UKBouldering.com

stone roses on radio 1 (Read 5547 times)

cofe

• forum hero
stone roses on radio 1
December 02, 2008, 11:09:00 am
2hr special on zane lowe last night. documentary type thing from 8pm (skip first hour on listen again) followed by the entire debut album in full. plenty of old school snippets too:

Interviewer: "Do you think you're superior to other people?"

Ian Brown: "Yes."

Legendary.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 02, 2008, 11:14:19 am
I listened to that album a few weeks ago - total class IMO - Brings back some school day memories & it still sounds awesome.

Think its Rage against the Machine tonight, with the Prodigy latter in the week. Great shows By Zane

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 02, 2008, 11:18:48 am
Great shows By Zane

i still don't listen to R1 much but it's a different beast after 7pm. They flick the switch from shit to good.

fatkid2000

• junky
#3 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 02, 2008, 11:59:34 am
Great shows By Zane

i still don't listen to R1 much but it's a different beast after 7pm. They flick the switch from shit to good.

Yeap - its totally weird - accidentally switch it on during the day and its either fat Chris trying to entertain the White van man or Scott Mills being even worse - but come 7pm and its a totally different beast. Makes it worth paying the license fee IMO.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 02, 2008, 05:15:25 pm
Aye, late night R1 can be very good.

Try Rob Da Bank from midnight 'til 4am (he has 2 shows in a row!) on a Sunday night/Monday morning, Mary Anne Hobbs from 2-4 on a Tuesday night/Weds morning and Giles Peterson on Weds/thurs.

You can tell i work nights can't you?

Some of the "In new DJs we trust" shows are pretty good, like Heidi's show where she plays minimal tech/house.

I'm not a huge fan of Asian music per se but Bobby and Nihal's Asian music show (on before Mary Anne Hobbs) always has some amazing tunes on it, well worth a listen.

Then of course there's the Essential Mix from 3am 'til 5 on a Friday night/Sat morning - the latest Flying Lotus mix was amazing.

Anyway, back to the OP. I think it's great that Zane Lowe does these "Masterpiece" album features but he really needs to be a bit less sycophantic and get the band's cocks back out of his mouth. Don't get me wrong I love The Stone Roses but listening to Zane croon on about it makes my skin crawl :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 02, 2008, 05:26:45 pm
Aye, late night R1 can be very good.

Try Rob Da Bank from midnight 'til 4am (he has 2 shows in a row!) on a Sunday night/Monday morning, Mary Anne Hobbs from 2-4 on a Tuesday night/Weds morning and Giles Peterson on Weds/thurs.

You can tell i work nights can't you?

Some of the "In new DJs we trust" shows are pretty good, like Heidi's show where she plays minimal tech/house.

I'm not a huge fan of Asian music per se but Bobby and Nihal's Asian music show (on before Mary Anne Hobbs) always has some amazing tunes on it, well worth a listen.

Then of course there's the Essential Mix from 3am 'til 5 on a Friday night/Sat morning - the latest Flying Lotus mix was amazing.

I rate virtually all of these shows too, particularly Rob Da Bank and the Essential Mixes.

Good thing is though, you don't need to be a night-hawk like Bubba to hear them....

a) Listen Again (only up for a week though, and diminished quality  :thumbsdown: )
b) The Mixing Bowl (up there pretty much forever with excellent quality  :thumbsup:)

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#6 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 03, 2008, 04:12:16 pm
stone roses: wank

ratm: good

floyd: better

prodigy: back to wank again

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 03, 2008, 04:17:40 pm
I love The Stone Roses, but didn't think the programme was that great; too much ass kissing from Zane, and nothing particularly in depth, and nothing I didn't know already.

As much as I used to think Colin Murray was a tool when he used to do a programme with that daft braindead hoor, he does play some different and interesting stuff now.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 03, 2008, 05:39:38 pm

Floyd should be interesting tonight - I might even listen to the album. Only caught the last track of RATM last night but it was awesome so maybe I should have a listen even though it's not really my usual thing.

I disagree with Soapy re the Roses but agree on Prodigy - hardly a masterpiece album, is it?

fatkid2000

• junky
#9 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 05, 2008, 02:21:40 pm

Floyd should be interesting tonight - I might even listen to the album. Only caught the last track of RATM last night but it was awesome so maybe I should have a listen even though it's not really my usual thing.

I disagree with Soapy re the Roses but agree on Prodigy - hardly a masterpiece album, is it?

The Floyd and prodigy progs revealed nothing new - and I agree comparing Dark Side of The Moon with Music for The Jilted Gen is stupid. One clearly is a masterpiece and The Prodigy is probably not. However the Prodigy did bring dance music to the masses and moved it out of warehouses and into the main stream to some extent - they also lead the cross over of the guitar band fans into dance music. So probably not a masterpiece but it should go down as a relatively important piece of music in historical terms - and its not until you listen to it that you realise how much of today's dance music draws heavily from it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 05, 2008, 02:27:32 pm
I'm 34 and I reckon I'm still about fifteen years too young to start liking Floyd. Clarkson's favourite album - nuff said.  :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 05, 2008, 02:30:00 pm
Haven't caught any of these, but which Prodigy album was the focus?

The Experience really is an amazing album, very raw and reflected the free party/rave scene that they were participating in at the time.

Jilted was fairly good, but its the start of their sound being honed and tailored for the masses.

Quote from: The Prodigy - Ruff in the Jungle Bizness
Rrrrrrufffff in da Jungle, ina ina da Jungle

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 05, 2008, 03:56:51 pm
I'm 34 and I reckon I'm still about fifteen years too young to start liking Floyd. Clarkson's favourite album - nuff said. 
Floyd were amazing irrespective of how many old gits love them.

Have a listen to "On The Run" from DSOTM - this is a Techno track and was released at a similar time to early Kraftwerk making it one of the earliest bits of Techno; better than most things Kraftwerk did too imho.

Haven't caught any of these, but which Prodigy album was the focus?
It was Jilted. There's some good stuff on there but it's not the revolutionary album that Zane was trying to make it out to be.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: stone roses on radio 1
December 05, 2008, 04:08:21 pm
I love Pink Floyd, RATM and the Stone Roses, so I'm biased.
I don't listen to R1 any more, so I haven't heard these programs.

Jas- TDSOTM was, and is, a ground-breaking album.  The whole thing is awesome, hasn't dated like later stuff, and flows as one work.  I tend to listen to it in its entirity rather than hearing individual tracks.  It also addresses important issues.  Listen to it a few times, it isn't an old person's album.

Music for the Jilted generation is a great album.  Considering it's from 1994 it still sounds fresh.  the programming is fantastic.  No, it may not be as good as modern stuff, but it still stands up for itself.

Stone Roses- Great album.  lots of cool tracks.  Marred only by the Manc shit and Brown being a dick.

RATM- love it. Simplem, aggressive, but with a message.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal