UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4343839 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#7950 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 09:52:29 am
I generally really like Caff's sardonic sense of humour and his blog posts, but I cringed when reading this.

It's fair to discuss the issues around social media and sponsored climbers (espeically post Kindergate), but to say you effectively hate a company is unfair towards those who earn their livelihoods working for it. I know some very cool/hard working/impressive people who work for Rab and to suggest that a 'Company' is just those at the top of the tree is a bit naïve.

We've all been treated badly at some point in work//life. If you work in business you learn to be thick skinned. And there was me thinking Caff was a tough Cumbrian!

36chambers

• forum hero
#7951 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 10:24:47 am
And there was me thinking Caff was a tough Cumbrian!

Can't be that tough if he's trying to take an E9 tick for a measly E7

petejh

• forum hero
#7952 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 10:52:00 am
I generally really like Caff's sardonic sense of humour and his blog posts, but I cringed when reading this.

It's fair to discuss the issues around social media and sponsored climbers (espeically post Kindergate), but to say you effectively hate a company is unfair towards those who earn their livelihoods working for it. I know some very cool/hard working/impressive people who work for Rab and to suggest that a 'Company' is just those at the top of the tree is a bit naïve.

We've all been treated badly at some point in work//life. If you work in business you learn to be thick skinned. And there was me thinking Caff was a tough Cumbrian!

I think ‘because people earn their livelihoods from it’ is no justification for dodging criticism.

And if it was, then why shouldn’t that work both ways?

Surely a company and their staff should be thick-skinned enough to take a bit of banter from a load of ‘cyber wankers’ - like Caff in this case.

Just like climber x should be thick-skinned enough to get the elbow from Rab (which presumably would affect a climber’s livelihood to some extent).

gme

• forum hero
#7953 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 11:02:20 am
Interesting that Rab appear to be an utter cesspit of chuffs when it comes to sponsorship.

Rab is owned by a total ring piece who cares only for making money... can’t remember his name now but when I worked in the warehouse most thought him a total bellend. Made his first million selling those accessory krabs.

I never get comments like this.Is not the primary function of a business to make money?
I know a lot of business people and all to a one do it to make money. The level of what they want to make varies and effects how much or little they work but its all about money.
Doing this does not make you a bellend. He maybe a bellend for other reasons but not this.

T_B

• forum hero
#7954 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 11:25:18 am

I think ‘because people earn their livelihoods from it’ is no justification for dodging criticism.

Surely a company and their staff should be thick-skinned enough to take a bit of banter from a load of ‘cyber wankers’ - like Caff in this case.

Just like climber x should be thick-skinned enough to get the elbow from Rab (which presumably would affect a climber’s livelihood to some extent).

Being treated poorly by one or two individuals within an organisation doesn't mean you need to tar everyone with the same brush. People move around anyway. The implication is that the culture at Rab and the company is rotten, which I don't think's true nor fair.

But Rab as a company is successful, so they're an easy target and everyone just loves to jump on the bandwagon eh.

T_B

• forum hero
#7955 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 11:30:22 am
Interesting that Rab appear to be an utter cesspit of chuffs when it comes to sponsorship.

Rab is owned by a total ring piece who cares only for making money... can’t remember his name now but when I worked in the warehouse most thought him a total bellend. Made his first million selling those accessory krabs.

I never get comments like this.Is not the primary function of a business to make money?
I know a lot of business people and all to a one do it to make money. The level of what they want to make varies and effects how much or little they work but its all about money.
Doing this does not make you a bellend. He maybe a bellend for other reasons but not this.

Make money. Give people jobs and opportunities. Pay them more. How do business owners sleep at night?

Duncan campbell

• junky
#7956 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 01:47:47 pm
What a twat

petejh

• forum hero
#7957 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 01:50:10 pm

Make money. Give people jobs and opportunities. Pay them more. How do business owners sleep at night?

Inequality bed no doubt.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#7958 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 01:53:24 pm

Being treated poorly by one or two individuals within an organisation doesn't mean you need to tar everyone with the same brush. People move around anyway. The implication is that the culture at Rab and the company is rotten, which I don't think's true nor fair.

But Rab as a company is successful, so they're an easy target and everyone just loves to jump on the bandwagon eh.

Very well balanced comments T_B.

+1

As you say, really important to remember all those involved.

As a separate point, for me, the suggestion that business is all about making money is a naive oversimplification.

Also have to applaud teestub for remaining good humoured  :thumbsup:

Would be an amazing coup for both parties, if Caff and Rab could patch things up. I'll accuse myself off being naive before anyone else does.

gme

• forum hero
#7959 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 02:28:05 pm

As a separate point, for me, the suggestion that business is all about making money is a naive oversimplification.

I did not say it was i said its the primary function and one that, in my reasonably broad experience, is what 99+% of businesses exist for.

If the owner of RAB was unethical, treated his staff very badly, ripped off customers, had a very bad environmental effect etc. and did so knowingly you could then justify him being called a bellend. To be called one because you made a business decision not to sponsor someone and HR maybe didnt handle it as well as they should, seems completely out of order to me.

I dont know anything about the issue that Caff is obviously upset about but i do know the reason why a business would chose to sponsor Andy Cave (just one i have picked off there website) and Caff despite the latter being a much better climber.

Image and audience is everything.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#7960 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 02:47:43 pm
GME.

My apologies if I've taken your comments out of context, or misrepresented them.

It wasn't a direct quote of you, because it was a reference to the common misconception that business is all about money and profit.

Dave.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7961 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 02:49:25 pm

Also have to applaud teestub for remaining good humoured  :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave, little not to remain good humoured about, as Caff's blog has confirmed a large amount of the points I was trying to make.

andy popp

• forum hero
#7962 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 10:28:58 am
As far as I can tell from a Dixon FB post, Angus Kilelle (Sp?) has done The Indian Face. I think an ascent of IF will almost always remain significant.

jshaw

• addict
#7963 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 10:38:28 am
*Kille

andy popp

• forum hero
#7964 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 11:02:09 am
Apologies.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#7965 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 11:18:23 am
As far as I can tell from a Dixon FB post, Angus Kilelle (Sp?) has done The Indian Face. I think an ascent of IF will almost always remain significant.

Agreed

Bradders

• forum hero
#7966 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 05:45:16 pm
Back on significant repeats, Becky Wilby has done Armed Response in Rocklands according to her Insta:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5Or1RDixu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1jkm041gzdn8b

Klem Loskot classic with a bit of history behind it, seems to get 8A+ in some places and 8B in others. Regardless of grade, clearly a very hard bit of climbing. Pretty awesome in my opinion, just Shauna and Nia that I can think of operating at that sort of level from UK women atm.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#7967 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 06:51:37 pm
The most "dark horse" couple in UK climbing? Font 8b+ for Sam and now font 8a+/b for Becky. Also not a sponsor between them as far as I can tell, just a genuine sike for training and climbing. Really inspiring.

Doylo

• forum hero
#7968 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 07:16:34 pm
The most "dark horse" couple in UK climbing? Font 8b+ for Sam and now font 8a+/b for Becky. Also not a sponsor between them as far as I can tell, just a genuine sike for training and climbing. Really inspiring.

5.10 should dump Dave n Mina and give it all them.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7969 Re: significant repeats
July 06, 2018, 10:36:54 pm

Harder than that for Sam. He showed me some pics once of him climbing Misti in Font.

Top effort by Becky!

monkey boy

• forum hero
#7970 Re: significant repeats
July 07, 2018, 07:27:12 am
That is a seriously fine effort, Becky must have a great pair of shoulders! I don't know Becky but I think it's cool that she got on this where most are drawn to it's easier counter part Fragile Steps by lure of a bigger grade. Interestingly this was given 8B by Klem and then was downgraded due to someone climbing it that the guidebook author thought wasn't strong enough to climb 8B  :lol:

Also I think Misti is traverse 8c Robin so that would equate to 8B/+.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:49:43 am by monkey boy »

monkey boy

• forum hero
#7971 Re: significant repeats
July 16, 2018, 06:38:48 am
Aidan Roberts did Elephants Dawn (8B+) in Rocklands 3rd go yesterday

remus

• forum hero
#7972 Re: significant repeats
July 16, 2018, 07:16:45 am
Fuckin A. There's some hard problems in rocklands you look at and think 'maybe if i spent 2 yeard living under a board...' but Elephants Dawn isn't one of them. Gaskins style, no holds and a long way between them.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7973 Re: significant repeats
July 16, 2018, 10:15:54 am
Aidan Roberts did Elephants Dawn (8B+) in Rocklands 3rd go yesterday

*Oliphant's Dawn

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlQzRk-F_pS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Reading through his other posted he's amassing quite a ticklist in a short time!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#7974 Re: significant repeats
July 16, 2018, 11:08:07 am
Strong! Is he employing some kind of flying saucer to keep the sun off the holds?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal