UKBouldering.com

Another new bouldering venue for Yorkshire - Norwood edge (Read 5430 times)

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com

http://yorkshiregrit.com/norwood.html

I haven't asked permission to put this news on here but as it is now on yorkshiregrit.com I'm sure the developers won't mind.

It appears there were more boulders in Stainburn Forest. Robin Warden and friends have found and developed some pleasent problems very near Hunter's Stones in Stainburn Forest. The venue is no caley or almscliff (no surprise there) but offers some quality climbing with stunnings vistas. Again, like Hunter's, recent tree felling has made development possible.

It is approximately 2 minutes from the main road and 10 minutes walk from Hunter's. The two areas combine nicely to give lots of climbing. Norwood's problems lie in the easier to mid grades. The most notable line is Larchbow, a classic rising ramp but there are other note worthy problems there, like a lowball roof called Falcon - a Matt Willcox classic.

I was lucky enough to be shown round by 2 of the developers, Ross Williams and Amanda Phillips. I had a great time and it is always fun to climb on new problems. I was fortunate to spot probably the hardest line is through the blank wall next to Larchbow, which uses possibly the most circular crimp I have ever seen anywhere....πr2 (pie r squared) is around 7c (however it was very damp at the time of the ascent).

I'm sure there will be some critics to the quality but remember it is amazing that this many new problems are being found in one of the most climbed areas in the country, which offers an alternative to the established hotspots.

Good work and congrats to all involved!!!  :great:

All details on www.yorkshiregrit.com

andy_e

• forum hero
There is indeed a nice circuit here. Andy "Crow" on Falcon:

surfchimpster

• regular
This is a quality little area and although there aint many V Hard probs there are quite a few in the mid grades, which most of are overhanging to some degree.
Even the warm ups feel quite burly.

It's also close t' road and close to hunter stones ...

well done for spotting Robin!

You've got to love those lumber jacks... ( for there tree felling abilities  )

OH.... I'm I Lubber jack and i'm ok i...... :whistle:

andy_e

• forum hero
Get back to work Matt or I'll grill you for more secret venue info.

surfchimpster

• regular
Just uploaded some new photo's of the area on yorkshire grit , thought i may as well post a few on here to generate some more interest.

Be nice to get some feed back from other peeps

view my flicker pics here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surfchimpster/

peace out...chimp

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Saturation is nice on this one, presumably due to the setting sun ;)

You might find some of the tools Bubba found to facilitate posting your flickr pics (mainly its an easy way of sorting out back-linking the picture to flickr which is one of the T&C of using their site, semantic and pednatic).

andy_e

• forum hero

Saturation is nice on this one, presumably due to the setting sun ;)

I think he means feedback about the problems  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I think he means feedback about the problems  ;)

I don't think sarcasm always translates well over the internet, but smiley's sometimes help  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal