UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4304805 times)

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#7550 Re: significant repeats
July 09, 2017, 06:28:10 pm
Seems to be up there at a world standard unless it's only 8c.

I can vouch for it being 8c+. I've been trying it for 4 years and its way harder than any 8c I've done or been on including The Extension, Bat Route, Cry Freedom and True North. The left hand crimp on the last move is significantly worse than in the the 90's as Malc and Jerry used to take this then get the last crimp for the RH. Now this hold has crumbled, this old sequence is no longer possible as there is only a shitty scar left behind so you're basically on your RH only and have to do a big move to cross over to this hold from an undercut/ sidepull. Jerry's old method pre-break looked hard (as in the famous DMM poster of him grimacing) but perhaps not as hard as it is now on this bit.

Perhaps the sheer talent of the repeaters of the 90's and a bit of sandbagging may have contributed to the downgrade from Jerry's 8c+ grade. I think it is safe to say we are now living in a world where an element of grade inflation has occurred since those days. Basically, if Evo is 8c there will have to be a lot of downgrades!  8)

Anyway, an outstanding effort from Will!  :o

Can anyone tell me the name of the video with Jerry climbing Evolution? Used to have it on VHS. Did it get uploaded onto youtube like the Real Thing?

Doylo

• forum hero
#7551 Re: significant repeats
July 09, 2017, 07:03:14 pm

I can vouch for it being 8c+. I've been trying it for 4 years and its way harder than any 8c I've done or been on including The Extension, Bat Route, Cry Freedom and True North. The left hand crimp on the last move is significantly worse than in the the 90's as Malc and Jerry used to take this then get the last crimp for the RH. Now this hold has crumbled, this old sequence is no longer possible as there is only a shitty scar left behind so you're basically on your RH only and have to do a big move to cross over to this hold from an undercut/ sidepull. Jerry's old method pre-break looked hard (as in the famous DMM poster of him grimacing) but perhaps not as hard as it is now on this bit.

Perhaps the sheer talent of the repeaters of the 90's and a bit of sandbagging may have contributed to the downgrade from Jerry's 8c+ grade. I think it is safe to say we are now living in a world where an element of grade inflation has occurred since those days. Basically, if Evo is 8c there will have to be a lot of downgrades!  8)

Can anyone tell me the name of the video with Jerry climbing Evolution? Used to have it on VHS. Did it get uploaded onto youtube like the Real Thing?

Didn't know there was one.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#7552 Re: significant repeats
July 09, 2017, 07:30:46 pm

Maybe I imagined it. Could be getting confused with old copies of OTT and that old peak lime video.

Kingy

• forum hero
#7553 Re: significant repeats
July 09, 2017, 07:33:14 pm

There isn't a video of Jerry climbing Evo. There is one of Ben falling off the last move here

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7554 Re: significant repeats
July 09, 2017, 08:12:48 pm
And a great one of Ru doing the same:

Kingy

• forum hero
#7555 Re: significant repeats
July 10, 2017, 08:23:17 am
Jordan has done Batshadow 8c+ at Malham. This links Bat Route into the top of Overshadow via a R to L traverse  :clap2:

Tommy

• junky
#7556 Re: significant repeats
July 10, 2017, 09:44:35 am
Good work Jordan!!  :great:

monkey boy

• forum hero
#7557 Re: significant repeats
July 10, 2017, 09:05:43 pm
Megos did Monkey Wedding in half an hour after having one session on it 3 years ago!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7558 Re: significant repeats
July 11, 2017, 09:08:43 am
Pieds nus?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Duma

• forum hero
#7559 Re: significant repeats
July 11, 2017, 09:46:31 am
Yeah, old hat with rubber these days

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7560 Re: significant repeats
July 11, 2017, 10:35:35 am
I kneepads are borderline unethical, then surely hats with rubber shouldn't be accepted without discussion either?

Duma

• forum hero
#7561 Re: significant repeats
July 11, 2017, 11:03:28 am
 :clap2:

cofe

• forum hero
#7562 Re: significant repeats
July 16, 2017, 06:09:34 pm

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7563 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2017, 09:23:40 am
Outstanding. What a beast.
 :dance1:

BID

• addict
  • Formerly fat
#7564 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2017, 02:14:25 pm
Puccio seems to be just pottering up 8B nowadays, it seems to be her "in a day" grade. Mad.

WillRobertson

• regular

Duma

• forum hero
#7566 Re: significant repeats
July 23, 2017, 10:21:52 pm
Fucking hell.

What other 8B+ flashes have there been?

haydn jones

• forum hero
#7567 Re: significant repeats
July 23, 2017, 10:32:14 pm
Ondra on  jade

Doylo

• forum hero
#7568 Re: significant repeats
July 23, 2017, 10:34:24 pm
Entlinge, Daniel Woods.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7569 Re: significant repeats
July 23, 2017, 10:38:32 pm
Amazing.
 :dance1:

dave

#7570 Re: significant repeats
July 24, 2017, 08:08:49 am
Jesus H, the boy done good.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#7571 Re: significant repeats
August 01, 2017, 05:06:14 pm
Saw on FB that Will Bosi has done the 4th ascent of The Prow at Kyloe.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#7572 Re: significant repeats
August 01, 2017, 05:24:42 pm
Saw on FB that Will Bosi has done the 4th ascent of The Prow at Kyloe.

Impressive yes, but significant? If the UKC report is correct, then Earl did it with no pads, presumably after top roping, Dan Varian and Ned Feehally did it ground up after cleaning and Bosi does it after top roping with lots of pads. It would be significant if he had improved on style, but he didn't. Anyhow I just burnt my steak so felt the need to moan  :boohoo:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7573 Re: significant repeats
August 01, 2017, 05:36:19 pm
I agree with the principle that not improving on Ned's / Dan's style is arguably not significant. However I wouldn't trust the UKC news article, the definitive guide shows Andy Earl climbing it above at least 5 medium/large pads with possibly more out of shot (unless it's a repeat ascent for the camera).

ian dunn

• player
#7574 Re: significant repeats
August 01, 2017, 06:52:50 pm
Laura Rogora on Biographie 8c+ found the start with broken holds very hard as she is only 1m51 also she is only 16 too! Has worked all the moves on Realization too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal