technical > music production

[ableton] Creating a mix in Ableton Live

<< < (2/3) > >>

Houdini:
Most of the improvements w/ ableton so far have been in production-mode.  Soon, the firm will catch up and start realizing DJ recommendations:  eg, allowing the warp markers to be labelled (start kicks, pads, etc..).

As a live tool, ableton gives you the most bang for your buck.  I've heard it said that Logic offers more for production, but it's much harder to get aquainted w/.

As a total package, ableton kicks ass.  Especially if it's a cracked copy.  8)   :spank:

andy_e:
labelled warp markers? how about just knowing the tune instead?  :P

Houdini:
Well, that's all well and good, in theory.

In a club situation (w/ pressure to perform and - one would imagine - the presence of alcohol et al) I could imagine scenarios when a marker might be useful, especially if you were trying something particularly convoluted or one wanted to showcase new and unfamiliar material.  Surgeon, for example, may have up to 7 or 8 channels at any one time playing; and you can be certain he'll have 1000+ tracks to choose from at any one time on his HD.

Bubba:

I can see it being useful for some forms of music.

Tried mixing some Techno on the fly just now and AL (i'm fed up with typing ableton) still gets it wrong a lot. It always gets it close, but by no means always right. Is there some way of "nudging" a track on the fly? That would help a lot.

I'm starting to really like AL but I think you have to just accept that any track you want to use will have to have been already been "markered up"...but that's ok, it's only like having to clean vinyl or something.

Need to try Traktor/Torq and see how they compare for live mixing.

andy_e:
I've got loads and loads of tracks that I'll play on a regular basis- probably 200+ - and I always know when they drop/reach 16/32/64 bars etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version