UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4236605 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#9850 Re: significant repeats
September 07, 2021, 04:20:15 pm
 No; just easy routes we haven't done

Bradders

• forum hero
#9851 Re: significant repeats
September 07, 2021, 05:37:26 pm
I must confess that I do not quite understand how it is a problem for others if I would post a pic on a route I am trying. This one, e.g. I have never done and am unlikely to do https://www.instagram.com/p/BuO44UqhqdYiJ9a60qbLQCJsY5aw9qETFStWfg0/

but I am sure to try it a bit more as my better half has a project on that crag and I have kind-of run out of better things to do.

Agree. In fact one of the best things I've ever used Instagram for was to post videos of my attempts on a project over a period of several weeks. After each session I'd stick a video in my stories. It was incredible how many people got in touch to offer support and advice, heckle, or just chat. And made the whole thing a lot more fun!

36chambers

• forum hero
#9852 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 10:17:02 am

This is the issue for me, spamming instagram with the aim to get as much attention as possible is too artificial and soulless for my liking. Which is why I can't really stand a lot of big name climbers on there.

Anything with genuine psyche is always good.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:31:39 am by shark »

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#9853 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 10:22:21 am
No; just easy routes we haven't done

The international standard is 9b+. We are all shit. Except possibly a lurker.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9854 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 10:56:12 am
At some point this popular opinion needs a thread of it's own, to either justify or refute. To my mind the same logic can to a greater or lesser extent be applied to all forms of self expression (including posting opinions on forums) which stray beyond the strict bounds of personal necessity. Why is IG categorically different to any other platform du jour. Yes, perhaps it does foster a particularly vacuous and narcissistic style but that doesn't mean all content fits that label. In the modern world you have the choice to be a techno hermit or to choose your poison vis-a-vis where you 'speak', some people prefer the visual.

Haven't you answered your own question a bit there?? It might not be categorically different but it does seem to be the "worst" for that sort of drivel. Unless climbers are starting taking over TikTok or something??

Still a thread laying into social media drivel in general would be good  ;D

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#9855 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 03:04:03 pm
Apparently Michaela Kiersch has also done Dreamcatcher, as well as Super Tweek (first 8c in US?) a few days earlier.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9857 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 10:57:26 pm
At some point this popular opinion needs a thread of it's own, to either justify or refute. To my mind the same logic can to a greater or lesser extent be applied to all forms of self expression (including posting opinions on forums) which stray beyond the strict bounds of personal necessity. Why is IG categorically different to any other platform du jour. Yes, perhaps it does foster a particularly vacuous and narcissistic style but that doesn't mean all content fits that label. In the modern world you have the choice to be a techno hermit or to choose your poison vis-a-vis where you 'speak', some people prefer the visual.

Haven't you answered your own question a bit there?? It might not be categorically different but it does seem to be the "worst" for that sort of drivel. Unless climbers are starting taking over TikTok or something??

Still a thread laying into social media drivel in general would be good  ;D
What percentage of your feed is twattish depends on how any twats you follow. Follow fewer twats.  :shrug:

Kingy

• forum hero
#9858 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 11:07:42 pm
Quite. Saying instagram is the root of all evil is like saying all newspapers are bad. Perhaps the discerning newsreader would go for the broadsheets rather than the redtops?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#9859 Re: significant repeats
September 08, 2021, 11:43:34 pm
I've said this before, but I would love to see @fiendogram. I would almost consider paying a subscription for it. I would love to see Fiendish content delivered to my phone daily. Opening Facebook and having to scroll past hundreds of pictures of insufferable people I used to know announcing their new organic hand-printed teepee businesses (which will all go bust in 6 months) in order to maybe see some in action Fiendishness is increasingly becoming too high a price to pay...

Bradders

• forum hero
#9860 Re: significant repeats
September 09, 2021, 07:55:58 am
I've said this before, but I would love to see @fiendogram. I would almost consider paying a subscription for it. I would love to see Fiendish content delivered to my phone daily. Opening Facebook and having to scroll past hundreds of pictures of insufferable people I used to know announcing their new organic hand-printed teepee businesses (which will all go bust in 6 months) in order to maybe see some in action Fiendishness is increasingly becoming too high a price to pay...

Well he could always start an Only Fans.

Duma

• forum hero
#9861 Re: significant repeats
September 22, 2021, 07:58:43 pm

remus

• forum hero
#9862 Re: significant repeats
September 26, 2021, 08:26:30 am
According to the UKC logbooks James Taylor's route Prisoners of the Sun, E10 has had a second ascent. Hidden logbook though so not sure who. My money would be on Angus Kille.

Ed booth

• regular
#9863 Re: significant repeats
September 26, 2021, 08:36:36 am
Or possibly Dave Rudkin , undercover crusher

Doylo

• forum hero
#9864 Re: significant repeats
September 26, 2021, 09:38:47 am
Quite. Saying instagram is the root of all evil is like saying all newspapers are bad. Perhaps the discerning newsreader would go for the broadsheets rather than the redtops?

Harmless enough for most adults, turning a percentage into bland egoists but you don’t have to look at it. For teenagers (especially girls) it’s largely a disaster for many reasons (*off topic re climbing).

User deactivated

• stalker
#9865 Re: significant repeats
September 26, 2021, 11:03:12 am
According to the UKC logbooks James Taylor's route Prisoners of the Sun, E10 has had a second ascent. Hidden logbook though so not sure who. My money would be on Angus Kille.

Jim Pope.

remus

• forum hero
#9866 Re: significant repeats
September 26, 2021, 12:58:10 pm
Good knowledge as per, thanks Jack.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#9867 Re: significant repeats
September 26, 2021, 01:23:17 pm

Jim Pope.

The Last Samurai strikes again

remus

• forum hero
#9868 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 08:06:04 pm
Anna Hazelnutt repeated Once Upon A Time in the Southwest, Dave Birkett's (relatively) popular E9 slab testpiece at Dyer's lookout on Sunday. Not bad given she's only been trad climbing for a few weeks!

Some guy called Tom Randall also hopped on the send train.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#9869 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 08:16:52 pm
Anna Hazelnutt repeated Once Upon A Time in the Southwest, Dave Birkett's (relatively) popular E9 slab testpiece at Dyer's lookout on Sunday. Not bad given she's only been trad climbing for a few weeks!

Some guy called Tom Randall also hopped on the send train.

Damn, I was typing this one out this afternoon and got distracted.

Good news, that shoots her up near the top of the women's trad list.

remus

• forum hero
#9870 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 08:31:15 pm
Damn, I was typing this one out this afternoon and got distracted.

I was surprised no one else had mentioned it!

Good news, that shoots her up near the top of the women's trad list.

I believe she's american so she's not on THE list  ;)

danm

• junky
#9871 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 09:05:43 pm
What other useful facts about her have you got squirreled away Remus?

Duma

• forum hero
#9872 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 09:30:02 pm
Interesting how much they both fell off it, didn't realise that was ok on this slab

Bradders

• forum hero
#9873 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 09:42:55 pm
I believe she's american so she's not on THE list  ;)

Remus, out of curiosity where did E10 come from on THE LIST for Hazel Findlay's ascent of Magic Line?

I ask because Magic Line is generally accepted to be solid 5.14c in American, or 8c+ in French. Thinking about all the chat regarding Lexicon, if that's safe-but-run-out 8b+ = E11, then shouldn't safe-but-run-out 8c+ be at least E....12?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, just curious.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9874 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 09:53:17 pm
Top  :worms:  there, lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal