UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4232810 times)

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#9875 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 09:54:07 pm
Out of interest, does anyone know the number of ascents that Once Upon A Time In The Southwest has had, compared to Walk of Life?

Other than Birkett, have many people done both?

Is Walk of Life generally regarded as a bit harder?

Duma

• forum hero
#9876 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 09:55:43 pm
No idea, but I always thought OAATITSW looked the better line, that runnel on the upper slab looks amazing

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9877 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 10:12:11 pm
Remus, out of curiosity where did E10 come from on THE LIST for Hazel Findlay's ascent of Magic Line?

I ask because Magic Line is generally accepted to be solid 5.14c in American, or 8c+ in French. Thinking about all the chat regarding Lexicon, if that's safe-but-run-out 8b+ = E11, then shouldn't safe-but-run-out 8c+ be at least E....12?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, just curious.

Probably from what Hazel herself said on UKC:

Just to clarify. The grade given by the first red point ascentionist of this route (Lonnie Kauk) is 5.14c R which equals 8c+ and probably e10 (but UK grades don’t really make sense for this line).

remus

• forum hero
#9878 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 10:20:35 pm
I believe she's american so she's not on THE list  ;)

Remus, out of curiosity where did E10 come from on THE LIST for Hazel Findlay's ascent of Magic Line?

I ask because Magic Line is generally accepted to be solid 5.14c in American, or 8c+ in French. Thinking about all the chat regarding Lexicon, if that's safe-but-run-out 8b+ = E11, then shouldn't safe-but-run-out 8c+ be at least E....12?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, just curious.

To be honest I just guessed (didn't clock that hazel had said E10, thanks for the reference shark). As I understand it magic line is pretty safe so the comparison with Lexicon may make a little more sense in that light.

remus

• forum hero
#9879 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 10:26:26 pm
Out of interest, does anyone know the number of ascents that Once Upon A Time In The Southwest has had, compared to Walk of Life?

Roughly similar I think. https://climbing-history.org/climb/562/once-upon-a-time-in-the-southwest and https://climbing-history.org/climb/581/the-walk-of-life Probably a few ascents missing from there though. Caff and Charlie Woodburn have done both of them.

My 'finger in the air' grade-o-meter from reading other people's comments is that walk of life is a bit harder.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#9880 Re: significant repeats
September 27, 2021, 10:55:53 pm
Cheers.  I forgot about the wiki.  Good innit!

HaeMeS

• menacing presence

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#9882 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:03:48 am
I saw that, but maybe wait until the ascent is announced in a more unambiguous way?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9883 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:56:34 am
According to her Facebook story Lucy Mitchell flashed her first 8b - I’m presuming at St Leger. I’ve dropped her a message to find out which one

remus

• forum hero
#9884 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 08:18:14 am
What a beast! Only the second British woman to flash 8b? (after Molly)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9885 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 08:39:57 am
Molly’s was onsight of course so arguably the first flash ;-)

abarro81

• forum hero
#9886 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 08:41:47 am
Molly's flashed 8b as well as onsighted

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9887 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 10:57:27 am

One of them has a bold and serious crux start with no/little gear, the other has an easy if loose start and several pegs to go for...

I saw that, but maybe wait until the ascent is announced in a more unambiguous way?
Definitely, good call. Bollox to the "Sean says hi from Ceuse" type vague hints.

remus

• forum hero
#9888 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 11:00:11 am

One of them has a bold and serious crux start with no/little gear, the other has an easy if loose start and several pegs to go for...

The pegs are a bit shit now apparently, though there's quite a bit of other gear in the form of micros, ball nuts and small cams.

Ged

• junky
#9889 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 02:39:53 pm

Roughly similar I think. https://climbing-history.org/climb/562/once-upon-a-time-in-the-southwest and https://climbing-history.org/climb/581/the-walk-of-life Probably a few ascents missing from there though. Caff and Charlie Woodburn have done both of them.

My 'finger in the air' grade-o-meter from reading other people's comments is that walk of life is a bit harder.

My experience from the comfort of a micro traxion; WoL is way more sustained, but with an easier crux.  Gear is not too bad apart from the first 10 metres which are really quite bold.  OUATITSW seemed to have more steady climbing on it with a hard crux.  I spent way more time on WoL as I thought the climbing was amazing.  If I had a gun pointed at me and told to lead one now, it would be OUATITSW. 

I think WoL is also considerably harder for the short, which may account for the fewer ascents.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

dunnyg

• forum hero
#9891 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:02:25 pm
Thats wild. Thats how I imagine I look on a good day climbing a 6b+

edshakey

• forum abuser
#9892 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:06:02 pm
Nico Januel has done The Big Island (8C) with a not-tall-person sequence (still not quite a short person method though!). I'm not familiar with him but he says it's his fourth of the grade, so strong chap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXydcbFZnU/

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9893 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:09:40 pm
Thats wild. Thats how I imagine I look on a good day climbing a 6b+
What, slappy, with your feet slipping off??

Cool climbing in that video. Short route, must really pack it in.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#9894 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:25:07 pm
Nico Januel has done The Big Island (8C) with a not-tall-person sequence (still not quite a short person method though!). I'm not familiar with him but he says it's his fourth of the grade, so strong chap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXydcbFZnU/

He used to be the French bouldering/youth coach.

He did a brilliant interview for UKC a few years ago that helps explain the recent French comp success.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2017/08/nicolas_januel_french_national_bouldering_team_coach-71233

This quote in particular stuck with me.

"I think that for a young athlete, the key is to be physically very strong, because later in life it becomes increasingly difficult to improve in that aspect. The second thing is to be very flexible. You can improve your technique for a long time."

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#9895 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 07:55:50 pm
His comment here interests me:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKWmDxLqJHu/

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#9896 Re: significant repeats
September 28, 2021, 10:23:25 pm
Angie Scarth-Johnson has climbed something called Victimas Del Futur which makes her the first Australian woman (I believe the term is “Sheila”) to climb 9a.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9897 Re: significant repeats
September 29, 2021, 01:57:56 pm
According to her Facebook story Lucy Mitchell flashed her first 8b - I’m presuming at St Leger. I’ve dropped her a message to find out which one

It’s “ Viens voir mon gros jesus” and is at a banned or secret crag which is probably why I can’t find any reference to it online. She did it on a short 5 day trip which is even more impressive
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 02:21:12 pm by shark »

edshakey

• forum abuser
#9898 Re: significant repeats
September 29, 2021, 02:49:52 pm

It’s “ Viens voir mon gros jesus” and is at a banned or secret crag which is probably why I can’t find any reference to it online. She did it on a short 5 day trip which is even more impressive

I'd have thought 5 days is plenty of time to flash a route!

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#9899 Re: significant repeats
September 29, 2021, 03:35:00 pm

I'd have thought 5 days is plenty of time to flash a route!

Indeed, it's no wonder people tell shark to climb faster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal