the shizzle > chuffing

Gritlist

(1/30) > >>

Bonjoy:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4755/climbing/gritlist/gritlist.html

Not much to it, but what a great site! Such a shame it hasn’t had any updates since ’03! What could be better for obsessive route baggers than a list of potential objectives with pithy soundbites, critical beta (not a place to look if you are an onsight purist) and subdivision into categories of fearfulness?
Here’s my idea. Seeing as the list is very incomplete, can anyone who has done any off the list grit routes of E5 or above put a gritlist style summary on this thread, complete with gear beta and a guess at a French grade.
I know onsighting is the gold standard, but for mortals like myself there are a whole load of routes on the edge of my comfort zone which I will just never go on without that little extra comfort of knowing there’s a hidden jug in the break or a bomber ballnut 2 at the end of the runout. These are routes which are too safe/easy to headpoint, but maybe too much of a big unknown to want to push the boat out on totally onsight.
Don’t be shy now. I know some folk on here have got shit loads they could add. Think of it as a charitable act, allowing cowards like myself to push their tiny boats (coracles?) out a little bit further.
I’ll kick things off with what little I can. Most of the stuff I’ve climbed is already on the gritlist, the main exceptions being FAs, so please excuse me seeming to big my own routes up. All of these are either in the safe and technical or safe and sustained ranges:

Apple Tree E5 6c – Rowtor
Bouldery rib coming out of My Apple. Not much higher than MA but with the crux right at the top. Good RP4 just high enough. Tricky but safe to get stood up at the lip, then a bold lurch for the top and a roundy finish. A bit spoiled by the close proximity of the tree. F7a

Beyond the Forbidden Forest E5 6b – eatswood
Excellent climbing up a curved bulge. Safe, but crucial cam is hard to place. Bomber gear in break (place to right to direct fall into clear space), big stretch to a distant eye F0.5 or other small cam, hard to place. Tricky hand swap then crux rib via rugosite and pocket. F6c+

Monster Monster E5 6b – eatswood
Safe and bouldery. Roof direct start to E1. Good ballnut 1 + 2 on the right protect dynamic crux to good hold on the lip. Has been bouldered out. F6c+

Right Between the Eyes E5 6b – Turning StoneSequencey wall climbing after a steep start. Good low gear on either side of the chimney. Big move left then right then left. Hard climbing over fairly quickly, then well protected and easy to the top. F6c+

The Inaccessible E5 6a – Ina’s Rock
Churnet, so technically sandstone not grit. Quality pumpy climbing with good gear. Up thrutchy E2 to ledge. Place big cams in upper half of E2. Step left lassoing low metal spikes then yard through the roof with good rock 6 and small friend in crack. The continuation is pumpy and well protected with small cams. Don’t pull on the wrong pebble! F6c

Thanks.

SA Chris:
I'm sure if you emailed Jon Read he would give you access to it. Would be a great thing to have on a wiki.

Bonjoy:
It is still there.

SA Chris:
I meant give you access for updating, etc.

Bonjoy:
Ah.
T'would be good to have a grit wiki.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version