UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire boulderers (Read 23672 times)

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Yorkshire boulderers
October 21, 2002, 11:38:30 am
Jons put a new "vote for the Grade" thing on his site, which would appear to be off to a flyer.

check it out at www.yorkshiregrit.com

If you vote, please put a comment as well as it would be good to see whos voting, why, and what for.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Yorkshire boulderers
October 21, 2002, 11:45:05 am
That's wicked - Need something similar for the Peak....now there's an idea  :)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Yorkshire boulderers
October 21, 2002, 11:39:09 pm
A great set up; definitely an idea worth stealing for the North Wales scene.
I haven't got time at the moment to go through it all (because it's such an impressively big selection), but I did notice quite a few grades that jarred with my current feelings about how hard V5 and V6 is.
Surely Dolphin Belly Slap is V5 with all the tricks? and Demon Wall Roof V6? New Jerusalem is kind of ungradeable: V5 if you're tall, but V7 if you're a dwarf.
I'm not trying to play the 'my grades are harder than your grades' game, because I did agree with many of the other assessments I glanced at (First Arete at Ilkley for example), it's just that I think in general we need to be a bit harsher if we want international parity.

Anyway, good effort to the man running the website.

Cheers, Simon.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 07:37:28 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
A great set up; definitely an idea worth stealing for the North Wales scene.

Might do something similar along those lines on here, and just let people add problems from wherever. Start with the Peak obviously, coz we can get piccies easy, but expand it all over....apart from Yorkshire obviously, where all things bouldering are being dealt with in a fine fashion by Mr Pearson already.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#4 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:03:33 am
At one stage I thought of making the yorkshiregrit code publicly available, so that people in other areas could set up their own sites.  With a bit more effort on my part I could set up a system such that no computer knowledge would be required.  Would anyone be interested in this?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:11:11 am
That's very public spirited!  

IMHO it depends how far you go with it. Do you just mean the grade-voting code? I think it's good to release bits of code open source (like this forum is) but I'm not so sure about releasing the whole site, otherwise you end up with many websites where the functionality is entirely the same, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#6 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:32:16 am
Check jons other site out

http://www.peakgrit.com/

dave

#7 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:36:31 am
Ye bastards!
I wanted peakgrit.com!!

I used to have peakgrit.ukclimbing.com till the robbing bastards wanted to charge me for it! I'll have to make do with http://www.geocities.com/peakgrit/index1.html for the time being.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#8 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:42:21 am
Quote from: "FH"
Check jons other site out

http://www.peakgrit.com/

Nice one Jon - i think you should just set it up as a dummy page constantly linking people back to yorkshiregrit in order to show them where the real hard cranking can be found!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:48:57 am
Yeah, but also see this old rt thread

Why not make Jon an offer for it Dave?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:50:00 am
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"
i think you should just set it up as a dummy page constantly linking people back to yorkshiregrit...

it already does  :)

dave

#11 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:59:23 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Yeah, but also see this old rt thread

Yeah, considering at time JP comes across as pro-yorkshire/anti-peak, but he must have liked the peak enough to do 100 routes on stanage/burbage in a day (see old issue of OTE).

Why not make Jon an offer for it Dave?

I'm not that fussed about it really, since i neither have the time, or the means to maintain a proper website at the mo.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 11:04:43 am
Well, I like to think it's all just a bit of friendly rivalry - anyone who likes gritstone knows there's good and bad in both the Peak and Yorkshire.

Maybe he was just down here polishing up our grit on purpose, the swine  :!:

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#13 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 10:14:04 pm
Jesus christ, that OTE article must have been 6 years ago or more!  I'm amazed you remember it... In those days I lived in Bristol, did lots of trad climbing (!), only went to the Peak a few times a year and had no idea that the mecca of British climbing was Yorkshire!

The amazing thing about the 100 routes in a day is that we spent half our time bouldering.  Big Ron was at the Plantation as usual - I think Andy has a picture of me on the Green Traverse wearing a plastic Ron-style moustache, with Ron himself in the background!

As for peakgrit.com - I thought I might visit the Peak enough to make this worthwhile, but it seems I was mistaken.  Once you've failed on everything at the Plantation and been to Burbage, Curbar and Cratcliffe a couple of times there's not much else to do really, is there?  :)

justfunk_

• regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/justfunk_dj/staffscene.html
#14 Yorkshire boulderers
October 23, 2002, 11:58:04 pm
There is shit loads,
 Roaches ,
 Hencloud,
 Ramshaw.
 Newstones
 Baldstones
 Gib tor,
 Five clouds
 Bosley cloud,
 Eagle tor
 Rowtor rocks
 Cratcliffe
 Gardoms . . . . ..  
 I could go on . .

It is a top spot, loads of projects too if you look hard enough. #

dave

#15 Yorkshire boulderers
October 24, 2002, 08:48:43 am
Quote from: "yorkshiregrit"
Jesus christ, that OTE article must have been 6 years ago or more!  I'm amazed you remember it

Even more remarkable since I've only been climbing 4 years. :eek3:

Seems to me to be a common theme when you talk to yorkshire boulderers who say "the peak is shit", and what they actually means is "the plantation is shit", cos they've never been anywhere else! :roll:

AndyR

• forum hero
#16 Yorkshire boulderers
November 07, 2002, 01:41:51 pm
Quote from: "yorkshiregrit"
The amazing thing about the 100 routes in a day is that we spent half our time bouldering.  Big Ron was at the Plantation as usual - I think Andy has a picture of me on the Green Traverse wearing a plastic Ron-style moustache, with Ron himself in the background!

I think the hardest part was the fact that we drove there and back in a day to do it from Brizzle........

Must dig out that photo sometime - shame we didn't have curly wigs on!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal