UKBouldering.com

North Leeds gossip (Read 34264 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#75 Re: North Leeds gossip
January 30, 2009, 10:36:22 am
Lol excuse the silly questions I'm a student.

Indeed. Glad that tertiary education isn't going to waste. They let anyone in these days :)
Hey - not so fast, admissions are up here and we're having to be picky.. they need to breathe AND have a pulse this year...

webbo

• forum hero
#76 Re: North Leeds gossip
January 30, 2009, 12:29:08 pm

Indeed. Glad that tertiary education isn't going to waste. They let anyone in these days :)
Hey - not so fast, admissions are up here and we're having to be picky.. they need to breathe AND have a pulse this year...
are you sure about that.i have actually been an interviewer for hull uni nursing courses and you can't ask such things as can you breath unaided or can you tie your own shoe laces.

tomtom

• forum hero
#77 Re: North Leeds gossip
January 30, 2009, 01:11:49 pm

are you sure about that.i have actually been an interviewer for hull uni nursing courses and you can't ask such things as can you breath unaided or can you tie your own shoe laces.
OK, I might be wrong, we might let them in if they can breathe OR have a pulse and the necessary tuition fees  ;)
We must then ensure not to declare them dead until the 15th Dec, but which time they cannot claim back any of their fees...  :)

thustler

• regular
#78 Re: North Leeds gossip
January 31, 2009, 08:42:01 pm

Let me explain I'm doing a BTEC...

MattyK

#79 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 04, 2009, 05:06:15 pm
Not much info on website yet but: http://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/

Looking forward to it... sounds ace!

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#80 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 04, 2009, 08:52:40 pm
All this in Leeds and still nowt in Bradford :'(

john dunne is grapevined to be opening a wall in bradford

sparra

#81 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 09, 2009, 01:37:13 pm

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#82 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 09, 2009, 02:19:34 pm
We dropped in to have a look at Citybloc yesterday and it's not three bad. Obviously not as large as the Works but it has a variety of wall angles and the problems were well set, not all obvious sequences or jug pulling. The holds were obviously brand new which made the friction nice. No card machine so it was cash only, no brushes or detailed topos. Little in the way of staff presence that I noticed either. A good start IMO but it needs some attention to the detail or it could quickly become just another bouldering wall.

tomtom

• forum hero
#83 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 09, 2009, 06:01:21 pm
We dropped in to have a look at Citybloc yesterday and it's not three bad. Obviously not as large as the Works but it has a variety of wall angles and the problems were well set, not all obvious sequences or jug pulling. The holds were obviously brand new which made the friction nice. No card machine so it was cash only, no brushes or detailed topos. Little in the way of staff presence that I noticed either. A good start IMO but it needs some attention to the detail or it could quickly become just another bouldering wall.
Cheers Steve, might give it a try this week instead of heading down to the works (its a bit closer...). How much was it? the formatting on the website didnt make it clear..
T

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#84 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 09, 2009, 06:51:02 pm
Entry Prices
Annual Yearly Membership: £3.50

Non Member Adult          Member Adult                 *Concession                    Junior (under 16)
£7.50                               £6.50                          £5.50                                £4.50 

*Concessions: students / over 60's 

Off-Peak Prices (Mon-Fri before 16.00)
Adult                        *Concession                          Junior (under 16)                1 hour off peak
£5.00                             £4.50                                    £4.00                                 £2.50 

*Concessions: students / over 60's 

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#85 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 09, 2009, 08:20:41 pm
What he said. You'd better hurry if you want a low membership number  ;)

CJ Whitaker

#86 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 09, 2009, 09:17:41 pm
Steve dunning was my teacher for science when i was at school and he was a awesome climber as well i know this wall i going to be good i am going to go all the time. i wish them luck with it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#87 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 12, 2009, 08:44:59 am
Went to citibloc last night and thought it was pretty good.
DIdnt get the chance to chat to the guys running the place when leaving as had to dash - so some general points/feedback...

+'s
Like the grading structure - 20 odd problems in 5 grade bands.

Problems were great for me, blue were just at my 50/50 flashable limit, so I got loads of mileage instead of flapping on one or two things I couldnt really do for ages.

Really varied problems too - jug pulls to balancy things moving from jugs to crimps to slopers (alot of walls seem to have jugs or crimps etc..). Some problems were also really long - 6-7 or more moves often diagonal rising traverses  :)

Cafe upstairs was good and reasonably priced

People running the place were great

Dead easy to get to 1 min of the M621 - loads of room for parking

-ves
Could be a wee bit small or not have enough problems (at the moment). If I were to go twice or more a week, I recon after three weeks or so I'd run out of things to do/could do. Though you could say that for every wall. If they change the routes regularly (every month or so) it'd work fine

Not enough beastly overhangs. e.g. skips at the works are a bit daft but great fun..

Toilets were grim. Think Trainspotting....

For a couple of people with us, there was not enough difficulty in the easy grades (if that makes sense). e.g. they could do all the pinks (piss easy) and all the reds (easy) but none of the blues. THey suggested more stretching of grades within the easy band. THats one thing the works and the stockport wall (in particular) does well - some of the easy problems are easy, but really make you think...

T.

Terrace Ghost

• player
#88 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 14, 2009, 10:41:30 am
Thanks for the feedback. 

We had a few comments about the difference between the reds and blues so we altered some of the existing blues and added a few more. 

On the toilet front we should be opening our own within the next week or so. 

If you have any further feedback feel free to speak with myself or Ben next time your in.

Cheers
Martin

tomtom

• forum hero
#89 Re: North Leeds gossip
February 17, 2009, 12:11:16 pm
Thanks for the feedback. 

We had a few comments about the difference between the reds and blues so we altered some of the existing blues and added a few more. 

On the toilet front we should be opening our own within the next week or so. 

If you have any further feedback feel free to speak with myself or Ben next time your in.

Cheers
Martin

Glad to give feedback and thanks for listening. I would have spoken to you guys on the way out, but it was late and we had to head off.. keep up the great work, and I look forward to coming again soon!
TT

PS - that cafe space at the top would be great for talks/lectures etc.. warm, plenty of brews etc... T

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal