UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4209632 times)

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10100 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 07:56:41 pm
It would be great to see Megos’ climb it too. The motivation coming from Yorkshire tea and the fact Ondra couldn’t do it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10101 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 08:10:22 pm
Steve’s diary entries when he was trying Mutation makes great reading

https://www.steve-mcclure.com/articles/155-mutation-a-bunch-of-happy-days-at-the-tor?

Doylo

• forum hero
#10102 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 09:05:25 pm
20 posts just saying Good Effort would be a nice change.Bunch of cunts.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#10103 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 09:42:18 pm
A 7B boulder problem on the route that he needed to train for until he could one arm an 8mm edge  :lol: Love it!

ducko

• forum abuser
#10104 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 10:58:19 pm
Mutant, sick effort.
UK’s got a few beasts these days, good to see.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#10105 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 12:42:54 am
Little interview up here

I just watched 30 mins of LATTICE stuff with a clickbaity title talking about THE SNORE. Not only did I not hate it, I enjoyed it. Ragnarok must be upon us.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#10106 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 05:11:44 am
Yep, great news, a great source of psyche, and enjoyable interview between Tom and Will.

Mega. Great inspiration.

:punk: :boxing: :2thumbsup:

Bradders

• forum hero
#10107 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 08:50:03 am
Lovely little snippet of info from the Facebook thread, which some may miss; apparently he's also done all the moves on Brandenburg Gate. There's a stopper move involving a pinky mono, but he was self-belaying on it last week and was very excited to do the move for the first time. Great stuff, such good psyche!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#10108 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 09:09:17 am
Lovely little snippet of info from the Facebook thread, which some may miss; apparently he's also done all the moves on Brandenburg Gate. There's a stopper move involving a pinky mono, but he was self-belaying on it last week and was very excited to do the move for the first time. Great stuff, such good psyche!

That's great, I always found the interview with J Gaskins really tantalising in Peak Rock about BG. Sounds like he nearly did it. But then again did he?! Sorry not trying to  :worms:

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#10109 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 09:50:29 am
Good little interview - awesome effort, great!... Always think Will comes across as a really nice guy, super humble too, considering what a mutant he is :strongbench:...

Nearly spat my tea all over the sofa when he metioned BG... GF looked at me like I was an idiot... Standard night in....

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10110 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 09:56:38 am

That's great, I always found the interview with J Gaskins really tantalising in Peak Rock about BG. Sounds like he nearly did it. But then again did he?! Sorry not trying to  :worms:

Paul Reeve saw Gaskins get really high on redpoint nearly up into Make It Funky which means he got past the low mono move which Will was struggling on which he only managed for the first time last week

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#10111 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 10:48:22 am

Paul Reeve saw Gaskins get really high on redpoint nearly up into Make It Funky which means he got past the low mono move which Will was struggling on which he only managed for the first time last week

Was this his 'few moves from easy ground' attempt he mentions in the book then? (Dont have book to hand so going on hazy memory) Good knowledge Shark

Edit: just checked book. Says he made the high point 5 or 6 times which was one move away from the 'easy ground' of Make It Funky
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:14:10 am by shurt »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10112 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 11:07:02 am

Was this his 'few moves from easy ground' attempt he mentions in the book then? (Dont have book to hand so going on hazy memory) Good knowledge Shark

The overriding memory Paul has was that Gaskins got high enough that Paul thought he was going to do it. Unfortunately Paul is unclear the exact position Gaskins fell off - after all he didn’t realise then that he was one of the few independent witnesses that saw Gaskins get close or do something significant and so would lead him to be quizzed about it years later.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#10113 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 11:25:09 am
Like the Rich Simpson thread, it's so frustrating that we'll never know exactly what either of them did or didn't do. Witnesses are so thin in the ground. Truly cutting edge or complete charlatans? Probably somewhere between the two I guess

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10114 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 11:41:42 am
Some old footage of Steve on Mutation resurrected by Posing Productions

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10115 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 12:39:26 pm
Confirmed from the horses mouth that the ascent was caught on GoPro from two angles with footage going to Paul Diffley who has been filming Will on it over the last 5 years  👏 so will be part be part of a longer film

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10116 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 12:40:00 pm

Glad my 5 minute grade appraisal of the upper wall stood the test of time.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10117 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 12:43:17 pm

Glad my 5 minute grade appraisal of the upper wall stood the test of time.

Sure did  :lol:

edshakey

• forum abuser
#10118 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 12:50:57 pm
Interrupting Mutation related chat:

Fish Eye 8c onsight for Janja in Oliana  :strongbench:

What's the hardest women's onsight?

remus

• forum hero
#10119 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 01:00:39 pm
That's mega! Loving this spree of hard outdoor stuff that's getting done now the olympics are over (Janja, Bosi's Swiss bouldering hit, Mutation, Ondra putting up 9a/+ FAs all day every day).

Not sure on the women's onsight, I guess 8c is well up there though.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#10120 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 01:07:41 pm
I always found the interview with J Gaskins really tantalising in Peak Rock about BG. Sounds like he nearly did it. But then again did he?! Sorry not trying to  :worms:
But he's not claiming an ascent of BG so that to me implies a certain honesty, when he could easily have done so especially has he had been seen getting close on redpoint

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10121 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 01:08:54 pm
Quote from: edshakey link=topic=10607.msg647580#msg647580

What's the hardest women's onsight?

Good question. Dunno. The first 8c onsight seems to have been credited to Kajsa Rosen in 2016 for the uninspiringly named T-1 Full equipe also at Oliana assuming that’s held it’s grade

andy popp

• forum hero
#10122 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 01:23:36 pm
This is probably a dumb question. Steve Mac has obviously used the Tor as a training venue over the years, running laps etc. Did he ever repeat Mutation?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10123 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 01:31:34 pm
This is probably a dumb question. Steve Mac has obviously used the Tor as a training venue over the years, running laps etc. Did he ever repeat Mutation?

Not dumb but no

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#10124 Re: significant repeats
November 03, 2021, 02:39:00 pm

The overriding memory Paul has was that Gaskins got high enough that Paul thought he was going to do it. Unfortunately Paul is unclear the exact position Gaskins fell off - after all he didn’t realise then that he was one of the few independent witnesses that saw Gaskins get close or do something significant and so would lead him to be quizzed about it years later.

I think Rich Heap was around that day too. I'll ask him.

It's one of the reasons I've felt the doubts about JG's claims are maybe less warranted. Having had witnesses to such a close effort, if JG was going to lie about anything, surely it would be quite believable to say "Yeah, amazing, went back a couple of mornings later and did it".

Great news on the Janja on-sight too.

Do we have any footage of the upper wall on Mutation?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal