UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4364715 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5850 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 06:46:49 am
Pete Whittaker did kaabah (8c+) tonight at Raven Tor, especially impressive considering his massive sausage fingers and the average size of the razor crimps on the upper wall. Good stuff!

Pete Whittaker talks about his repeat of Kaabah

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5851 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 07:58:02 am
Can I just make a public service announcement for climbers everywhere.

When you're talking about some aspect of your health recovering, you say "heal". You can remember this easily because "heal" is part of the word "healthy".

When you're talking about the back end of your foot, perhaps in the context of hooking it on a bit of rock to help you climb, you say "heel". You can remember this because that's how you fucking spell "heel" isn't it.

:wall:

Duma

• forum hero
#5852 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 08:18:38 am
Edit, delete duplicate of the ondrawad post

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5853 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:11:44 am
Can I just make a public service announcement for climbers everywhere.

When you're talking about some aspect of your health recovering, you say "heal". You can remember this easily because "heal" is part of the word "healthy".

When you're talking about the back end of your foot, perhaps in the context of hooking it on a bit of rock to help you climb, you say "heel". You can remember this because that's how you fucking spell "heel" isn't it.

:wall:

:???: Whilst significant I can't see where this has been repeated? :???:

Could it be poor journalism/editors rather than uneducated climbers?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5854 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:27:54 am
The day has finally arrived when I can do this to you!

<Drum roll>

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Heal+hook%22+climbing

In all seriousness, just because you haven't noticed it, that is not to say it isn't there. Unless you really are the SlackBot and your software is programmed to automatically read all climbing articles for error of any description.

It is there and it is infuriating.

abarro81

• forum hero
#5855 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:34:43 am
"Onsite" is the one that gets on my nerves

dave

#5856 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:41:02 am
Don't get me started with people misspelling "up problem" as "bloc".

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5857 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:41:57 am
The day has finally arrived when I can do this to you!

<Drum roll>

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Heal+hook%22+climbing

WTF, are you on crack again Will?  I know exactly what a heel hook is, I wasn't asking for its definition so stick your LMGTFY up your arse.  Quite why you've done it as "heal hook" is very strange too since that is exactly what you were ranting against.  Most be a particularly potent batch of crack you've got.

I'm questioning what lit the fire under your outrage because...

In all seriousness, just because you haven't noticed it, that is not to say it isn't there. Unless you really are the SlackBot and your software is programmed to automatically read all climbing articles for error of any description.

It is there and it is infuriating.

In all seriousness I searched the current page for the two terms which are the source of your ire and they're not mentioned in the last 50 posts (how I have the forum configured).  I scanned Pete Whittaker's interview for the same terms, none there, nor on Ethan's Farcebook write-up on Kabbah.  Hence I'm asking you where it occurred, you don't need to be a dick about telling me where it is.

If you're going to rant at least be clear what is you're ranting about rather than being obtuse.  Further remember one of the very few UKB rules written in 2004...

Anything Else?
Don't resort to critcising people's grammar or spelling when arguing/debating - firstly it's rather scraping the insults barrel; secondly people often type to forums quickly whilst at work, etc; and lastly some people may be dyslexic.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5858 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:54:25 am

in this era of armchair claims of both grades and particular routes, we need a term to distinguish ticks gained at the crag (on-site) and ones gained merely by placing a tick in a guidebook or on Banu* (off-site)

*Banu - the ancient God of Spray

using "Banu" helps in reducing that man's google rating

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5859 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 09:55:27 am

:lol: I had a pair of North Face approach shoes that had it misspelt on the weird technical blurb that was printed on the insole. You can probably imagine how bad the weather was in North Wales when I discovered this.

I once read an impassioned explanation of why this spelling was actually correct (because you do the route without leaving the crag to get beta apparently...) on the UKC forum. That was around the time I decided to stop reading the UKC forum.

I'd like to add the description of an indoor bouldering problem as a "boulder" to this list of off-topic pedantic bugbears.  :geek:

TheTwig

• stalker
#5861 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 07:02:27 pm
Adam Ondra with possibly the worlds hardest flash? Jade V14 http://www.dpmclimbing.com/articles/view/video-ondra-flashes-jade-v14 - The Wizard himself in the video says it's probably the worlds hardest flash  :jaw:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5862 Re: significant repeats
June 08, 2015, 10:04:14 pm
OK, maybe not The News Of The Day compared to some other things, but Lena Hermann has done Markus Bock's Klondike Cat (XI- / 8c).

Second woman to climb the grade in the Frankenjura after Melissa Le Neve on Wallstreet? No, fifth according to planetmountain. Second German woman.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5863 Re: significant repeats
June 11, 2015, 09:59:59 am
Posts on Ben Moon's repeat of Rainshadow split into a separate thread here

Duma

• forum hero
#5864 Re: significant repeats
June 11, 2015, 05:46:22 pm
Not significant really I suppose but monkey boy has done king of limbs.
http://davidamason.co.uk/king-of-limbs/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:53:45 pm by Duma »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5865 Re: significant repeats
June 17, 2015, 09:10:51 pm
 More grey power ascentage at Malham - both Steve Dunning and Al Wilson have ticked Cry Freedom

andy popp

• forum hero
#5866 Re: significant repeats
June 17, 2015, 09:21:19 pm
Are you sure? Chris Gore's FB suggests Al Wilson belayed one Adam Jeffs. Steve definitely did it at the weekend.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5867 Re: significant repeats
June 17, 2015, 09:44:39 pm
 :kiss2:
Are you sure? Chris Gore's FB suggests Al Wilson belayed one Adam Jeffs. Steve definitely did it at the weekend.

Whoops  :slap:

Thanks Andy

Doylo

• forum hero
#5868 Re: significant repeats
June 18, 2015, 08:23:41 pm
Emma Twyford has done the FFA of Melanchollie at LPT. Only gets 8b but it's short and bouldery and hard for the grade. Plus it's the first 8b female ascent in Wales (harder grades than England  ;))

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#5869 Re: significant repeats
June 19, 2015, 07:45:55 am
Well done Emma

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#5870 Re: significant repeats
June 19, 2015, 10:47:41 am
Emma Twyford has done the FFA of Melanchollie at LPT. Only gets 8b but it's short and bouldery and hard for the grade. Plus it's the first 8b female ascent in Wales (harder grades than England  ;))

Nice one Emma!

Only gets 8b

Only... I thought 8b was hard...!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#5871 Re: significant repeats
June 19, 2015, 11:50:20 am

nice one Emma

Doylo

• forum hero
#5872 Re: significant repeats
June 19, 2015, 12:20:45 pm

Nice one Emma!

Only gets 8b

Only... I thought 8b was hard...!

It is but not usually hard enough for this thread. This ones a toughie though, the holds are small.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5873 Re: significant repeats
June 20, 2015, 08:50:33 am
An FFA is significant at that grade. There are a handful of women, globally, consistently climbing at that grade (note, Sasha is racking up a few FFA's across Europe right now at similar levels).

It's only a very few who have broken that barrier.

It's looking encouraging for the current Female elite to smash those limits in the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abarro81

• forum hero
#5874 Re: significant repeats
June 20, 2015, 09:02:49 am
I don't mean to be a dick, but you must have big hands. There are a handful of world class girls onsighting at that level..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal