UKBouldering.com

Illegal use of Houndkirk Right Of Way by Vehicles (Read 200194 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Latest news on the never-ending Houndkirk saga.  There was a site meeting on Friday involving the Peak Park, Natural England, Sheff CC and Friends of the Peak District.  Natural England came armed with a proposal to restore the damaged area of moor to something like its original condition(!).  They're going to fence off the entire area, (and let me tell you, it's a BIG area), and then fill in the holes and bring in heather brashings to encourage regrowth.  All sounds very nice, but there was the usual shenanigans about where the finance was coming from.  Any road up, looks like we might get some action in time for the summer.

Which is all very well, but there's every chance the fuckers will just drive through the fence at the first opportunity.  So when they do start the work keep your eyes peeled.  If you see any damage to the fence, phone the Peak Park on 01629 816200 and ask for the Ranger Service.  Let them know what's happened and they'll be the poor saps who have to sort it out!

Tally ho
jh

dave

word, where is the entrance track where they access the moor?

cofe

• forum hero
think they tend to use the one nr the norfolk arms. (turn left off ringinglow at norfolk arms and it's the one straight ahead nr the outstanding angular hedge.)

dave

someone should lend someone in the houses opposite a laptop and webcam to record the reg plates of any 4x4s entering there. Ok they may take the plates off when they're up there but they must have them on when leaving/entering the road again.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Hi Dave,

problem is, simply driving across Houndkirk is entirely legal.  The problem is catching the arseholes who drive off the road onto the moor, particularly at the summit.  Now, if you can get evidence of that, as I've done, that's a different matter.  The police are keen to hear from anyone who sees a 4x4 or trail bike being used illegally, call 0114 220 2020 and make sure they get back to you.  Tim Cross is the lead guy on this and his a good egg.

cheers
j

dave

saw 3 defenders coming off the moor tonight at the point you park for ox stones. i was too far from the road to clock the plates, but they stopped in the laybay for a few minutes fucking around with the vehicles -  screwing the number plates back on?

if anyone else is passing there friday nights just gone 9pm then keep your eyes open.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Went over lastnight all of the warning signs have been broken, and its obvious that the areas the warned about not using have been driven.

cofe

• forum hero
i doubt it's being policed.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
No I suppose not. I guss its a case of getting plates if you can.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Even if you get number plates, what will happen? Fuck all I suspect.

The only answer is direct action - mines, IEDs, etc would be a good start.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
There are mines that only get triggered by the weight of a vehicle, not people or bikes. Be a good start.

dave

could just do the old banana-in-the-tailpipe trick.

fatkid2000

• junky
Few weeks back I saw some tosser end up with their chelsea tractor on its side - he was really pissed off.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Few weeks back I saw some tosser end up with their chelsea tractor on its side - he was really pissed off.
I would so love to have seen that.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Yeah, I'd noticed the fuckers had been back onto the damaged area.  The police have taken quite an active interest in the recent past, but since Natural England and the Peak Park said they were going to fence the area off, the police activity seems to have dropped off.

So, need to keep the pressure up.  If you see the signs torn down, let the Park know on 01629 816200 - ask for the rangers dept, (I think).  Secondly, if you see any activity up there, regardless of whether you get a number plate, let the police know on 0114 2 20 20 20.

If you get a registration number, contact Tim Cross directly on tim.cross@southyorks.pnn.police.uk.  At the very least he'll send them a warning letter but if they've been seen there before, he may prosecute.

I know, it feels like  :wall: but "all that's necessary for evil men to triumph....."  and all that shit.......

jh

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Went over yesterday, signs back up.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Perhaps they'll get round to putting the feckin' fence up at some point!  Guess it's the usual bunfight between Natural England and SCC over who pays......

jh

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
The simple answer is to build some tank traps from old railway lines, simple and with the right equipment cheap and easy, ok so the tw*ts could try and tow them away but then they'd be guilty of theft etc.

A few of these at the relavent entrance points allowing bikes, horses and walkers through should be just the ticket.

All you need is an oxy acc cutting rig and a welder and bobs you mother's brother.  PS this would also work at Stanage, can yo imagine the cvnts having to reverse all the way back over the roman road? :oops:

Anyway I'd gladly put my hand in my pocket to achieve this outcome.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
All sounds perfectly dandy to me Sloper.  I'd also do the same on Pindale, which I had the misfortune to ride up the other day.......no, I'm fibbing, I pushed my bike nearly all the way.  The "Let's Offroad" twats have reduced the track to limestone aggregate that is almost impossible to walk on let alone cycle.  I fuckin' hate em, land mines are too good for them.......

jh

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/news/2043.html

A slightly better account of what happened. (also pilfered ukc)

cofe

• forum hero
they're just <bad swear word> aren't they. fucking <bad swear word>.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:24:34 pm by cofe, Reason: OTT blue language. »

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
There's a growing campaign against these tossers. Bradwell, Pilsley, and Edale all have groups who are WELL pissed off with the damage being caused to their local byways.  Any help you can give them would be much appreciated.  I'm in touch with them now and I'll let you know if there's anything you can do.

jh

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
what the heck??

just driven past norfolk arms end. it's been tarmaced as far as one can see  :o

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Yeah, this is beginning to piss me off big time :furious: - see new thread....

jh

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal