places to visit > uk and eire

Goldsborough Carr

<< < (2/11) > >>

BenF:

--- Quote from: Monolith on November 04, 2008, 01:26:44 am ---I've been and thought it was shite. Possibly don't listen to me though as you won't catch me raving about many moorland crags with coarse rock.

--- End quote ---

Jesus Christ. 

Please don't listen to Monolith on this subject.  He's fine if you ask about design, techno, culture etc.  Don't listen to him about his opinion of climbing, sequences, grit or the like, as you'll get a load of ill-considered bollocks.  His opinion was mainly formed, I would summise, because there weren't many eliminates on dirty crimps up at Goldsborough.  Basically, it wasn't the Cave.

webbo:
i too have been and i thought it was great.it was the middle of summer,we went there because it is exposed and breezy.so it could be a touch on the chilly side think blackstones.
that climbon guide is the one out of the north of england guide which is all there is other than the stone circles article.you might struggle to find a passing local to help you in avoiding using any illegal holds though. :whistle:

BenF:

--- Quote from: BenF on November 04, 2008, 08:22:26 am ---His opinion was mainly formed, I would summise, because there weren't many eliminates on dirty crimps up at Goldsborough.  Basically, it wasn't the Cave.

--- End quote ---

NB:  I was not suggesting that the Cave is full of eliminates by the way.  It's just that what Monolith does there.  Probably.

Paul B:
as people have already said, it'll be windy and cold up there.
Its a great little spot. Either buy the North of England guide or hope to find Mr Cummins in situ up there.
Beths Traverse is the tick of the crag imo.

http://www.climber.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?cate=3&topic=17&item=111

Fiend:

--- Quote from: Sir Simon Of Panton ---Hands up if you’ve ever been to Goldsborough Carr? Anybody? Okay, so there’s one or two Darlington locals who are waving a paw in the air, along with some of you lads and lasses from the Lakes and Northumberland, but the rest of you, no, I didn’t think so.
--- End quote ---

I've been thrice (admittedly one of those times I had a sudden attack of debilitating nausea and just about managed to crawl back to the car).

Cool crag. At it's best for easy highballs / solos and harder low roofs. Certainly would make for a fun day out in anyone's book. If there's any breeze, drying time will be instantaneous, as will hypothermia time. If by some miracle it's warm it would make a decent spot for the kids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version