UKBouldering.com

Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart (Read 14367 times)

PATRuL

• menacing presence
Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 22, 2008, 11:00:08 pm
Finally Sheffield has recieved a grand spankin'
It was a good old dust up, shaking the fiber at the heart of the British scene, dusting off one or two egos.
One wonders why?
How could this be possible?
What spice do these lads from the land of the setting sun possess?
I'm sensing its a prana thing, right from the food Brits eat (currant buns i hear) to what they read and believe (The Sun).
Feel your awe, the gentle rattling of your cage (mind) when these dudes, brush by you - they bring the cool breeze of the wilderness, real unfestered Nature.
Grounded beings, walking, feeling feet deeply into Earth, hips swinging and loose, much freer in mind, body and spirit.
More thinking ensues, grandiose cliques tremble and twitter away, but what's to loose?
Energetic daggers pierce the fibers of our being, from round every corner; whispering can be heard as we sharpen our psychic artillery.
'Look who's at the wall tonight' this is how it goes, 'I heard ...' and thus the diminishment begins, because we are not at peace and our shadowy accumulents can no longer be kept in or released in a more positive manner.
'Oh, my gosh' goes the projection, 'its X, he's so much better than me, must train harder, faster' and thus spiralling out of control in your thoughts, which have a direct effect on your climbing, your obsession, you life - one diminishes one's Self in that very moment.
Which is not to say thinking can not swing the other way, thus thinking 'I know A,B and C' and climb V...hard, I have made it to the top and must be great - are not we all?
Whose the judge in all of this?
The media?
We are of course, each and every one of us - what non-sense do you buy into?
Sheffield is stuck with its energy, dark, cloudy, rainy, people may find an invigorating walk in nature just the thing.
Clearly this is no demographic study, just anthropological observations.
Some maybe angry at my yanking you around, but fear not, these sensations are the very things you need to get to know in order to keep a cool mind, when stuck out on a limb.

May I take this opportunity to apologise to any fellow punters whom may have been affended from previous ramblings (and quite possibly this one)...
                ... and also take this opportunity, whilst in the so called spot light, to say to any one who was effended to LIGHTEN UP.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:13:54 am by Bubba, Reason: caps in title... »

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#1 Re: SHEFFIELD SCENE YANKED APART
November 22, 2008, 11:07:38 pm
For what its worth I did an wonderful problem at the wall the other night, i really enjoyed.
well done everyone who went climbing today, or polished their shoes or went to work, jolly good show.
Make mine a pain au raisin.
Thank you.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#2 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 23, 2008, 08:14:04 pm
Heart of the British scene?  I thought that was in Wales somwhere.  PATRul - are you American by any chance?  Just so you know, Wales is not in London, and Britain is a very different concept to England. Cock.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 23, 2008, 10:08:13 pm
What is this wiffle?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 23, 2008, 10:18:09 pm
Whilst these guys are doing some cool routes in good style, and quickly, I'm not sure standards havve been "ripped apart".

Are we seriously saying that E8/E9s have never been done quickly (1 or 2 sessions).  Yeah, Parthian GU or Gaia flash are awesome and a superb improvement, but people have done hard grit routes in quick time before now.  Even Dawes did stuff fast as first ascents in pretty good stylee.

It's great to see people interested in these routes.  But I'd love to see these guys on new wave hard grit stuff like Fagus Sylvatica or Equilibrium or Superstition.

Hats off to these guys, but the scene ain't ripped.  More crumpled a bit at the corner.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 23, 2008, 10:26:00 pm
"Yanked apart" GCW, see what he did there?   :)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 23, 2008, 10:31:27 pm
Yep, but I chose to ignore that terrible pun.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#7 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 11:32:57 am
on a weird note - didn't houdini reply to this thread (something about spell check) and someone else - then those repleies disappear - or am i hallucinating (again)?

tc

• junky
#8 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 01:14:59 pm
Heart of the British scene?  I thought that was in Wales somwhere. 
How many fucking times do I have to tell you? The heart of the British scene is The Breck.

BenF

• forum hero
#9 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 02:31:17 pm
The heart of the British scene is The Breck.

I that is so, then it is need of a pacemaker or maybe even a transplant.     ;)

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#10 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 02:45:15 pm
on a weird note - didn't houdini reply to this thread (something about spell check) and someone else - then those repleies disappear - or am i hallucinating (again)?

Yeah I read those replies too. Someone asked the OP if they were American too.

Kingy

• forum hero
#11 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 02:49:25 pm

Yeah I read those replies too. Someone asked the OP if they were American too.

Yes something fishy is going on... Houdini said summert about Sheffield not being the centre of the universe, when it quite clearly is.  ;) Them replies seem to have gone...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 02:51:40 pm
No, I deleted his post as - picking on people's spelling isn't big or clever.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 05:37:51 pm
I merely pointed out the existence of the spellcheck function.  It's free, it works.  Some posts are real hard to read, Hastons' and PATruLs' in particular.  No-one is being picked on.  I use the spellcheck myself.  I like PATrul's posts.

Houdini said summert about Sheffield not being the centre of the universe.

I said nothing of the sort, sunbeam, you are confusing this thread w/ the karma stats page. 

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 06:05:23 pm
Howdee fellow rock addicts (i'm in recovery maself)
I was pondering over c.j.d's use of the word cock, ain't that shortish language for cock-a-leekie, which i believe is some kind of pie.
Could some kind of earth being confirm or unfirm this?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#15 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 06:20:06 pm
Cock a Leekie is, as I understand it soup.

I think CJD was suggested that you're a choad (sp?).

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 06:22:50 pm
A soap my how sweet

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 24, 2008, 06:38:33 pm
Oh, a choad not a soap, sorry i was reading nd8lp3 (upside) down.
However, this choad word is new for my vocabulary and i've looked it up, apparently it's noun and has various meanings all around the same theme, here are some ..

choad (plural choads)
(vulgar, slang) A penis.
1970±, S. Clay Wilson, as quoted by Blair Haworth, “Meaning of Choad? (and a Peter Jackson question)” (1993 August 11), alt.tasteless, Usenet
Your choad veins are pulsing love songs

1986, Robert Crumb, Zap Comix, volume 3, unpaged
What a find...a giant choad!

1993 December 14, Steven Snedker, “Wanking 101 [long]”, alt.sex.masturbation, Usenet, as quoted by Richard J. McCunney (December 26)
We all wank, sonny wiggles his willy, daddy plays with the meat in an orderly and rational way, and granddad's choad also delivers on a regular basis.
(vulgar, derogatory, slang) A loser or undesirable person; an insulting name.

1985 February 28, Kevin Carosso, “VMS terminal I/O question”, fa-info.vax, Usenet via info-vax
If you aren't the type of system manager that likes to be nice to the choad that forgot to log out, then the program has it's [sic.] other uses

1992 October 12, “x3460afe” from maple.circa.ufl.edu, “sonic fags”, alt.music.alternative, Usenet
sebadoh blew sonic youth off the stage, you stupid choad

1997, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, “Pinkeye”, South Park, episode 107
Stan: Oh man, I feel like a total choad.
Cartman: Aw, come on Stan. Maybe that's just because you look like a total choad.

I will continue my research ...

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#18 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 06:20:12 am
Wouldn't waste your time youth .... You got it right on your first  attempt  :lol:

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#19 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 04:56:59 pm
Well i'm done with apologies.
Clearly there are too many precious social climbers out there pandering to others feelings and not really having the cahones for expressing their real opinion that lies deeper than reaction, let alone staking their precious training on a route - heaven forbid one might fall off!
What's there to loose?
Sponsorship - doesn't matter.
Friends - not really your friend if they can't listen.
Finger skin - will grow back.
Balls - it would take more than an opinion to lose 'em.
What's really the issue here, a few bumps and scrapes of the ego or a broken leg for the sake of your art?
Most of us are still stuck at the school, bitching in the playground and pulling hair ... ooooh, Patrul's so bad he said something i didn't like, he must be a willy.
I'm beginning to realise my precious time and creative opinion is wasted here , when fellow players can at best mearly hurl mud.
I understand your frustation to some degree and practice not taking it personally...one must really listen to read the silence between the lines.
I believe the reason so many so called strong climbers are frustrated beef cakes is because they can't cover themselves in mustard when it comes to stepping up to the plate!
ONe has to ask what is it the real top climbers have, when there are many other equally strong climbers out there?
I see the top boys, and those expressing the best of their potential or just trying beyond your comfort zone, as having gone some way to gettin over them-selves.
The bottom line is that results don't matter, its the process A-B and especially the - bit!
Clearer now, or am IIIIIIIIIII, me?, Patrul, making you more worked up, or is it really your mind doing it for you?
See, control the mind and the rest follows.
As some chap once said, "throw your mind up the route and you body will follow"
Quite where to find mind is another matter, but i believe peace helps with location.

TipToP
EXPanD TrAInInG To everYday EveNts

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 05:24:30 pm
am i missing something? what the fuck? :shrug:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#21 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 05:25:26 pm
Me too.  Can anyone translate Septic?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#22 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 05:30:34 pm
Nay, patrul ain't no septic. He is originally from not too far away from my roots although I think he was kidnapped by aliens  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#23 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 05:33:37 pm
I reckon it's Idol Eyes' demented alter ego.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#24 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 06:08:55 pm
Don't be silly Chris.

PATruL is literate.

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#25 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 06:29:02 pm
Bonjour Mr GA
Divnt bust us man
 :beer2:
One knows no thing and especially nothing about aliens, but there's alot of queer folk about these parts, mostly there masquerading in uniforms, i believe there called suits.

Paz

• junky
#26 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 11:54:15 pm
I'm sensing its a prana thing,

Nice work, just do us all a favour and lay of the fucking Caps lock and shift keys a tad.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#27 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 25, 2008, 11:56:10 pm
I've sometimes wondered whether PATRul is a Psychic TV fan. Mixing CAps and LoWER Case was a Genesis P Orridge thing..

philo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 10:46:20 am
Nay, patrul ain't no septic. He is originally from not too far away from my roots although I think he was kidnapped by aliens  ;)

your roots being the land of the invading irish?

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#29 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 05:08:32 pm
SouL froM the eArtH
SpiRIT frOm the SkY
Pretty much the same as the rest of Us
OH, and BodY from AdaMs rib, or was that WOMen?
WhiCh with a wee bit of detectivE nous you may be aBle to deducE, I this BeinG typIng this, iS of an X and Y chRomosonE (a man if i rememberrrr me BioL).
AnYway, whatever.
 I translat the little above BiBliobous bit like this -
                                                                                           Adams rib being the earth from which we all grow (is it posible to stop growth, when stagnation sets iN?), itS juSt that the cuRRent MythOlogical SpIn puts mEn on top of Women.  Which is a bbit boring and labotomous if you ask me. 
What do you fancy tonight love?
Usual please my Lord.
OOOooo missionary., missionary, HarDer, FasTEr
EnglanDs Green and pleasant lAnD
SplaT

As for the insiduous and seemiingly indiscriminate use of CAPITALS, i like, gives more of an artistic flavour.
Plus i consider it an aid, if  read with more consideration, one may begin a water distillery ... but thats all together another topic.

IrelAnd??  What thinking?

As Graeme said Am a SandDancer.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#30 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 07:19:54 pm
this hurts my eyes, i simply can't read it!

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#31 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 07:27:05 pm
this hurts my eyes, i simply can't read it!
Hurts my head ...

philo

• forum hero
#32 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 08:28:41 pm

As Graeme said Am a SandDancer.

south sheilds, i might have known with that bad spelling!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#33 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 08:32:07 pm
south sheilds, i might have known with that bad spelling!

Mine's a pint.  :alky:  Harrr!  Sorry

SouL froM the eArtH
SpiRIT frOm the SkY
Pretty much the same as the rest of Us
OH, and BodY from AdaMs rib, or was that WOMen?
WhiCh with a wee bit of detectivE nous you may be aBle to deducE, I this BeinG typIng this, iS of an X and Y chRomosonE (a man if i rememberrrr me BioL).
AnYway, whatever.
 I translat the little above BiBliobous bit like this -

Ah *rubs mandible* this appears to be an extinct dialect somewhere between Downtown/street Abynnissian and Highland Etruscan . . .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:38:40 pm by Houdini, Reason: spelnigl swete sejus »

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#34 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 26, 2008, 11:20:36 pm
I'll have one too if one does not mind
 :alky:
As for making sense, Meatballs, therein lies another clue.
By tuning out beyond the sense of physical mind (ie. four wheels, driving wheel (=five wheels?one may think? oh, no its a ... whatever in a space sounded by space with a whole load of other stuff filling it) it must be a car), try sensing out side the delusion of the 'KnoWn' (that which we all agree upon, which looking at the state of this EarTh one may justifiably believe otherwise, so we can make sense).
One doesnea think one self up a climb so it can make sense, no?
One most likely will feel how it feels and shapes form to best utilize the combination of two blank canvases (the body and the rock face).
THinking will of course come into the process but its not thinking about it that gets one moving, or two moving .... but that may well be the initial impetus ... a thought.
Wasn't all this a thought?
A crack in the yolk of union?
Once upon a time ...... there was many senses.
ONly prevelance of reductionist thought rendered the world grey.
This, this life, is meant to be a rainbow, not some devestating assault on OUR beings.
I find the more I am kinder to one's being the more easy i become.
Is it possible to get beyond the veneer of normality and share a little deeper?
Come on try some CapiTAl beHaviouR we might leaRn something MoRE.
What else is there to know beyond big stars and little fairs?

BaNg les drum!!!

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#35 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 27, 2008, 10:29:06 pm
Dont mind if i join yOu for a  :beer2: dO you? MAybe then your post may make sense to me (am i alone??)

kev.

#36 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 30, 2008, 10:46:02 am
its really unfair i cant punter you, just because i don't blurt out my stupidity often enough on here! anyway the sentiment was there  :spank:
Pretentious just doesn't do you justice mate

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#37 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 30, 2008, 10:53:07 am
its really unfair i cant punter you, just because i don't blurt out my stupidity often enough on here! anyway the sentiment was there  :spank:
Pretentious just doesn't do you justice mate

Moi?

kev.

#38 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 30, 2008, 11:31:52 am
not you meatball, i suppose i didn't make clear who i was directing my post at, I just woke up to read the usual UKB ramblings chat and banter but stumbled on the original post which brought out my morning grumpiness.  To be honest my point was that its not big or clever trying to be wordy on a forum, its essentially a chatty thing, so showing off your english literature skills, however poor, wont endear you to most people.

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#39 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 30, 2008, 11:40:29 am
Fair enough mate, had my morning head on too. 38 more rambles and you can wad/punter to your hearts content. Waffle on my son!!!

Stoat

• regular
  • Would you like to come back and look at my cock?
#40 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 30, 2008, 09:56:58 pm
I have only ever met one Sand Dancer climber and that was at some bouldering crag in Frankenjura in 1993. He was living in Germany but was a bit of a mystery as none of us had ever seen him in The County before. I remember the day because I twatted a shoulder on a problem he showed me and spent the rest of the trip belaying. On a positive note I was able to get into Ian Banks as I had fuck all (apart from belaying) else to do.

Is this him?

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#41 Re: Sheffield Scene Yanked Apart
November 30, 2008, 10:58:15 pm
Just out of interest have these superhuman Americans been to the lakes yet?

When i read the OP the theme tune from 'the crystal maze' popped in my head!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal