UKBouldering.com

Gritlist (Read 129626 times)

AndiT

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 10:08:26 pm
If people preferred this could be done just as text rather than a table?  And splitting into seriousness groups etc is a possibility.

Thoughts on format greatly welcomed... Please!!!!!

I'd prefer it just text, I've just put a few bits in and found it quite difficult (I am a computer moron though).

I think it's great though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#51 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 10:38:53 pm
Right, Readza has done a table template for pages.  It includes a danger rating and a best style column.  I've added pages in this style for most grades.

Over time, I'll convert tables and the info on the Grit List .  In the meantime, please add info to the appropriate region and grade in teh new table format.  if you need to add a row, click "easy edit" then right click on the table and select "add row".  Even AndiT can do it :lol:

grimer

• forum hero
#52 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 11:05:37 pm
what happens if you disagree with something? Eg i see Entropy's Jaw is 3/4 suggesting it's very safe. I thought this was scary, much more so than Art Nouveau, and the fall off this would be bad. Can people really get rps in on the on-sight?

and do we get to see who has made the comments?

Good effort doing all this, by the way

abarro81

• forum hero
#53 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 11:14:07 pm
I guess this is the main issue with it being a wiki rather than one person's site - if someone disagrees with a french grade/danger rating maybe they should put they're opinion and put their name by it?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#54 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 11:19:45 pm
I'd suggest you add a comment with your name if you don't agree with something.

Peak E5s now converted to the new table.
I've made a start on Lancs E5 listings.

abarro81

• forum hero
#55 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 11:28:25 pm
If I know a route's been GUed or flashed but presume it may also have been onsighted shall I just add it as what I know and then those who know for sure of a better style can come along and write over my post?

abarro81

• forum hero
#56 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 11:31:19 pm
Also, is there any order for adding new routes at the moment, or shall I just put them at the bottom of the table and await the outcome of the 'how to arrange the tables' debate?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#57 Re: Gritlist
October 29, 2008, 11:32:19 pm
Yeah, add any knowledge you may have.  It's fine to have a GU and onsight info for the same route.

To be honest, this is all en experiment and we'll find out how it works later.
My head hurts :lol:

Also, is there any order for adding new routes at the moment, or shall I just put them at the bottom of the table and await the outcome of the 'how to arrange the tables' debate?

At present, if we use the seriousness column we may not need a specific order.  But that can be changed later.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#58 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 12:03:22 am
I won't change anything as I know nowt about all this, but I just saw the entry for Sole Power.

Desperate slapping up a hanging arete, with your feet on nothing! Essentially an extended boulder problem, though many folk try top-roping it! Does not see many (any?) ascents. F7b+ (Now usually done as a highball boulder problem at font 7c)    

Surely it can't be only F7b+ if it's font7C?

Good work GCW, by the way!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#59 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 08:14:34 am

Let me know if you want a hand with that.

nik at work

• forum hero
#60 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 08:15:42 am
Good work GCW.

Could we have/would people want a stickified link to the wiki?

AndiT

• forum abuser
#61 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 09:13:15 am
In the meantime, please add info to the appropriate region and grade in teh new table format.  if you need to add a row, click "easy edit" then right click on the table and select "add row".  Even AndiT can do it :lol:

You're right, I think I've put some stuff in! Hurray.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#62 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 09:23:58 am
For clarity could it be worth having a page for ex-E5s which have been, or are still given E5 in guides, but are generally reckoned not to be, either because they are too easy or only make sense as highballs? For example - too easy Morning Wood, National Power, Lazy Day; highballs - The Sphynx, Grizly Arete, Dry wit In a Wet country, Tierdrop.

Paz

• junky
#63 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 11:54:10 am
Alright Chaps, Mr How not to do it, and Mr What Not to wear here. 

I'm a fine one to talk I know, but can I just point out that less is more?

Evn if it is way out of date I'd far rather read Jon's labour of love, The Grit List which was written with great wit, authority, but was still inspiring, and actually still left a lot to the imagination.  Have a separate Nesscliffe and N York Moors section FFS.

On the UKC logbooks I see a number of `route descriptions' that basically read like a trip report `I climbed the crack to the break, and then turned around and looked at the marvellous view, and saw an interesting bird, and then I moved left and clipped some tat and carried on a bit and I topped out in a different place to the guidebook as a hold was dirty'.  Only without my impeccable spelling and grammar.

I hope I'm speaking for the silent majority of the wide reading public and not from an ivory tower if I say: In an ideal world where everyone can write readably and only contributes worthwhile stuff, but knows when to STFU, then wiki's are great.

Even Nic's unter list, good as it was, was never The List.  It was more of a good Grit list tribute band. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#64 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 12:00:20 pm

I'm a fine one to talk I know, but can I just point out that less is more?

:lol:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#65 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 12:18:51 pm

Let me know if you want a hand with that.

Cheers Andy, any help is gratefully received.  I'll bang names etc into the table to start with and people like yourself can fill in the details.

This could be a cool resource.  Quite exciting really  :dance1:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#66 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 12:28:11 pm
Where does one find said table into which one bangs stuff?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#67 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 01:22:50 pm
Whoever has updated the Peak E5s recently, you've wiped off all my additions! I'd re-add them myself, but i'm off in van for a few days now. The additions can be found here http://gritlist.wetpaint.com/account/Bonjoy/history Does someone mind merging them into the new format? Thanks
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:45:14 pm by Bonjoy »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#68 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 02:44:37 pm
I'll try to sort it if I get a chance Jon.
Andy, go to the tabs on the left, click on a grade, then on the area when it comes up.

Any thoughts about including FA info and styles?

AndiT

• forum abuser
#69 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 07:07:06 pm
Whoever has updated the Peak E5s recently, you've wiped off all my additions! I'd re-add them myself, but i'm off in van for a few days now. The additions can be found here http://gritlist.wetpaint.com/account/Bonjoy/history Does someone mind merging them into the new format? Thanks

Yeah, I noticed some of yours had vanished. Wasn't me! I hope!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#70 Re: Gritlist
October 30, 2008, 08:34:08 pm
Bonjoy, I think I've got all your stuff back in.  Have a quick check.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#71 Re: Gritlist
November 03, 2008, 11:25:16 am
Cheers cap'n

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#72 Re: Gritlist
November 03, 2008, 04:10:30 pm
Black Magic details updated and new Cheshire E5 page added. Not sure if the knife qualifies for E5 with the tricam (which I reckon is solid). Please check the details, my opinions are likely to be hopelessly incorrect.
Also, in my idiocy I created a Cheshire E5 page that was wrong. Think I need mod powers to get rid. GCW could you delete the Cheshire E5 page and rename "E5 Cheshire new" to "E5 Cheshire", please?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#73 Re: Gritlist
November 03, 2008, 04:55:38 pm
That page is quaddra-spazzed Will.  I've copied the info to the Cheshire E5 page, so all we need to do is delete the Cheshire E5 New page.  I can't at present, but I'll try again later.

EDIT:  Sorted it now.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#74 Re: Gritlist
November 03, 2008, 05:30:02 pm
On a lifeglug?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal