December 19, 2008, 03:08:54 pm

Tunes

The Recession - Young Jeezy, Black Summer - The Plight, 2 - Bossk
Telly
The Wire: everything else is complete shit in comparison
Film
Iron Man, Juno, Dosage V
Books
not read anything 'new' I don't think so 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, A Scanner Darkly and Ubik, Philip K Dick.
Other
Dave Graham's Lecture, gypsyism, wizardry and kneepads.  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 08:45:39 am
Tunes

Age of the Understatement - Last Shadow Puppets

Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow

Roisin Murphy - Overpowered

The Enemy - We'll live and die... (I think it was released in 2007, but only really listened to it this year)

All the Shins stuff - coming to terms with how really good they are.

Telly

Family Guy - especially when it gets really close to the bone

Heroes - series 3 is getting very interesting

Lead Balloon - some great characters

Film

Dark Knight (predicatably)

In Bruges - class

Iron Man - Low Maintenance, but good fun.

Books
Blood River - Tim Butcher quite sad

Breath - Tim Winton coming of age / surfing - really well written.

I've read loads ths year, but this is the only thing that stands out.

Late night Radio 1. Sooo much better than daytime drivel.

Other

Ashamed to admit I enjoyed Eurobeat at the theatre a lot more than I expected to (got free tickets)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 09:33:29 am
Tunes: Drum'n'bass albums by Bachelors Of Science, Break, C4C, Dom&Roland, plus comps from DNAudio, Tech Itch, etc.

Telly: No.

Film: The Dark Knight, No Country For Old Men.

Books: None stand out this year.

Other: Dave Graham lecture also.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 10:07:41 am
Forgot DG lecture, good stuff.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 12:29:40 pm

Tunes Ida Maria

Telly Nowt, apart from discovering premier league pirate channels on the interweb  :)

Film All a bit average this year... Dark Knight was OK, Burn after Reading made me smirk quite alot... though 'Love Guru' became the first film I walked out of in c.20 years...

Books The Devil in Amber (Mark Gatiss) Purile Humour. Ace  ;D

Other Being in NYC 2 days after the elections.. amazing buzz about the place...

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 05:37:40 pm
Tunes

Tricky, I've not kept up with the album-releasing world this year! I can't think of any off the top of my head.

how about another category?

Best Discovery of the Year

for telling others what you found this year that are potentially quite old...

For me that list is extensive but once again my poor memory hampers me. At the top of the list, Nathan Barley, IT Crowd, Black Books, Easy Star All Stars- Dub Side of the Moon, Speedy J, more recent Orb stuff...

Ferrito

• regular
  • newsell
#7 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 08:03:13 pm
Tunes The new Sigur ros one - With a buzz in summat, we hum, or whatever it is. Nothing else really. Oh, and the Snow Patrol album. Not many good other releases though really.

Telly Wallander - just been on the BBC, and Spooks. Both wiped the floor with most other things I've seen...

Film Onsight blew my mind away. Bond was pretty good as well too.

Books Thin White Line by Andy Cave.

Other Saw Turisas live in Cardiff - they were awesome!

How about...

Greatest Dissapointment Kings Of Leon. One decent track. Other than that, a whiny pile of cack. And dragonforce live. Too much posing, and japanese electro-shite

Eddies

• forum hero
#8 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 22, 2008, 09:30:51 pm
Tunes:
The Streets- Everything Is Borrowed
Deathproof Soundtrack

Telly:
Top Gear
The Olympics (Especially the Gymnastics)
Bear Grylls (For shits and giggles!!)

Film:
Dosage V
The Dark Knight
Hellboy II (all very predictable I know)

Books:
Nothing to write home about. Just ordered Jerry’s book tho  :bounce:

Other:
2 Warehouse Project DnB Events

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 07:58:55 am
Tunes Bon Iver, 'For Emma, Forever Ago,' by a country mile. Honourable mentions; Bonnie "Prince" Billy, 'Is it the Sea'; British Sea Power, 'Do You Like Rock Music'; Neil Young, 'Live at Canterbury House'; Foals, 'Antidotes.'

Gigs

Bon Iver, Manchester; Green Man Festival, of which expected highlight was Super Furries and unexpected Laura Marling, James Yorkston and King Creosote.

Telly

Don't really do telly. Corrie's still pretty good.

Film

Only get to go when I take the children, much better than I thought it would be award goes to 'The Duchess'; genuinely quite moving.

Books

Guess these should really have been published in 2008. I think the only one that qualifies is a shockingly bad academic book I've just savaged in a review for a journal and I can't recommend that.

Galleries/Museums

New York, Easter; Planetarium at the Natural History Museum (and rest of the museum); immigration museum at Ellis Island, very old school museum (things in cabinets, pictures on the wall etc.) but very moving.

France; Musee d'Orsay, fuck yeah! Jean Tinguely's Cyclops, Milly-la-Foret

Merseyside: Speke Hall, I want to live there; Klimt at Tate Liverpool, Art in the Age of Steam, Walker - in fact just discovering the permanent collection at the Walker, esp. the Rembrandt self-portrait.

andy popp

• forum hero
#10 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 08:48:18 am
Oh and RIP Davy Graham, guitar maverick and genius.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 09:21:29 am
And Oliver Postgate and Geoffrey Perkins.

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 09:26:17 am
i'd go for bon iver as best tunes for sure.

films: enjoyed burn after reading and dark knight. bond deserves an honourable mention too.

books: enjoyed engleby by sebastian faulks, also just finishing winter in madrid by c.j. sansom which is rather good.

fatkid2000

• junky
#13 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 09:45:22 am
i'd go for bon iver as best tunes for sure.

films: enjoyed burn after reading and dark knight. bond deserves an honourable mention too.

books: enjoyed engleby by sebastian faulks, also just finishing winter in madrid by c.j. sansom which is rather good.

Agree - with these
Also just bough the MGMT album which is a rather happy album.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#14 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 10:38:55 am
Tunes

Luciano - Fabric 41 (You may find him too 'housey' but I think he's moving in the right direction with the right idea to differentiate himself from a largely homogenous mass)

Âme - Fabric 42 (OK so another Fabric mix but Âme have to be here for similar reasons documented above.)

Catz 'n Dogz - Stars of Zoo (Ridiculous name for a production outfit but shit are there some well produced tracks here!)

Individual track highlights: MD3 - Pressure Cooker (DJ Sneak remix)
                                     SIS - Trompeta
                                     Robert Babicz - Dark Flower (Joris Voorn remix)

Gigs

Richie Hawtin at Warehouse Project (Thankyou Rich. A mindblowing night with some mindblowing comrades)

Loco Dice at Circus (Was supposed to be b2b with Luciano but had to play on his own. Sehr gut)

Matthias Tanzmann and Ewan Pearson at Mumu (Awesome with an incredible after party in my new favourtie bar/restaurant)

Pan Pot at Coco de Mer (The best duo of '08 for me. Pushing the envelope)

Your Vegas at Korks (The only non-techno gig to be raved about. A homecoming gig in Otley from my best friend's band who are making it big in the US. Borderline tearful.)

Telly

Far from a lover of TV, I only own one for watching anything Chris Morris and Louis Theroux do. To which extent all of Theroux's documentaries get my vote.

Film

Burn after reading (Brad Pitt was brilliant in his role)

Also started to tick some of the "films I'm embarrased not to have seen" off my list. I'd tell you some of them but they're just too embarrasing not to have been seen)

Books

Le Corbusier Le Grand (Possibly the only book you will need to consult a structural engineer about when placing it on your coffee table. A book of gargantuan proportions; contains numerous drawings, sketches, letters, paintings by the most influential of men)

LA Climbs (My two favourite interests elope within one book. Made me realise that it is still possible to climb whilst working in a manic profession. At least I hope I've got this right)

The Story of the Eye - Georges Bataille (From 1928 so hardly nu skool. Surrealist vintage hardcore erotica using terms I thought were modern day conceptions. The whole framework reads to me like my average dream. Like Sade on steroids.

Architecture

The Manchester Civil Justice Centre by Denton Corker Marshall (Reminscent of a physical EQ display. Laden with aesthetically pleasing details everywhere)

The Unity Building, Liverpool by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris (It was finished last year but this deserves recognition. Listening to my favourite records walking past and around it for many days of the year. It looked to be the visual embodiment of the techno.

Galleries and Museums

The Bluecoat, Liverpool (I've heard some diss but they need to realise that nostalgia won't prevent structural decay. A building with an illustrious history, I find it exciting and approachable. At least there are now many more spaces which can be hired by local artisans. A credible restoration.

Tate Liverpool - The Twentieth Century: How it looked and felt (The curators have done extremely well to present such a volume of works in their respective contexts in such a relatively small space)

Other

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of food? I'd like the Egg Cafe and the Green Fish cafe to receive some sort of long time acheivement acknowledgement. Both vegetarian and both my hermitic hideaways.

I've lived as something of a flâneur this year (except without the requisite wealth of one) and been overwhelmed  by life in a 'City of Culture'. I'd urge you all to leave your job for a few weeks and visit Liverpool! So much to see.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:45:11 am by Monolith »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 10:52:03 am

Also just bough the MGMT album which is a rather happy album.

Best tune of the year - MGMT Kids (Soulwax remix)

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#16 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 23, 2008, 10:55:04 am
Film: Iron Man - superb nonsense. Wasn't No Country 2007? Big tick for that otherwise.
TV: Charlie Brooker!
Books: catching up on old stuff, mostly C19...
Music: Portishead - worth the wait.
Gigs: I've finally had a whole year with no gigs (unless Boosh counts - that was good).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#17 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 24, 2008, 11:29:10 am
Tunes
Beck - Modern Guilt
A Day Like This by Elbow
DJ Hazard - Machete
Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild
Duffy's album

Telly
The Wire, The IT Crowd, Touch Me I'm Karen Taylor, John Stewart's Daily Show throughout the US Election., C4 News.

Film
Hmmm can't think of anything great.

Books
Crow Country by Mark Cocker; Clive James' Cultural Amnesia; Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson; Simon Armitage's translation of Sir Gawain.

Other
Slayer live at the Apollo, Girls Aloud live at the MEN, Thinking Allowed. Laurie Taylor's programme on R4, The Spectator in print and online, The Observer, Russell Brand on R2, Duffy and The Streets at Wakestock.

205Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 28, 2008, 04:38:08 pm
Tunes

Seasick Steve - Started out with nothin'

Telly

Flight of the Conchords - bought the box set and it's genius. I'm still surprised by just how few people have heard of them.
Peep Show

Film

The Dark Knight

Books

Haven't read many books published this year but Andy Kirkpatrick's autobiography stands out.

Other

Mark Watson (comedian). He's on tour in 2009 and well worth looking out for.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#19 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 28, 2008, 04:45:06 pm
Bond deserves an honourable mention too.

Get the fuck!  2 hours of Bond being chased interspersed w/ blatant product placement...  Radical. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: Best of 2008 Kulchuh
December 28, 2008, 05:21:10 pm
Mumu

German for fanny (as in the kinder word for snatch).  I hope it's furnished in plush crimson velvet throughout.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal