 am
Give us a bell if you're in Widnes over Xmas Will.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 11:43:04 am
Nick in Oz bust his femur in the alps a while back. But he hasn't posted on here in a while (can't even remember what he posts as anymore). Might pick up a pm though.

cofe

• forum hero
#11 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 12:49:04 pm
'Control Freak'? that one?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 02:43:45 pm
 :thumbsdown: Ouch, thats got to hurt, hope your not in too much pain at present.

My experience of breaks

* Fractured calcanium in front : recovery was around four or five weeks on crutches, then very very careful about falling on that foot/leg when bouldering.  Back to full "strength" in three months.

* Fractured scapula at Stanage : just the very bottom and no plates were needed to help it knit together so was quite lucky.  Was gutted as I was supposed to be going to Lundy two months later, fortunately I'd healed and was perfectly fine by that time. 

* Chipped an intermeidate phalange at the same time as Scapula : was fine four weekslater, full range of movement in the finger, no loss of function/what little strength I had (I didn't realise till three days later when the swelling hadn't gone down as I'd cut the finger at the same time).

So no direct experience (and would like to keep it that way!).

Lots of calcium, so lots of milk and cheese (unless of course your lactose intollerant, in which case get someone to go to a health shop for you).  Listen to and do what the physios tell you, they don't tell you exercises for their benefit!!!

Look forward to an increase in your postings over the coming weeks  :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#13 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 02:44:32 pm
Will. Really sorry to hear about your injury.  Keep your chin up and get well.

cofe

• forum hero
#14 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 03:03:10 pm

get well soon btw will. as FD says, keep your chin up.

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 03:31:17 pm
I think you should hit the campus board with a top-rope... Make sure you get  :pissed:  and eat loads over christmas to aid recovery...   

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#16 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 03:41:09 pm
Cheers for the get wells  :)

That certainly was me in Outside, Drew. Sorry didn't know it was you. Should have come and said hello!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 06:23:01 pm

That'll be the boy.

Will you weren'y trying to climb anything in those Aces I gave you were you? :0)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 08:40:44 pm
First, hope it all goes well.
I'd suggest at least a year to return to fairly normal function.  Depending on what fracture configuration you have.  having said that, you can get longstanding pain in that leg.

There, now if it takes that long you won't be disappointed, but if you're back quicker you'll have proved me wrong.  Win-win.   :beer2:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#19 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 09:24:13 pm
Wow, commiserations mate. I think recovery time can be very individual. I broke the top of the radius and will always have the pins, but was surprised to make a full recovery in a couple of months so you never know exactly. BTW don't believe dead-hangs are contra-indicated for pinned fractures, nor single malt whisky,so it's not all bad news...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#20 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 21, 2008, 11:21:00 pm
Owch. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Will.
Maybe this is the time to do some serious weight training (upper body only for now) and establish a good base for getting proper strong? Cuboard used his time with a broken ankle to good effect last year and packed on some right muscle.
I have no idea about recovery time  :shrug:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#21 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 12:14:26 am
Can anyone who's just completed their second viewing of The Wire 1 to 5 led it to Will... he'll appreciate the effort I'm sure.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 10:40:04 am
Bad luck Will. Get well soon and as lagers says, get working on upper body beastliness!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#23 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:14:50 am
Fucking hell Will, you've had to break your femur to get into net +ve Karma :lol:

Get well soon.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#24 Re: Serious injury - recovery time
December 22, 2008, 11:28:11 am
Sorry to hear Will! Try not to rush back too soon and just hit those weights and pullups hard  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal