UKBouldering.com

Weather signs for bouldering? (Read 5861 times)

Breaded_Gecko

• regular
Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 02:17:42 pm
What sort of things do you look out for in terms of weather for bouldering?

Do you rely on internet weather forecast? Plan is to call a shop in the vincinity, and ask them to look out the ground for me...

Just planning my first trip out bouldering, and thinking about Burbage South on Friday (7/11). I'll be using public transport with a soon-to-be-purchased mat, so don't want to be trudging down there only to have to turn back.

Here's a weather forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=4;type=free;ct=13754~Hathersage;sess=#forecast

Would you get on up there?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 02:34:26 pm
Generally I go by the forecast, crag knowledge, gut feeling and sheer enthusiasm.  Most of the time it works.  My general principle is "Fuck it, give it a go".

Try it, what have you got to lose?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 02:43:37 pm
For that particular area you could do worse than using the web-cam and forecast at Outside in Hathersage.

Where are you coming from?  If Sheffield or Manchester based then looking out the window is a pretty good gauge combined with the news on the TV/any 24 hour forecast.  Worth paying attention to the isobars and fronts and the directions in which they are moving.

The Met Office is pretty good too (most others sites will simply be rehashing that).

Always worth just giving it a go as GCW says.  Despite ghastly weather reports of flooding and heavy rain mid-week last week I've just had an amazing weekends climbing down in Cornwall.

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#3 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 02:44:56 pm
Don't trust any weather forecasts till at least the day before.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 02:53:54 pm
I look for dry weather, generally.

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#5 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 03:37:50 pm
What sort of things do you look out for in terms of weather for bouldering?

When it's:

a) too warm for winter climbing
b) too cold for mountain rock routes

then it's boulder weather  ;D

On the whole, a paucity of precipitation is also preferable  ;)

granticus

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 05:12:47 pm
Welcome aboard 220... We're due a Font trip with the good old crew soon, no?

On the whole, a paucity of precipitation is also preferable

Ideally:

In warmer months accompanied by a nice strong breeze, to keep things cool and the midgies at bay.

In cooler months accompanied by a lighter breeze, so you don't get wind chilled to death.

Like GCW says get out there and give it whirl you might luck out on what looks like a bad day or worse get skunked on a day that looks good.
Sometimes you get 'weather windows' eg. On occasion it can be dry in the South Peak (Black Rocks, Cratcliffe area) and soaking up round Hathersage (Stanage, Burbage area). Or here in Devon wet on Moor dry on Coast or vice versa.

Breaded_Gecko

• regular
#7 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 10:50:39 pm
thanks for the tips all... I'm getting out there Friday, with Monday as a back up... Pod pad ordered!...with red 'L' plate attached! wahey!

On occasion it can be dry in the South Peak (Black Rocks, Cratcliffe area) and soaking up round Hathersage (Stanage, Burbage area). Or here in Devon wet on Moor dry on Coast or vice versa.

would you recommend cratcliffe or black rocks to a noob? or am i gonna be out of my depth?

I look for dry weather, generally.

I guess I asked for that one, cheeky chops.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 04, 2008, 10:59:04 pm
Cratcliffe has some good easier problems, a nice circuit.
I probably wouldn't nother with Black Rocks, to be honest.

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#9 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 01:27:18 pm
Welcome aboard 220... We're due a Font trip with the good old crew soon, no?

Hi G :)

Was up in Mull a few weeks back, think I've found the new Font  ;)

http://stonecountry.blogspot.com/2008/05/wake-up-and-have-your-corncrakes-mull.html and http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Loch_Buie

Fantastic venues both, but the exploratory nature of Fionnphort was pretty amazing. Heading back for a week in May, before the midges arrive......

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:32:21 pm by 220bpm »

granticus

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 02:29:25 pm
would you recommend cratcliffe or black rocks to a noob? or am i gonna be out of my depth

Going slighty  :off: from the original idea but moving around to where the weather is good, would suggest these places in different parts of the peak for a newby on the grit.
Cratcliffe and Robin Hood's Stride.
Burbage South Boulders.
The Roaches - Upper and Lower Tier/ Spring Boulders
Wimberry Boulders (In warmer months).

Fantastic venues both, but the exploratory nature of Fionnphort was pretty amazing. Heading back for a week in May, before the midges arrive......

Heh M :)  Both venues look pretty special.  Some friends have been to Skye recently and the photos I've seen of the blocks up there are incredible.  There is so much untapped potential in Scotland!  You may be able to interest me and others in a big trip up north, it would be good to visit pastures new.  Here the surf's pretty good in the Hebs too.  PM me and we will continue this conversation!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 02:39:48 pm
Here the surf's pretty good in the Hebs too.  PM me and we will continue this conversation!

Understatement. Did you see my previous posting about the ferry fares to Hebrides being reduced too?

Sadly Mull itself is a bit sheltered to get the best of the waves, but i reckon the SW tip may see some. Macrahanish is close by though, and the ferry from there goes to barra and the southerly outer hebrides.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 07:39:29 pm
Fantastic venues both, but the exploratory nature of Fionnphort was pretty amazing.

Fidden is amazing, one of the mostbeautiful places I've been. Not many beaches with granite boulders in the UK.

Sadly Mull itself is a bit sheltered to get the best of the waves, but i reckon the SW tip may see some

Fidden is exactly the SW tip, but might be sheltered by Iona. I can see a joint trip coming on...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 07:49:45 pm
Chinny reckon. Could be right on Iona, but the beaches arround Erraid may have promise, swell window is pretty large. Erraid looks like a top spot too - some amazing rock - good DWS.

granticus

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 08:30:30 pm
 :o  OK! OK! It's on! Clearly the Hebs are beautiful, hold great bouldering potential and great surfing potential...  Sounds ideal to me...  I've been to Font more times than I care to mention.  However, I have only been to Scotland once  :oops: sorry! 
Sod over chalked, polished 'classics', sod crowds and localism...  I am fully up for exploring this great land, climbing untouched rock and leaving fresh footprints in the sand etc... etc.

Is it time to start a new thread???

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Weather signs for bouldering?
November 05, 2008, 09:28:10 pm
word.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal