UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4291623 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10075 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:10:32 pm
Great effort. Feel bad for Ry, all that effort for nowt. And I know Raven tor isn't the most photogenic crag but still, crap photos.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10076 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:15:59 pm
Great effort. Feel bad for Ry, all that effort for nowt. And I know Raven tor isn't the most photogenic crag but still, crap photos.

The other one is slightly better:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVxr19WLZRL/

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10077 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:25:59 pm
What this newsflash is missing is a hard hitting soundtrack. I think this would fit the bill nicely:

PS - Top effort Will! Whatever the correct grade it sounds like a harder tick than many a 9b to me.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10078 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:30:57 pm

The other one is slightly better:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVxr19WLZRL/
The photo where you can't see much of the surrounding crag because it's in the shade  :yes: :clap2:

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#10079 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:34:16 pm
One snippet. It’s still awaiting a non-wind assisted repeat I hear 😅
https://youtu.be/MXWUXyJvwtA?t=59
Sorry

JamieG

• forum hero
#10080 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:38:01 pm
Feels like there is a bit of a negative vibe in the thread. Complaining about Instagram/photos/grade etc. Surely the focus should just be congratulations to Will. How often does a route wait over 20 years for a repeat? Great effort!

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#10081 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:43:43 pm
JamieG: Instagram is for congratulating. UKB is for arguing the minutiae   ;D

I think the grade discussions are trying to boost him up rather than pull him down, that was my intention anyway.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#10082 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:45:17 pm
You're right of course. Awesome work. Sitting there like a beacon at a prime hotspot and still took 23 years for a repeat. Kudos Will, kudos Steve.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10083 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:53:38 pm

I think the grade discussions are trying to boost him up rather than pull him down, that was my intention anyway.
Yeah UKB is full of armchair critics moaning about and dismissing the grade....

.....cos we think it should be higher  :lol:

P.S. Obligatory sincerest congratulations on a quite splendid ascent of much worth and interest etc etc etc.

JamieG

• forum hero
#10084 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 03:54:06 pm

Yeah fair enough regarding grades. Certainly seems like a nails route. Be interesting to see if any of the other strong youths are more psyched now.

User deactivated

• stalker
#10085 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:02:47 pm
Feels like there is a bit of a negative vibe in the thread. Complaining about Instagram/photos/grade etc. Surely the focus should just be congratulations to Will. How often does a route wait over 20 years for a repeat? Great effort!

Couldn’t agree more. Loads of negativity for no reason. Maybe he just wanted to enjoy it for a couple days. Whatever the reason the focus should surely be on the top class effort.

ali k

• junky
#10086 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:04:02 pm
Be interesting to see if any of the other strong youths are more psyched now.
Don’t think they’ll have much choice given that they’re rinsing the 9a’s and there aren’t really that many routes >9a to go at in the UK.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10087 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:04:27 pm
Yeah fair enough regarding grades. Certainly seems like a nails route. Be interesting to see if any of the other strong youths are more psyched now.

I feel an orderly queue won't be forming. If he'd upped it half a grade on the other hand...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10088 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:11:23 pm

:lol: + I just assume that even if wads are reading UKB they don’t need the likes of me to tell them climbing 9th grade routes is impressive. Goes without saying.

Mad to think that the second ascentionist wasn’t born when the first ascent was made. Has that even happened before?

Duncan campbell

• junky
#10089 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:14:03 pm
Be interesting to see if any of the other strong youths are more psyched now.
Don’t think they’ll have much choice given that they’re rinsing the 9a’s and there aren’t really that many routes >9a to go at in the UK.

Innit!

Mega effort Will! But come on, cant we just lay claim to the world's first 9c+!?  ;D

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10090 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:17:34 pm

:lol: + I just assume that even if wads are reading UKB they don’t need the likes of me to tell them climbing 9th grade routes is impressive. Goes without saying.

Mad to think that the second ascentionist wasn’t born when the first ascent was made. Has that even happened before?
:agree:
I'd like to think if said wads venture to read what UKB has to say on their ascents they'd be either non-plussed, mildly amused, or suitably flattered. I don't see anything here which would be read as a dig or an insult to anyone with the slightest understanding of how the place works.

Ed booth

• regular
#10091 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:28:24 pm

We can congratulate him now. Most of the comments seemed to be when everyone knew he had done it but it felt like there was some Big Brother presence out to make sure nobody knew. Now we know...

It is indeed a fine effort of a bloody hard sounding route. Good job Will. And Steve for doing it way back. :clap2: :strongbench:

First rule about Mutation Club is ....

Paul B

• forum hero
#10092 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 04:40:17 pm
I'd like to think if said wads venture to read what UKB has to say on their ascents they'd be either non-plussed, mildly amused, or suitably flattered. I don't see anything here which would be read as a dig or an insult to anyone with the slightest understanding of how the place works.

Indeed, the thread's name sums it up.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10093 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 05:32:18 pm
Good effort to Will. I met him at charity do once, he was surprisingly down to Earth and VERY funny.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#10094 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 05:40:15 pm

I feel an orderly queue won't be forming. If he'd upped it half a grade on the other hand...

How about we give it 9a+/9a+/9b/9b that way it's also guaranteed to be first (and hopefully last) of the grade.

Bradders

• forum hero
#10095 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 05:56:20 pm

We can congratulate him now. Most of the comments seemed to be when everyone knew he had done it but it felt like there was some Big Brother presence out to make sure nobody knew. Now we know...

It is indeed a fine effort of a bloody hard sounding route. Good job Will. And Steve for doing it way back. :clap2: :strongbench:

First rule about Mutation Club is ....

Yeah, it's clearly just been piss taking around the careful stage management of the news, which is tedious bullshit, as opposed to anything actually negative about Will or his ascent (apart from the #greentickwanker thing...  ;))

remus

• forum hero
#10096 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 06:02:42 pm
Little interview up here

remus

• forum hero
#10097 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 06:46:21 pm
Most importantly, he's psyched for brandenburg gate!  :wub:

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#10098 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 07:02:35 pm

Adidas 1
Plumbing 0

It's a crying shame...!!

Really cool this got a repeat. The legend of Ste grows, as if it wasn't big enough already

IanP

• forum abuser
#10099 Re: significant repeats
November 02, 2021, 07:27:16 pm
Little interview up here

Thought that was pretty good, 30 minutes but just listened to it while doing stuff in kitchen.  Will was interesting and thoughtful about the  process and the grade and talked about the conditions and skin etc, as others here have mentioned, and also about how different it is in style to other hard routes.  It seemed that he didn't feel he could justify 9b partly because of these factors together with its position in climbing history, but at the same time he wouldn't be massively surprised if someone else said 9b (assuming we don't have to wait another 20 years   :-\ )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal