UKBouldering.com

Anyone know anything about Fiji? (Read 3283 times)

wMickey

• regular
Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 29, 2008, 02:14:43 am
So, I'm currently doing a backpacking round the world sort of trip and next up I'm off to Fiji for two weeks. Does anyone know if there's any good climbing there? As I'm living out of a rucksack all I have with me is boots and chalk so ideally I'm looking for any bouldering or deep water soloing that anyone knows of. Any help greatly appreciated.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 29, 2008, 03:09:09 am
We went to Fiji on a round the world trip and took it as a well earnt break after a month in RMNP and a month in Squamish. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I can't imagine much has been developed there and none of the beaches we went to had any sign of boulders or DWS. Where else are you going?

The main island has much of the industry that Fiji has, we were near Nandi, and isn't really what I imagined Fiji to be like. For that you have to goto the hundreds of islands around the place. It wasn't cheap (and we didn't because of time) but there looked to be some great value all inclusive 5/7 day tours with sporting stuff thrown in.

Incidentally I also burnt my armpits so be careful of the Sun. I was trying not to vomit, and failed whilst on a boat. I was laid with my heads supported by both my hands. Armpits were facing up and despite it being a bit chilly my pits got majorly burnt. Bloody hard to live with 'chicken wings' for a couple of days. So take and wear sun cream all over.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 29, 2008, 09:04:58 am
go to fiji. don't bother trying to climb. just chill out, go snorkelling or diving. it's awesome.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 29, 2008, 09:31:28 am
Or surf.

(Sorry, had to say it, couldn't help myself).

Top spot.

wMickey

• regular
#4 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 29, 2008, 05:49:21 pm
I suspected as much! Ah well I'll just have to dream of Castle Hill while lying on the beach (next stop). I fancy learning how to surf so that should be fun anyway.

Any suggestions on which islands are good for the classic chill out on the beach holiday? I've also heard the capital is a bit wank.

IS2

• addict
#5 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 29, 2008, 05:52:42 pm
It is in the Pacific and hopefully cheaper than LA.  Do not know about blocks but probably not as good as the Lumley board.

IS2

• addict
#6 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
October 30, 2008, 07:57:26 pm
Google Earth has a photo of a beach with a crag on it on an island called Yasawa ........ Yasawairara beach. Looks like a nice spot !!

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Anyone know anything about Fiji?
November 01, 2008, 12:41:51 am
Fiji has predominantly reef breaks so it's not fantastic for beginners. I didn't do any for that reason. Cool place and the snorkelling really is good.

wMickey: I live in Christchurch now so give me a PM if you want any knowledge. New guide to Castle Hill is due out on the 13th of Nov I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal