UKBouldering.com

Yoga Classes in Sheffield (Read 12828 times)

alaan

• regular
Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 04, 2008, 11:17:21 pm
Hi,

Thinking about taking up Yoga classes in the hope that it will help sort out my dodgy shoulder and terrible flexibility. Can anyone recommend somewhere good in Sheffield, preferably on a Wednesday evening that isn't full of old women (it'll be too embarrassing when they elegantly contort into 'the eagle' or some such for hours on end whilst I writhe on the floor in frustration and ineptitude)? Would also be great if it was fairly near S6 and didn't cost a fortune - does anyone know if the uni Goodwin center runs courses?

Also, as an aside, will protein supplements and the like help aid recovery from muscular injuries, generally speaking? I've started taking protein shakes after climbing as I didn't feel I was getting enough in my diet at the right time (and my body felt like it was/is falling apart), being a lazy vegetarian. Just wondered since I would have assumed it helps (based on no knowledge whatsoever) but never heard of its use in that context.

Cheers,

Al

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 08:03:27 am
No idea about what you have locally, but look for Ashtanga rather than Hatha, as this has more flowing movement between postures, rather than holding the postures in Hatha. Both would be good, but Ashtanga is generally regarded as a bit more strenuous, and are less likely to be full of old women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtanga_Vinyasa_Yoga

I do it at lunchtimes twice a week, but am fortunate to have a studio 20 m from work. And it is subsidised. Bit if a hike from Sheff though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 08:24:32 am
i and a few other ukb regulars go to zaff's classes at the heeley institute up the hill from the sheaf view. beginners on mondays, intermediates on thurs, both start at 7. both full of climbers - zaff did the 3rd ascent of gaia, plus a few bloc 1st ascents like western eyes - and no old women in sight - though some young ones...

have also been to pat horscroft's classes in nether edge when i was starting - a bit gentler, though i don't know if they're still running tbh.

Rice Boy

• stalker
#3 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 09:21:50 am
What's Zaff's class like? 
Is it flowing/dynamic (fast) or are the stretches held (slower)? 
What's his philosophy i.e. Why do we stretch?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 10:45:00 am
zaffs class is really good.
i have never been to other classes so wouldn't know the difference but it seems to me to be flowing and holding. you certainly feel good after it.
we stretch because it's there.
i don't go any more, not because i don't think it's good but because i only wanted my hips opening, this was the only kind of stretching we didn't do. since we didn't do this i thought there was no reason for me to be there, that's my philosophy

Rice Boy

• stalker
#5 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 11:21:25 am
Thanks.

you certainly feel good after it.

So it's nice and painful (in the good way) during the class then.

I'd been meaning to check his class out having got the impression that it wasn't all about candles and music or mindlessly launching from one position to the next.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 11:25:21 am
i would def give it a shout. don't get him talking about philosophy and you're onto a winner. the only possible annoyance, it's always the oms with me, is that brians irish brogue shines through on the oms. allegedly ;)

alaan

• regular
#7 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 11:31:24 am
Cheers for that, think I might be giving the beginners class of Zaff's a go - sounds like the right kind of stuff. Is the Heeley institute here:
http://www.multimap.com/s/BpNLJ1Xm  ?

Definitely looking forward to getting straightened out a bit. How much is it a session?

Cheers,

Al

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#8 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 01:56:23 pm
zaff's classes at the heeley institute up the hill from the sheaf view.
That's just up the road from me - I might be running out of excuses :-/

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 07:27:40 pm
Zaff does ashtanga - its flowing and fairly fast, will definitely get you hot and panting, you typically hold poses for 5 breaths. And you do plenty of open hips stuff - I just showed Dense one and he retorted 'ooh i don't like that it hurts my knee'

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 07:40:38 pm
Did you get Dense hot and panting though?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 07:57:11 pm
can i point out that johnny showed me one and i said that hurt my knee, the other he showed me that they do i don't remember doing

i'm only hot and panting fiend because i have manflu, maybe i should wear more than just a leather thong

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#12 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 05, 2008, 09:34:18 pm
Quote from: bendy gandy
..i only wanted my hips opening..

*mirth

smacks

• To be sure to be sure
#13 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 08, 2008, 08:34:50 pm
Nothing wrong with an irish brogue especially with the oms  :yawn: though my mate from home just told me im starting to get an English twang. I'll never be able to go back now  :'(

As for the yoga. Yes its good, yes it'll 'open your hips' (for your hips to open up dense i suggest a sledgehammer) and yes its not full of old women. Mondays at 7pm are best for complete beginners and during winter expect it to be busy.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 08, 2008, 08:38:19 pm
People that can't touch their toes welcome do you think?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 09, 2008, 07:41:15 am
People that can't touch their toes welcome do you think?

I think attendance should be obligatory if you can't.

fatkid2000

• junky
#16 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 14, 2008, 12:20:14 pm
My wife wants to go to one of these Yoga sessions at the Heely Institute. Whats the deal, does she need to book in advance or is it turn up and take part affair, and whats the price / session? Many thanks.

alaan

• regular
#17 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 14, 2008, 01:17:14 pm
I went for the first time this week - still can't quite touch my toes but it was very good! No need to pre-book, think it's just a turn-up affair and it was about £7/8, unless you pay for a full 6 weeks and then I think it works out at £6 a session.

Cheers,

Al

fatkid2000

• junky
#18 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 14, 2008, 02:03:21 pm
Cheers for the advice Al, one more question - does she need a yoga mat? and what road is the institute on? Many thanks.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#19 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 14, 2008, 02:06:28 pm
on the junction of gleadless road (ie wher the shaeaf is) and hartley road further up

there is a bollard stops you driving right up - so i normally park on the sheaf side on gleadless road and walk 100yrds up the road to hartley

zaf has some mats

fatkid2000

• junky
#20 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
November 14, 2008, 02:14:52 pm
Many thanks - might see you there if you go on a Monday - need to do some other forms of exercise besides climbing and riding bikes. Plus the wife will get lost if she goes on her own even with sat nav.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#21 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 07, 2011, 03:24:31 pm
Anyone been to any yoga classes recently? I haven't been regularly since Zaff stopped doing his last year. Went to a couple by the girl who took over (Zoe?) but it was getting into light evenings season. Any recommendations?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#22 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 07, 2011, 03:32:06 pm
Anyone been to any yoga classes recently? I haven't been regularly since Zaff stopped doing his last year. Went to a couple by the girl who took over (Zoe?) but it was getting into light evenings season. Any recommendations?

For convenience what about the 7.30-8.30am classes at USport on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

If you live where I think you do it must be all of 3 mins walk from your front door.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#23 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 07, 2011, 03:56:24 pm

For convenience what about the 7.30-8.30am classes at USport on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

If you live where I think you do it must be all of 3 mins walk from your front door.

Nice idea, and yes your right very close (90s at a jog) but you obviously haven't seen me in the mornings,  :yawn:, and now with two kids to deal with before work, not sure how well that would go down even if I could get out of bed.
ps: Are you stalking me?  ;D

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#24 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 07, 2011, 04:02:42 pm
Nice idea, and yes your right very close (90s at a jog) but you obviously haven't seen me in the mornings,  :yawn:, and now with two kids to deal with before work, not sure how well that would go down even if I could get out of bed.
ps: Are you stalking me?  ;D

When I went year last I paid for the ticket the evening before to provide the incentive to get up.

JB described where you live at the xmas area meet cos you lived close by. I'm on Elmore Road.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#25 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 07, 2011, 04:56:05 pm
I'm on Elmore Road.
I'll give you a :wave: from Mini Obi's bedroom

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#26 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 07, 2011, 05:05:37 pm
If you find a good class let me know Toby, need to get back into it too.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#27 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 10, 2011, 02:21:29 pm
JB did you try the lass doing Mondays at the heeley institute? Not quite the same as Zafs, not too bad (I've only been once)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 10, 2011, 10:22:05 pm
Mondays never really suited me anyway, much preferred thursdays. Anyone been to Yoga Shala on London Road?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#29 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 11, 2011, 12:25:12 pm
Zoe has left 'Zaff's' old session which has now been taken over by Ruth.  All good so far but pretty busy, i.e. full.  PM me for Ruth's number if you want to ring to join. 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 11, 2011, 12:36:45 pm
Still Mondays? Might come down anyway, you still do most weeks NS?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#31 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 11, 2011, 01:57:48 pm
What time is it on Mondays?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#32 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
February 12, 2011, 10:01:03 pm
Just started again.

7pm. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
April 15, 2011, 10:35:40 am
I wonder if this guy does classes in Sheffield, looks like he could be a hit (or miss) with the ladies...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#34 Re: Yoga Classes in Sheffield
April 15, 2011, 12:45:45 pm
That's just so wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal