UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4236839 times)

HaeMeS

• menacing presence

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9201 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 04:09:01 pm
Nice - https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGpZ1CEn5ce/?utm_source=ig_embed

Tribe - The world’s hardest trad climb?
  :worms:

petejh

• forum hero
#9202 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 04:35:38 pm
Tribe - The world’s hardest trad climb?

I thought that was on Dyer's Lookout?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#9203 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 05:30:41 pm
Nah isn't it the thing up on the Ben that's "ungraded but definitely harder than Rhapsody E11" and F8c with death potential or something or other and regardless quite conveniently in the most unlikely setting / orientation / climate location to actually be repeatable by people who don't live in Fort William. Or that thing on Hoy that Caff downgraded by several French grades. Or something or other....

Doylo

• forum hero
#9204 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 05:42:40 pm
He’s done that quick considering it’s 9a+ on trad ... Could he onsight Indian Face tho?

JamieG

• forum hero
#9205 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 06:20:42 pm
Not 100% sure why you're throwing shade at Dave Mac Fiend. He always seems to have been very up front and honest about his climbing, grades, ethics and motivations. Isn't that all you can really ask for in a climber?

Or have I missed something? Have many of his routes been downgraded? Has been accused of exaggerating things? Not that I'm aware of, but maybe i'm out the loop.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#9206 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 06:26:55 pm
I was hoping Tribe would have put up more of a fight if I’m honest although Pearson does say it’s the hardest set of moves he’s done on a trad route. He must be on form! Such a world away from when he left the UK.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#9207 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 06:38:00 pm
Yeah it does seem to have gone down quite quickly... Pearson is on good form having climbed his second 9a this year but if this is supposed to be knocking on for 9a+?

In many ways I think this is very much Pearson’s style though? More on the Boulder you end of the spectrum?

I guess it doesn’t matter a great deal but I am surprised how quick it has been repeated

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#9208 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 06:51:03 pm
Not 100% sure why you're throwing shade at Dave Mac Fiend.
Because it's fun, and because he plays "the game" just as much as James did with Walk Of Life E12 or this repeating the hardest trad route in the world (which I've already bestowed the can-of-worms upon) - except DMaccy does it sometimes in a more subtle way, professing to not be interested in grades after making a film called E11 (blame the marketting team, maybe ;)), and letting the audience draw their own conclusion from then Ben thing being "even harder than a route graded E11". So he's up there to have a bit of fun poked at the hyperbole just like anyone else.

I can't recall the exact details but Caff and crew did downgrade the Longhope route yes.

petejh

• forum hero
#9209 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 07:04:50 pm
I've always thought Dave Mac to be the monarch of the humblebrag, but it probably stems from the tension inherent in him being seemingly a genuinely modest quiet guy who's made a career choice that almost completely relies for income on constant self-promotion. Bit like Ste Mc in a kilt, with ice-axes.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#9210 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 07:16:33 pm
Well put Pete. Compare to Ryan P, etc etc.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#9211 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 07:43:44 pm
I've got massive respect for Dave McLeod. He does what very very few do which is to perform very close to the highest level in all disciplines and does it in a fairly modest and unshowy way. Not only that but he's done more (IMO, Lattice employees may disagree) than anybody else to understand the science around training for climbing and distill that knowledge into simple, accessible training advice. All whilst living in the rainiest place on the globe. Humblebrag on, Dave.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#9212 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 08:16:05 pm
I can't recall the exact details but Caff and crew did downgrade the Longhope route yes.

From memory...
Went and worked it after he'd been training for something hard, said it was piss somewhat easier than DMac graded it but didn't climb it for some reason.
Went back the following year and found it be harder than he remembered and more like the grade.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#9213 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 08:30:54 pm
I've got massive respect for Dave McLeod. He does what very very few do which is to perform very close to the highest level in all disciplines and does it in a fairly modest and unshowy way. Not only that but he's done more (IMO, Lattice employees may disagree) than anybody else to understand the science around training for climbing and distill that knowledge into simple, accessible training advice. All whilst living in the rainiest place on the globe. Humblebrag on, Dave.

Word.

remus

• forum hero
#9214 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 08:51:13 pm
(IMO, Lattice employees may disagree)

;D

I've got a lot of time for Dave. He puts out a lot of good stuff on youtube and generally offers very sound advice.

Quote from: Duncan Campbell
In many ways I think this is very much Pearson’s style though? More on the Boulder you end of the spectrum?

I was under the impression he was much more of a route climber now? I imagine he's still pretty sharp on the boulders but he's been doing a lot of route climbing these last few years...

Duncan campbell

• junky
#9215 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 10:20:53 pm

Quote from: Duncan Campbell

I was under the impression he was much more of a route climber now? I imagine he's still pretty sharp on the boulders but he's been doing a lot of route climbing these last few years...

Yeah good point. Can imagine he still favours boulders stuff though? Think that 9a he did recently was more bouldery/power endurance than an all out Stam Route.

Tribe is obviously bigger than most grit routes but is it maybe more of that style? Looks like techy, tricky, but not desperate compared to the top, lower wall. Bit of a rest then gun it up the prow?

Could be well off the mark there obviously.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#9216 Re: significant repeats
October 22, 2020, 10:23:26 pm
professing to not be interested in grades after making a film called E11 (blame the marketting team, maybe ;)),

It’s a British climbing film Fiend, there wasn’t a marketing team involved. The guy who made it (not Dave Mac) shot it on sick days from his job and posted the DVDs out from his flat.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9217 Re: significant repeats
October 23, 2020, 10:57:19 am

I can. Having discussed a downgrade they went for taking the grade while letting the extremely quick, casual nature of their repeat speak for the epic burn. Ben even found time to make a little film while swinging leads on-sight.

I'd echo what others have said about Dave Mac though, that all the 8s in a day thing has my total respect and is what British climbing should be all about.

submaximal gains

• player
#9218 Re: significant repeats
October 23, 2020, 11:30:20 am
Re. the long hope route.

James McHaffie initially felt it was E8 when doing the final pitch of the route after inspection.

"The next day we make the pilgrimage back to St Johns head. Abseiling down the face is sheltered from the strong Southerlies giving perfect climbing conditions. I spend half an hour on a grigri playing on the moves and checking the protection. Adam goes down for a look and when its my turn for a top rope I’m keen to do the longest link i can and manage to link it 1st go with plenty of good shakeouts it felt about 8a+. As the gear appeared excellent I was keen to lead it immediately as this is essentially the Salathe Wall crack pitch of the UK.  I abbed in and as evening looked like it was coming in thought better of it and jugged back out again. We were keen for GMB on the Old Man but with the Squalls that had been passing this pitch appeared the better idea.

The day after we arrived there again, I rechecked the gear and warmed up mincing about on the nice E5 wall to gain the gear and the crackline. It’s quite windy but as it was our last day i knew it would give me confidence to come back to try the full link if i led this pitch. The lead went smoothly and as a locked the 2 crimps to reach for the jugs before a hands off and the e4 6b finishing crack my foot popped off. Although I fell on the biggest runout on the pitch I had a good rock 11 and rock 2 at foot height. I was going to pull back on and go to the top as I’d learned what I wanted to about the pitch but Adam said to give it another go. After a good rest huddling from the wind on the belay we pulled the ropes and I set off up. I’d asked Adam about how he did the crux high step about halfway up which I’d felt a little sloppy on. I attempted it his way and promptly fell off that move. Pissed off I came down pulled the rope and after afew minutes climbed it and this time it felt steady. I abbed and stripped it and Adam jugged out near hypothermic for his belay efforts. As i took out the last of the belay and swung out on the Abb rope I felt I was going to die, swinging out 15/20 m with the wind taking me towards Big John I start to jug up the rope as fast as I can feeling dizzy.
The pitch would way in at E8 7a, with good protection after the initial E5 start. It’s a great achievement by Dave Macleod to do it after all the other pitches as climbing an E8 7a when tired is hard.

The pitch itself is not E9 because it’s lacking in any form of runout with many E6/7s being much more serious propositions than this. Once you’ve done the E5 start you could fall off any move and not go very far and even the E5 you’d just take airtime.  It also has only 1 move that would warrant 7a, and 2 of 6c. "
http://www.jamesmchaffie.com/caffs-blog/team-no-hope-head-to-hoy

In his write up of doing the whole route with Bransby he says "I was impressed with Dave Maceods ascent as it was fall free and the top pitch is a slippery devil which when placing loads of kit will feel 8b, to do similar we would've probably needed another session and a rest day as well as the fact that me and Ben were swinging leads. Drummond and Hills effort hanging out in the land of the birds for a week back then left me dumbfounded, a stunning effort. The crag feels like it belongs to the Fulmars and the less time spent on it for me the better. "
http://www.jamesmchaffie.com/caffs-blog/longhope-report

The video is here

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#9219 Re: significant repeats
October 23, 2020, 12:41:53 pm
Caff needs to blog more. What the conclusion is who knows. Maybe it's time - on-topic! - for someone to do a top ten of the hardest trad routes in the world....

BTW don't get me wrong, I am almost as much of a DMaccy fanboi as any red-blooded male or female, including particularly how he's now tailoring his eloquent Youtube videos to your typical climber interested in progressing (rather than your typical climber with as much military self-discipline and robotic determination as DM himself irrespective of grade, as they started out as). But like anyone who is up on a pedestal or otherwise, I think there's still opportunity for a bit of fun-poking or genuine criticism when necessary.

Doylo

• forum hero
#9220 Re: significant repeats
October 23, 2020, 02:01:55 pm
Well put Pete. Compare to Ryan P, etc etc.

Macleod needs to actually earn a living though. Pascal just lives off rent and beer tokens.

gme

• forum hero
#9221 Re: significant repeats
October 23, 2020, 02:25:53 pm
New 9b/+ from the master tough grader himself.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGr-xs_D2_4/?igshid=1ph0azl8eesz5

Looks amazing. Always think the limestone in France is on another level to the shitty looking Spanish stuff.

Bradders

• forum hero
#9222 Re: significant repeats
October 28, 2020, 09:15:22 pm
Cal Coldwell-Storry and Alex Moore did The Young on Saturday, both ground up. Think I'm right in saying these are the first ground up ascents (after all the controversy around Franco last year). Unless Niall McNair did it GU?

andy_e

• forum hero
#9223 Re: significant repeats
October 28, 2020, 09:32:56 pm
Fairly sure Niall ground upped it.

Bradders

• forum hero
#9224 Re: significant repeats
October 28, 2020, 09:40:15 pm
Ah cool. Stills feels fairly significant; four ascents this year versus two in the previous 20!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal