UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4236339 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2775 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 01:29:51 pm
How many times have you had that drum reskinned Fiend?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2776 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 01:35:33 pm
It's bound to be going unnoticed if all someone posts is a cryptic and minimal twitter quote with no location no second names and no bloody details. It's not news until it's posted as comprehensible news rather than Adam Lincoln style "nudge nudge wink wink someone somewhere did something" one-liners.

No the event itself is the news.

The location, names and details are called reportage.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2777 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 01:53:42 pm
Nice, I thought this was going somewhat unnoticed. I guess its not news til its on UKC though eh?

It's bound to be going unnoticed if all someone posts is a cryptic and minimal twitter quote with no location no second names and no bloody details. It's not news until it's posted as comprehensible news rather than Adam Lincoln style "nudge nudge wink wink someone somewhere did something" one-liners.

And it is great news, especially since he actually had to place gear on it.

As I asked on the other thread, is it really significant to you if you have zero idea of where/who/what an ascent is etc. and need it spelling out?

If people didn't know any of the facts in the UKC 'news item' on Samson for instance, I can't really understand what the news report would mean to them other than "boy done good [again]"? It'd be like me reading an economic summary.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2778 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 02:19:21 pm
It's bound to be going unnoticed if all someone posts is a cryptic and minimal twitter quote with no location no second names and no bloody details.

True, yeah. I didn't add any details because if I wasn't there it makes me feel like a cunt for some reason.

T_B

• forum hero
#2779 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 02:24:24 pm
Wowsers, seriously impressive doing that ground up. Maybe I should ask Santa for a Beastmaker after all...

north_country_boy

• junky
#2780 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 02:31:43 pm
Nice, I thought this was going somewhat unnoticed. I guess its not news til its on UKC though eh?

And it is great news, especially since he actually had to place gear on it.

As I asked on the other thread, is it really significant to you if you have zero idea of where/who/what an ascent is etc. and need it spelling out?

If people didn't know any of the facts in the UKC 'news item' on Samson for instance, I can't really understand what the news report would mean to them other than "boy done good [again]"? It'd be like me reading an economic summary.

Nice one Dan, that is one big scary line!

Does it matter if its Significant to 'you' if its on public media source? It caters for a broad spectrum of people, and I can see why it can be frustrating when ascents like this don't get the recognition they deserve, even if <5% of UKC's readership truly appreciate them.

I regularly read the sport supplement on a Sunday but it doesn't mean I read or take any notice of the horse racing results? I'm sure in the same vein, you have no interest in people climbing new winter routes in Scotland....

Some consistency is what is required, like why Ned's recent 8B ascents in Font weren't covered on UKC, but every movement of the bloody yanks is documented.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:44:17 pm by north_country_boy »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2781 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 02:37:48 pm
But as with the flash/not tangent this ain't the thread for it.

Perhaps UKB could somehow fill the perceived void of reportage of news being bulked out with details.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2782 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 02:48:14 pm
I regularly read the sport supplement on a Sunday but it doesn't mean I read or take any notice of the horse racing results? I'm sure in the same vein, you have no interest in people climbing new winter routes in Scotland....

...or reading an economic sumary. Exactly.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#2783 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 04:21:56 pm
every movement of the bloody yanks is documented.

I have noticed that everytime paul robinson draws breath it is on the UKC news page, even when ondra flashed gecko the headline was about paul robinson adding some pointless variation on gourmandise and ondra doing the hardest flash ever was halfway down the page.  does he (p robinson) write the news for UKC?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2784 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 04:29:23 pm
Presumably the Yanks broadcast themselves a bit louder than Ned does.

cofe

• forum hero
#2785 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 04:32:44 pm
Ned is such a bell end.

Doylo

• forum hero
#2786 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 04:38:42 pm
It's all about the broadcast volume, and what station bjorn paul has tuned in.

Stubbs

#2787 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 04:44:03 pm
Rather than just regurgitating what Bjorn was writing UKC employed him, now it seems Bjorn is just reporting everything that comes off 27crags, maybe the borg should assimilate that website too?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2788 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 05:01:48 pm

"It's not news until we say it is. Blogging is futile."

north_country_boy

• junky
#2789 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 05:04:44 pm
Presumably the Yanks broadcast themselves a bit louder than Ned does.

I agree. Someone needs to filter out that white noise.

I have noticed that everytime paul robinson draws breath it is on the UKC news page, even when ondra flashed gecko the headline was about paul robinson adding some pointless variation on gourmandise and ondra doing the hardest flash ever was halfway down the page.  does he (p robinson) write the news for UKC?

Totally agree. Hopefully Ondra will continue to blow them out of the water in 2012 while remaining humble and honest in his approach.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2790 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 05:06:06 pm
I've not heard of the Dark Side.

Anyone got the skinny? Gear, history, style of FA..?   

Doylo

• forum hero
#2791 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 05:12:44 pm
Well the likes of Ned may not shout too loud about their hard ascents but there still seems to be little effort on the investigative journalism front. P-rob has done a sit down start to the stairs at font 9a and next year plans to tour Tesco local branches in the London area with his hommies the salvation army.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2792 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 07:29:53 pm
I don't have any particular beef about this,  I just think rather than complaining about UKC reporting of news, we could do a better job of reporting it here. Mark Savage's blog that Slackers linked has great information about Dan's ascent, it would have been nice if Paul B's intial post contained information for those who aren't totally familiar with the route/climber (who might not know that it's The County's biggest number, unrepeated etc etc), or maybe even a seperate news item (as I for one think it is pretty badass news).

Same with Ned's stuff. The whining about the Americans on the other channel is far more cringeworthy than the Americans' harmless posturing. So if Ned is underreported, well then just report his ascents better. I visit UKB a few times a day and I don't know about it, so where is this news????

Shark: Andy Earl E9 7b at Back Bowden, highballing up a leaning wall to sort-of gear and then the top, FA about plenty of pads, no history since AFAIK.

grimer

• forum hero
#2793 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 07:37:13 pm
I agree with you Fiend. As sponsored climbers it's up to people like Paul Robinson to let the media know what they've been up to. Publicising yourself probably takes a lot of effort. Some folk can't be arsed with it, which is fair enough.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2794 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 07:53:10 pm
it would have been nice if Paul B's intial post contained information for those who aren't totally familiar with the route/climber

there's nothing stopping people posting a reponse if you're curious. I'm certainly not going to start adding details such as FA etc. to posts on this thread.

Rollito Sharma by the way, is in Santa Linya (which itself is in Spain). Its F8c, Alan Cassidy did it previously etc. etc.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2795 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 08:06:35 pm
I agree with you Fiend. As sponsored climbers it's up to people like Paul Robinson to let the media know what they've been up to. Publicising yourself probably takes a lot of effort.

I don't think it does really. It just not very British. I think the problem is in the UK the remuneration doesn't compensate - not for the effort, but for the embarrassment of public willy-waving. Only the biggest ego will set up two facebook profiles and write look-at-me tweets at least twice a week without serious financial incentives.

abarro81

• forum hero
#2796 Re: significant repeats
December 20, 2011, 09:18:26 pm
I for one don't begrudge the likes of Robinson getting as much publicity as possible - if doing that meant I could be a full time climber indefinitely I'd do it at the drop of a hat. I think JB is right though - it's worth it if it means you get paid enough to climb all the time, it's probably not worth it if you're going to get an extra free pad each year for the effort/embarrassment.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2797 Re: significant repeats
December 21, 2011, 12:09:14 am
I don't have any particular beef about this,  I just think rather than complaining about UKC reporting of news, we could do a better job of reporting it here. Mark Savage's blog that Slackers linked has great information about Dan's ascent, it would have been nice if Paul B's intial post contained information for those who aren't totally familiar with the route/climber (who might not know that it's The County's biggest number, unrepeated etc etc), or maybe even a seperate news item (as I for one think it is pretty badass news).

Therein lies the crux, Paul B posted after a beastmaker tweet, no further information available in that, but I'll hazard a guess that Paul knew a bit about the history (I was unaware of the route and in ignorance thought it was a reference to James's route purely because of the Star Wars theme).  When I saw Mark Savage's blog post, it provided clarity and I thought adding such to Paul's post would be useful for other readers of this forum.

Clearly there was a delay between Dan tweeting about how chuffed he was at achieving a dream (perfectly understandable, I tweet about the trade-routes I do, that is after all the nature of the beast) and Mark having processed the few pics he'd got and found the time to write it up and post it to his blog.

I see this as community sourced reportage, rather than a definitive "we are the news" stance.  Of the two I prefer the former, and don't mind information coming through in such drips-&-drabs (had I been uber curious in the first instance of reading the tweet I would have searched for further details of the route, had that not have been successful I'd have asked questions as to the significance).

:off: perhaps a separate thread along the lines of "reporting of 'significant repeats'" is required?.

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#2798 Re: significant repeats
December 21, 2011, 12:14:23 am
Great effort by Dan - top marks!

philo

• forum hero
#2799 Re: significant repeats
December 21, 2011, 10:08:06 am
the route was always green or full of shite after being completely in the shade 24/7.  Until recently when they chopped some trees down and opening it up, how long ago was that? a couple of years?
Such a scary route and looks disgusting.
Actually, although this might be like getting footage of monks life, has anyone got the footage of wongy falling from the top of savage slabs? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal