UKBouldering.com

Roots manuva still amazes me! Is there any other good brit hop lyricists? (Read 3124 times)

kev.

Over the last few years Manuva's tunes still continue to grow on me, and im yet to hear any other quality uk lyricists.  British producers are creating such amazing music throughout all electronic genres here, whilst Roots Manuva cracked the quality, originality and credability i was wondering if anyone knows of anything in the same direction from mcs here?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Over the last few years Manuva's tunes still continue to grow on me, and im yet to hear any other quality uk lyricists.  British producers are creating such amazing music throughout all electronic genres here, whilst Roots Manuva cracked the quality, originality and credability

:agree:

I'm no expert on hip hop but I really like his stuff. Sound bloke too.

Rice Boy

• stalker
His new album Slime and Reason is a return to great form, wasn't that impressed by Colossal Insight.  Features Lotec Hi Fi, another decent artist on Big Dada.

Recently saw Ty at a hip hop workshop in Manchester, small crowd, intimate.  He's from the same school as Roots Manuva but a bit more soulful.  His lastest album Closer is good but a whole different style to Roots.

Other good British hip hop.

Jehst
Braintax
Skinnyman (angry man)
Taskforce (rowdy)

Other that come to mind (not so great)

Broken English (who play at EVERY hip hop night in Manchester)
The guys from Tudno FM.

Rice Boy

• stalker
Not British but similar artists are:

Cannibal Ox
Aesop Rock

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
Asaviour, Double Edge, Chester P, Life, Si Phili, PHI Life Cypher, Stig Of The Dump and foreign beggars all good uk hip hop. Underground hip hop this side and on t'other side of the pond is where its at. Look at Sage Francis, Atmosphere, brother Ali, Murs, Immortal Technique, Cage from the states all lyrically very good.

kev.

aesop rock n sage francis definately form part of the cream of the american stuff for me, definately gonna get onto checking out some names there i havent heard of.  I worked alot of nights where broken english played, heard some poor stuff from them but you dont really get a good feel of an act when your working in a club.  As for the american stuff theres so much quality amongst the leftfield stuff, i did listen to alot of stuff on the anticon label for a while but some of it is kinda too arty. Anyone into Dose one?

PATRuL

• menacing presence
Ilike Chali-2na's album Fish-Market(Retail) and all stuff by RZA
Agreed Roots is awesome, believe we had the same Sensei (George) down at the Elephant n Castle
 :devangel:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal