UKBouldering.com

Freezing fog ? Good or bad conditions. (Read 6560 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Freezing fog ? Good or bad conditions.
November 28, 2008, 03:36:23 pm
Forecast looks to be foggy but 1 deg for eastern egdes. I can't work out whether this will be awful or the conditions of eternal justice*

(*copyright Vertebrate Grahics)

dave

depends if its good fog or bad fog. good fog you can get from a blood transfusion, bad fog you get from bumming.

cofe

• forum hero

we're trying to copyright pretty much everything these days.*

* Copyright Vertebrate Graphics 2008.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
We had a spell of this last year which was amazing, around chrimbo there was nearly a whole week of the edges fogbound and sub-zero. Whilst metcheck merrily showed scorchio...

The problem is build up of frost on the rock - this is worse if there is any wind (rime ice builds on upwind side) though this looks unlikely, and also if the temps cycle above freezing during the day, which melts the frost and then the water spreads across the rock. The colder the better, if the moisture in the air is frozen and the rock is also sub-zero its essentially zero humidity. Extremely sticky rock may be about, it might not be just where you want it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
My experience of freezing fog is if it is wet, go a little higher. If that's still wet, go higher still.

cofe

• forum hero
i can think of a few people who get really high when it's wet.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
freezing fog is often associated with stable high pressure, which is often associated with inversions, so going up ain't always the answer. Especially in the peak, where all the good crags are on high ground anyway...

abarro81

• forum hero
Last year - I don't remember fog, just frost... Indeed, stuff that was dry was sticky as hell. I must admit, I never understood  "F7a in anything other than freezing fog" for heath robinson on the gritlist, as this made it sound like freezing fog would mean mint conditions, which would go against my intuition..

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
depends if its good fog or bad fog. good fog you can get from a blood transfusion, bad fog you get from bumming.
^^^ This.

I remember the period JB is on about. Was good in the right places i.e. places you didn't have top out i.e. west side story hem hem

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Earl Crag was amazing last year in the freezing fog (the freeg? the frizzle?). Weather looked woeful the whole journey up, but then we ran around doing pretty much everything we tried within a few goes. Felt like cheating. Best conditions I've ever experienced on grit. Fogpointing is the way...

n_man

• obsessive maniac
Ru will have to add that one to his list.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Word has it that the moors are glorious despite Sheffopolis being in the fog. Word.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
As can be seen here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html

Looking straight up from Hangingwater the fog is distinctly blue. Its no longer freezing though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Wet wet wet here.

Clinging freezy fog.  Load of arse.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Spoke to a friend at Burbage a few minutes ago - he said that the moors are above the fogline but the ground is a bog.

dave

roaches out of the fog today, amazing inversion as far as the eye could see. great routing conditions but astually fucking boiling for bouldering!

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
Reckon it will be terrible conditions tomorrow at the roaches tomorrow too?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
It was decent at RAC and in parts of the pass today, although it started to feel like it was condensing late on about an hour before sundown. Hoping to get out to some exposed yorks grit tomorrow... was thinking of checking out Crookrise but am unsure of what condition it will be in as I have never been before!

andy_e

• forum hero

we're trying to copyright pretty much everything these days.

I'm breakin' the law...

uptown

• junky
Hoping to get out to some exposed yorks grit tomorrow... was thinking of checking out Crookrise but am unsure of what condition it will be in as I have never been before!

Wrap up warm and prepare to crush...
Actually it could be pretty hot up there, but don't let that put you off.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I was doing routes in a T-Shirt at Stanage Saturday afternoon until it got dusk and very cold.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Crookrise was amazing although it almost got too warm to be honest! I would love to get some knowledge beta though - I was trying some dyno from a low break to a distant lip on Craven buttress - I think it is problem 21 in the old guide described as 'hard'. Wanted to know if anyone has done this, it was good fun but I couldn't quite hold the swing and started to get a headache from landing backwards a few times. Thought it felt about 7b/+ but am expecting someone to say about 6c! I checked on Yorks Grit but nothing on there  :-\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:56:57 pm by Richie Crouch »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal