UKBouldering.com

Illegal use of Houndkirk Right Of Way by Vehicles (Read 200314 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
I saw the remains of a modus vs mondeo head on a couple of years back... mondeo was trashed.. quite something...

Anyway, back on topic - if its been turned into a 'road' would this mean that the more destructive of the off road fraternity will not find it challenging enough and go off looking for something with more blocks/mud/bog? It could be a good thing (suspect I'm clutching at straws...)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Fuck me, you boys should join the PLO.  Well hijacked.....  :chair:   :tease:

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Christ, I can't believe I'm back on this subject again so soon, but here goes........

There are plans afoot to do further work on Houndkirk Rd along similar lines to the resurfacing work and boulders installed at the Ringinglow end.  The next section they're looking at runs up from the bridge - ie, the rough section that is quite steep here:

At the moment, I'm just interested to know what you guys think about this proposal.  The issues are, will it just push 4x4 and MB traffic elsewhere?  Will it be as visually inappropriate as i think it will?  Will it make Houndkirk the new santa pod raceway for 4x4's and motorbike alike?  Is it a feckin' waste of money?  I'm given to understand that it's being done at the behest of horse riders.  How many people have ever seen a horse up there?   :worms:

Dolly

• forum hero
Well I've never seen a horse up there.
I think you're right on both counts John - it will be visually inappropriate and will encourage more 4X4/motorbike traffic

stevej

• menacing presence
Never seen a horse/pushchair/wheelchair up there. Haven't even seen all that many 4x4s out there to be honest, far fewer than the causeway, (although the damage at the now-inaccessible summit is obviously self-evident). What I have seen, post-resurfacing, is kids on motorbikes/mopeds driving up and down on the resurfaced section and a number of off-road bikes properly ragging it, 3 abreast, on the rough section.

This was a few weeks back so I don't know if the word has spread further that Houndkirk is a fun place to tear up and down on your moped / is about to be flattened so make the most of it...

Without banning all vehicles it seems like it's going to be fun for at least one of these groups whatever they do.

Never did get a proper reply from SSC.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
  I'm given to understand that it's being done at the behest of horse riders.  How many people have ever seen a horse up there?   :worms:
I know someone who keeps horses just off Long Line, I'll ask her what her opinion is. I'm guessing horses do go up there quite often, as there's loads of stables around there and over the main road towards Dore. I'd be surprised if the horse riders had asked for it as Mrs Obi who is quite a experienced rider said the type of gravel would be wholly unsuitable and even dangerous for horse hooves. I have been told the first stuff laid wasn't the top surface and haven't been up there recently to examine the finished surface.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Never seen a horse/pushchair/wheelchair up there. Haven't even seen all that many 4x4s out there to be honest, far fewer than the causeway, (although the damage at the now-inaccessible summit is obviously self-evident). What I have seen, post-resurfacing, is kids on motorbikes/mopeds driving up and down on the resurfaced section and a number of off-road bikes properly ragging it, 3 abreast, on the rough section.

This was a few weeks back so I don't know if the word has spread further that Houndkirk is a fun place to tear up and down on your moped / is about to be flattened so make the most of it...

Without banning all vehicles it seems like it's going to be fun for at least one of these groups whatever they do.

Never did get a proper reply from SSC.

...kinda what we said would happen when they first did it.  Which makes it all the more galling that they're thinking of repeating the mistake.....  :wall:

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  I'm given to understand that it's being done at the behest of horse riders.  How many people have ever seen a horse up there?   :worms:
I know someone who keeps horses just off Long Line, I'll ask her what her opinion is. I'm guessing horses do go up there quite often, as there's loads of stables around there and over the main road towards Dore. I'd be surprised if the horse riders had asked for it as Mrs Obi who is quite a experienced rider said the type of gravel would be wholly unsuitable and even dangerous for horse hooves. I have been told the first stuff laid wasn't the top surface and haven't been up there recently to examine the finished surface.

The original loose resurfacing has now been consolidated with dust, creating a perfect surface for speeding vehicles of course!  be interested to hear what Mrs Obi has to say as I'm picking up some bad vibes from the horsey fraternity about, 'speeding mountain bikes', so I'd be interested to know how often MBers don't treat other trail users with respect. 
Is there anyone posting on here who doesn't slow down for Horses and pedestrians??   :shrug:

burned

• player
yeah I dont normally drive faster than second gear offroad... even out on the main roads I will calm down the landrover and try to get past as subtly as possible.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Sorry to dredge up this old thread again, but spotted this 'event'

http://www.glass-uk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1296&Itemid=360

which is on this weekend. Heads up to all those folks who like to ride their bikes or walk their dogs around Lady Cannings Plantation and Houndkirk - you'll probably either not want to bother, or walk very slowly down the middle of the track to hold all the offroaders up. EXTREME - LETS OFFROAD, etc, etc....

Noisy wankers...

Baron

• obsessive maniac
Way to go!

It would helpful if there were lots of 4x4s and trail bikes moving slowly up and down Winnats Pass, filling up the car park at Castleton and driving slowly (because it will be busy) through Castleton, Hope and Bamford to let everyone know that the Peak Park is ours also and that the green lanes are for everyone.

Toys and prams.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
What are those metal spiky things called that you put in the road to puncture tyres? pyramid shaped? Shame not to give them something challenging to do on the day.

tomtom

• forum hero
indeed... I hope someone has informed the local plod and National Park authority about this?

ardeer

• player
What are those metal spiky things called that you put in the road to puncture tyres? pyramid shaped? Shame not to give them something challenging to do on the day.

caltrops!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Thank you! Been bugging me since I asked.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

Durbs

• forum hero
 :popcorn:

Amazing work from xplorer - really helped the last few minutes of Friday at work pass.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal