UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4321381 times)

Danny

• junky
#7925 Re: significant repeats
July 01, 2018, 11:22:12 pm
Because his blog is consistently brilliant.

If I was contracted to provide 10 orrages a week but I instead provided 1 really good banana a month, I’d probably lose that contract.

Fuck orrages. Will is right.

Doylo

• forum hero
#7926 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 08:50:51 am
He’s always posting on Twitter. But doesn’t tag his sponsors  ::) :spank:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7927 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 09:10:30 am
Very good Dan, enjoyed that.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7928 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 09:20:30 am
If I was contracted to provide 10 orrages a week but I instead provided 1 really good banana a month, I’d probably lose that contract.
But in your scenario, the employer could go to any number of other suppliers who will do the job just as well. There's only one Caff.

I would argue that dropping him because he gives you a fantastic blog to work with instead of lots of insipid Instagram posts is like dropping Adele from the label because she demands sparkling water in the dressing room instead of still.

Since Caff is the most prolific and inspiring climber of hard trad in the country you would have thought that a brand would be prepared to do things differently to associate with him. Especially when you're dealing with someone who can not only climb, but can write, and has a personality and a sense of humour. His blog demonstrates that he's happy to share his experiences. I suspect there was just a lack of imagination and will in the marketing department.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7929 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 09:29:05 am
Wild speculation about something we will never know and you have 0 experience of. Boring. Get back to topping up the reservoirs Will.

36chambers

• forum hero
#7930 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 09:31:52 am
Wild speculation about something we will never know and you have 0 experience of. Boring. Get back to topping up the reservoirs Will.

haha, wadded

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7931 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 09:40:11 am

But in your scenario, the employer could go to any number of other suppliers who will do the job just as well etc etc

I’m not arguing with anything you wrote, his job as a sponsored climber is not to be one of the best trad climbers in the world, it’s to sell products. It’s a business transaction, and I know all about his climbing but have literally no idea who his sponsors are, so in that realm he is not succeeding. The marketing people at companies may not even appreciate his achievements.

How many people view his blog, does it have a view counter?

What’s funny about the situation is that he’s in a great situation to market himself very strongly in the UK: he goes to great places and does impressive trad ascents, which is still what most of the punters in the UK aspire to (and allows you to sell shiny clinky things). Unfortunately he takes awful photos and hasn’t really got the hang of any social media.

Anyway off topic, I feel this ground has been covered in detail in previous threads.

Doylo

• forum hero
#7932 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 09:55:11 am
He’s doesn’t put any effort into social media because he finds the sponsored climber social media thing cringeworthy. Some companies will be happy with the way he does things and some will expect #instatags and #hastags. I guess he just needs to go for the companies that are happy with the way he does things. You can’t really complain about the ones who aren’t . That’s their prerogative.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7933 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 10:51:50 am
There’s certainly a balance to be struck with social media, you don’t need to go all Robbie Phillips on it.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#7934 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 01:07:03 pm
Hey up chaps, here’s a link to an bit of audio from a chat I had with Caff last year about his climbing.. he’s surely one of the best (trad) climbers this country has ever seen.

Watch Master’s Wall on Vimeo:

That's great Dan.  :thumbsup:

and yes, cracking blog as always.

user deactivated

#7935 Re: significant repeats
July 02, 2018, 06:08:07 pm
Cheers Dave / Fiend, glad you guys enjoyed it. Caff’s Blog and approach to climbing in general provide a genuine source of inspiration which can be hard to find in the usual social media streams.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#7936 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 08:20:45 am

I’m not arguing with anything you wrote, his job as a sponsored climber is not to be one of the best trad climbers in the world, it’s to sell products. It’s a business transaction, and I know all about his climbing but have literally no idea who his sponsors are, so in that realm he is not succeeding. The marketing people at companies may not even appreciate his achievements.

How many people view his blog, does it have a view counter?

What’s funny about the situation is that he’s in a great situation to market himself very strongly in the UK: he goes to great places and does impressive trad ascents, which is still what most of the punters in the UK aspire to (and allows you to sell shiny clinky things). Unfortunately he takes awful photos and hasn’t really got the hang of any social media.

Anyway off topic, I feel this ground has been covered in detail in previous threads.

Take that 'cyber-wanker'  ;)

Doylo

• forum hero

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7938 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 08:46:17 am

Take that 'cyber-wanker'  ;)

Oooooh shit, better stay out of ‘beris!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7939 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 09:35:19 am
 :lol: gg wp teestub.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#7940 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 09:35:26 am
http://www.jamesmchaffie.com/caffs-blog

:chair:

Can we all club together and get Caff to write one of these a week? Who's in?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#7941 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 08:24:06 pm
http://www.jamesmchaffie.com/caffs-blog

:chair:

"I get on well with each sponsor"

I mean, when's the boy gonna learn? What's that got to do with anything? It's business.

Had me looking desperately for the "rolls around on floor holding sides with laughter" emoji.

Sorry "CW" by the way

"My first money to be received through sponsorship came from none other than Ben Moon and the best moment involving sponsorship for me was many years later when he said his business had just started and was very small at the time he gave me it, I was really touched he’d thought to support me, I think I was 21 or so then. It’s probably the biggest accolade I’ve received in climbing."

Quality.

Danny

• junky
#7942 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 08:46:58 pm
Interesting that Rab appear to be an utter cesspit of chuffs when it comes to sponsorship.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7943 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 08:59:47 pm
Suggest all this is split off the sig reps thread into ‘Creative Writing Prompts for Pro Climbers’ or ‘How to be a cyber wanker’ or similar.

petejh

• forum hero
#7944 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 09:22:51 pm
Interesting that Rab appear to be an utter cesspit of chuffs when it comes to sponsorship.

Err no.. according to Rab:
''Over the years Rab has worked with some extraordinary athletes.''
Maybe they're talking about Caff there..

''Pushing the limits of their chosen discipline and our gear in all corners of the world, we are continually astonished by, and privileged to witness the achievements and endeavours of this community of motivated, passionate people.''
Erm... Caff?

Supporting our athletes at the very top of their game allows us to continue to push the boundaries in all forms of climbing, mountaineering and of course product development.''
Hmmm....  :-\
Well Caff did wear those ridiculous red RAB trousers, looked like a colour-blind paramedic, and thus spawned a hundred twat-looking punters. If that's what they mean by product development?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#7945 Re: significant repeats
July 04, 2018, 11:22:48 pm
I’d buy a Cyber Wanker t-shirt...

Duncan campbell

• junky
#7946 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 07:41:58 am

Rab is owned by a total ring piece who cares only for making money... can’t remember his name now but when I worked in the warehouse most thought him a total bellend. Made his first million selling those accessory krabs. it’s no wonder they didn’t see Caff’s value as a sponsored climber. Yeah, he’s a bit old school but I can’t believe companies aren’t fighting over sponsoring him. He’s handy as fuck and like he says in his blog (long may it continue) is keen to chat about cool things he has done. (Which there are a lot of)
Also Teestub/cyber wanker you must have never seen any photos of caff wearing those heinous red trousers and a pair of usually bright boreals... and if you can’t distinguish at a glance between a Wall-nut and a Stopper then your opinion on any matter really is invalid  ;)

Bradders

• forum hero
#7947 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 07:58:20 am
I’d buy a Cyber Wanker t-shirt...

Reckon we should at least sort teestub out with one  :wank: :lol:

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7948 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 08:22:07 am

Also Teestub/cyber wanker you must have never seen any photos of caff wearing those heinous red trousers and a pair of usually bright boreals... and if you can’t distinguish at a glance between a Wall-nut and a Stopper then your opinion on any matter really is invalid  ;)

I can only assume that those trews were Rab’s first effort at getting rid of him, as I’ve not seen anyone else wearing them, and the rest of their climbers seemed to be in nice stuff from the rock range! When I saw them I had assumed he must have taken sponsorship from some euro fluoro type company!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7949 Re: significant repeats
July 05, 2018, 09:19:57 am

Rab is owned by a total ring piece who cares only for making money... can’t remember his name now but when I worked in the warehouse most thought him a total bellend.
http://www.theoia.co.uk/staff/matt-gowar/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal