UKBouldering.com

F-ing amazing drum'n'bass. (Read 136434 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#400 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
December 09, 2020, 12:06:19 pm
Thanks that was a nice chillout mix Andy, I liked the variety.

Anyway.

JUNGLE

I've been getting into modern jungle a lot recently....old skool breakbeat and vibe driven values with modern production and refinement. It's got a lot of appeal especially compared to neuro-funk which is basically the happy hardcore of dnb now. A few labels that are representing....

https://asc77.bandcamp.com/album/isolated-systems
Okay this is not a label but it's a great jungle album on the Samurai Records label I linked a couple of posts up. Proper crisp varied breakbeats and spacey atmospheres, a refined gem.

https://skeletonrecordings.bandcamp.com/music
Good proper middle of the road jungle. A good starting spot. As an added bonus, as I'd bought two compilation albums just before they kicked off a Black Friday 50% discount later the same day, they emailed me and offered me two EP downloads for free :)

https://repertoire.bandcamp.com/music
A little bit deeper and more musical than average, you could find some gentler stuff here.

https://ruptureldn.bandcamp.com/music
Great label of a great sounding London night, good variety.

https://36hertz.bandcamp.com/music
A bit more of a jump-up influence along with some old skool rave, along with some serious amen workouts.

https://www.junodownload.com/labels/117/
A bit quiet recently from Trace's jungle offshoot label, but some great stuff from a few years ago.

https://monochromerecordings.bandcamp.com/music
A Polish label that is slightly fiercer than average but still true to the jungle spirit with some great breaks.

Almost all of these have good compilation series whence you can pick up a ridiculous amount of amen breaks and dubbed out basslines for a bargain price :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#401 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
May 15, 2021, 01:07:06 pm
Some cracking suggestions.  God this was such a creative time wasn't it? 

Sure was. I think my favourite era of D'n'B is still 1996-2000 early techstep. Stuff like No U-Turn and early Hardware through to Dom & Roland and BC....I love how some of the tracks had massive depth and darkness and atmosphere and aggression without being an OTT cacaphony. Shadow Boxing is a prime example, dark but catchy as fuck and still creative to this day.

Edit 1: If I ever learnt to mix, I've already got this track list mapped out to represent that flavour....

Renegade - Terrorist (mixes well into PF? intro?)
Alex Reece - Pulp Fiction ?
J Majik - Your Sound (into metropolis)
Adam F - Metropolis (steppy beat - into ni ten?)
Ed Rush & Nico - Torque (sparse beat, into ni ten)
Photek - Ni Ten Ich Ryu (into shadow boxing - oriental feel)
Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing (into dark soldier, clean dark bass)
Renegade - Dark Soldier (dark bass into mutant?)
Trace - Mutant Revisited (almost the same as sonar!)
Trace - Sonar (dark bass mixes into still)
Boymerang - Still (growly bass mixes into shining)
Optical - The Shining (2 step beat mixes into secrets)
John B - Secrets (2 step beat mixes into edtrafienicol)
Various - Edtrafienical
Ed Rush & Fierce - Locust
Ed Rush - The Raven (lighter bits mix into mute)
Matrix - Mute ? (weird snares into shape the future)
Optical - To Shape The Future (dark vibe into mind weaver)
Source Direct - Mind Weaver (got amen snippets in into f2b)
Souljah - Fade 2 Black (amen)

Well I didn't learn to mix but I did learn how to crudely (or sometimes not so crudely) segue / edit things together in Audacity so here you go....

https://soundcloud.com/fiend-ophobia/96darkness

A semi-mix / segued selection of classic dark drum'n'bass / techstep tracks from the mid-late 1990s, the era between Origin Unknown's Valley Of The Shadows creating the darkside, and until Bad Company's The Nine took it to the next rave level. Especially 96-98-ish when early Ed Rush, Nico, Optical, Doc Scott, Ray Keith, Trace etc were creating a maelstorm of stomping 2-step beats, furious amen breaks, deep reese bass and haunting sci-fi atmospheres. I'm not a DJ and can't mix so I've focused on a track selection of my favourites and hopefully a good blend of styles.

TBH despite the simplicity I'm pretty chuffed with it, even having listened to the tracks / final edit several times I haven't got bored and it still gets my head nodding  :yes:

Tracklist, a lot more than the original plan (spoilers, if you like the era than ignore this for now as there might be fun surprises!)
NSFW  :
>>> Renegade - Terrorist (PA mix)
Alex Reece - Pulp Fiction
DJ SS - Black
Renegade - Terrorist (PA mix)
Adam F - Metropolis
Ed Rush & Nico - Torque
Photek - Ni Ten Ichi Ryu
Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing
Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing (remix)
J Majik - Your Sound (remix)
Dillinja - Armoured D
Ray Keith - Dark Soldier
DJ Trace - Mutant Revisited
DJ Trace - Sonar
DJ SS - Lost In New York
Boymerang - Still
Optical - The Shining
>>> Genoforce - The Germ
Ed Rush / Trace / Fierce / Nico / Optical - Edtrafienical
John B - Secrets
Ed Rush & Fierce - Locust
Ed Rush - The Raven
Matrix - Mute
Optical - To Shape The Future
Optical - To Shape The Future (remix)
Optical - To Shape The Future (amen VIP)
Equinox - Some Kind Of Illusion
Rob & Goldie - The Shadow (Process mix)
Source Direct - Mind Weaver
Embee - Fractured Soul
Souljah - Fade To Black
Cybin - Roller
Dom & Roland - Imagination

Motown

• regular
#402 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
May 15, 2021, 09:54:45 pm
Thanks Fiend. What an era. I was in sixth form and driving/being driven from Torquay to Milton Keynes, Stevenage, Shelton Mallet, Kings Cross etc. in order to gurn like a twat to Chopper being rewound three times a night. Good times. Thanks again.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#403 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
June 21, 2021, 08:53:26 am

Now conveniently presented in Youtube format (remember your adblocker). As well as 30+ great tracks in 1.5 hours, it's also a slideshow of 140 pics of beautiful and varied scenery around the UK. So you can stick that on your main monitor in the background, and still keep wanking furiously over videos on your phone with some god-awful Mitboe-vs-Parkinson mash-up clickbait shite like "INSANE Lattice-approved training for indoor campussing with Magnus and Louis OMG!!!" (ugh I feel queasy even writing that). So there you go. Turn up your sub!!

P.S. cheers Motown :) Big up the rewind massive. If I'd worked out how to botch a pseudo-rewind in Audacity I might have stuck one in  :D

P.P.S. I've mostly been listening to Perc and Merzbow recently (not in collaboration alas) so I'm a bit out of touch with the latest DnB, except for this really nice track from two legends:

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#404 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
June 21, 2021, 01:12:25 pm

Now conveniently presented in Youtube format (remember your adblocker). As well as 30+ great tracks in 1.5 hours, it's also a slideshow of 140 pics of beautiful and varied scenery around the UK. So you can stick that on your main monitor in the background, and still keep wanking furiously over videos on your phone with some god-awful Mitboe-vs-Parkinson mash-up clickbait shite like "INSANE Lattice-approved training for indoor campussing with Magnus and Louis OMG!!!" (ugh I feel queasy even writing that). So there you go. Turn up your sub!!

I'm about half way in Fiend and this is bringing back some strong late nineties memories, good choonz!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#405 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
June 21, 2021, 10:16:31 pm
Cheers man!

I've remembered that whilst I didn't do a rewind, I did have the cunning plan of segueing the "glitched record" bits of Shadow Boxing remix and Your Sound remix together, which is pretty close  ;D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#406 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
July 20, 2021, 01:58:16 pm
just discovered the video to this, the track is already a modern classic and, well, the video is too.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#407 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
July 26, 2021, 06:29:15 pm
Okay then....

If you like your jungle packed full of stuff, treat your ears to this. A cutting edge soundscape with ebbs and flows of abstract beats and crashing breaks sandwiched between flowing bass and cinematic chords and melodies.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#408 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
July 26, 2021, 10:42:46 pm
Ooh a bit of a low-key banger that. Very futuristic.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#409 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
July 27, 2021, 09:07:54 am
 ;D glad you like it. The banging bits do creep up on you eh. Quite liking how jungle can still be made to feel fresh after 28 years. Had to do a rewind on this in the car yesterday evening.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#410 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
July 28, 2021, 11:36:42 pm
Oh gosh... hold tight all UKB massive insidetheride, you are now intuned to the sounds of the DEEJay *airhorn* Mike Cheque...

So I've mentioned getting my old mixes off MiniDisc a number of times on this thread. A few years ago I got a really good working MD deck with a digital output and finally got round to transferred every MiniDisc I have to my computer during the first lockdown last spring.

What I'd forgotten about the DnB ones was that whenever I recorded a really good mix I gave it away to people I wanted to impress and as I had no way to duplicate MDs it was gone forever. As a result, all those I still have (and had assumed were amazing for years) are either from when I was first learning to mix or ones I recorded at clubs or parties when I was off my head and people (myself included) were knocking drinks and ashtrays all over the decks, into my record bags, etc. so at best they're the mixtape equivalent of the proverbial curate's egg. :lol:

I did find one decent one which I believe is also the last DnB mix I ever recorded and I've just put onto Soundcloud here. Done live from genuine vinyl almost exactly sixteen :blink: years ago. There's one proper clang that I'll let you find for yourself plus an almost complete tracklist so make sure you have a look at that as it's absolutely boggled my brain compiling it over the last 24 hours. If anyone can name the tune that drops at 42:30 than I'll be very grateful!

I hope some of you enjoy it and the transition into the last track makes you as emotional as it does me.  :'(

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#411 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
July 29, 2021, 08:51:15 am
Will be 'pon that  :punk: :dance1:

42:30 sounds like a remix of something on V or Full Cycle. :-\

Edit: Roni Size - On Point  :smartass:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:17:42 am by Fiend »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#412 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
August 01, 2021, 07:17:23 pm
Oi cheque wake up, you got an Id for 32:30, but probably didn't notice cos it was hidden in a post edit.... :ras:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#413 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
August 01, 2021, 10:42:23 pm
Nice one Fiend, appreciate it man. Chugging through all my Full Cycle records on the back of a day of going through many many others didn’t appeal!

Wellsy

• forum hero
#414 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
September 15, 2021, 08:29:30 am
This came up on an old playlist this morning and I thought it might be appreciated.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#415 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
October 20, 2021, 10:57:38 am
Gah, I'd meant to reply to that and forgot. Yes indeed a classic of the genre indeed. I actually really like the flip too as a contrast, very quirky and creative and interesting.

Back on the nu-jungle tip, Samurai have dropped their 3rd Outliers compilation of deep, dark, and deadly junglistic halftime-tinged abstract DnB and as usual there's some serious pressure on there with Last Life, Hoji and Torn being on fire:

https://samuraimusic.bandcamp.com/album/outliers-3

But for me it's slightly overshadowed by this really nice EP from Effra on Trace's 117 label, some lovely dark vibes in this, so deep you're gonna need scuba gear:

https://117audio.bandcamp.com/album/london-rain-ep

Do your ears a favour and cheque it out.

Motown

• regular
#416 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
October 23, 2021, 07:48:40 pm

Great.

Great excuse to revisit this.

:icon_beerchug:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#417 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
October 31, 2021, 08:35:59 pm
Tech Itch is still doing great stuff, especially his mixes on Bandcamp, worth every penny.

Anyway this is strictly for CHEQUE*

* well and anyone who likes an upbeat rrrrrudebwoy roller  :dance1:

dunnyg

• forum hero
#418 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
October 31, 2021, 08:48:16 pm
Turns out I like an upbeat rrrrrudebwoy roller  :dance1:

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#419 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
November 01, 2021, 11:10:47 am
Turns out I like an upbeat rrrrrudebwoy roller  :dance1:

Seconded. Truly only a scratch that Tech can Itch. Used to have a load of his stuff on vinyl a million years ago when I had time to mix and disposable income to fritter on the "black crack" that a vinyl addiction brings. Owe quite a lot of my sketchy hearing to this genre of hard drum and bass (and the rest to the music of fiend's other thread - noisy guitar shizzle.   :punk:.)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#420 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
November 05, 2021, 09:40:49 pm
Okay time for sometthing a bit different that anyone who is electronic music tolerant should give a go, whether or not they like dnb at all...

This is an absolute beauty of melodic melancholic epic drum and bass. I posted it on Facebook and got precisely 3 (three) responses and one of those was a sympathy like from Ms Fiend. So let's try here instead:

Incidentally this is part of a (now finished) Elementz Of Noize comeback, they (now him) were big in the techstep scene back in the day (tracks like Tornado, Neon, Mars Needs Women etc etc) and favourites of John Peel. He released a lot of fresh dnb after a long hiatus, the soothing Infinite Leap was one end of the spectrum, but he still did some totally off-piste chaos like this too:

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#421 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
November 05, 2021, 11:18:37 pm
I always thought that this was by elementz of noise?

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#422 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
November 06, 2021, 12:52:10 pm
Ed Rush. Kilimanjaro. Dark, deep and heavy vibes.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#423 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
December 05, 2021, 10:26:22 am
That man Deathmachine doing off-the-wall robot-plasma-warfare neurofunk wobble dnb as good as any Current Value / Noisia:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#424 Re: F-ing amazing drum'n'bass.
March 12, 2022, 06:22:27 pm
Ignore this one at your peril you slackers: This is fucking MASSIVE. If you have any interest in drum'n'bass this is the best deal you will ever see: 136 (one hundred and thirty six) tracks for £12, from the mellowest of liquid rollers, the most euphoric vocal tunes, to the grizzliest minimal steppers and the hardest breakage. Calibre to Current Value, London Electricity to Limewax, Seba to Special Request. Even if you only like 1/5th of the tracks, that's still better value than any other compilation around....

OH, and it's all for charity supporting Ukraine.

https://togetherwithukraine.bandcamp.com/album/together-with-ukraine

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal