UKBouldering.com

Legality of pinching firewood (Read 78425 times)

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#75 Re: Legality of pinching firewood
February 11, 2011, 11:01:33 pm
If i factored the costof my time  into the installation of the stove, gatherring and splitting of fuel etc, i'd be facing a huge huge loss.  Like Bubba said, I actually quite enjoy the whole process.  Must be the hunter gatherer instinct ;)

underground

• forum hero
#76 Re: Legality of pinching firewood
February 11, 2011, 11:22:45 pm
I'm talking about the effort to collect, process and season and burn that wood ( not to mention cleaning out the ash etc...). that stove must be going for at least 6 hours a day or you live in a tiny 2 room house.
Cost wise, I suppose it depends on what you charge yourself out at per hour? I recon at £10/ hour then gas CH will be way cheaper
Yep, I can appreciate what you're on about - I have always fancied a stove but really it's about having a place to burn a fire in the house, and the resultant heat a bonus - unless I converted the whole house to be heated off it it'd just be an expensive, but nice way of getting the lounge far too hot - although I love the idea of getting free heat from free wood, I couldn't do the time needed to get it.
I've never really thought of my time in terms of hourly rate if it's taken up doing something I actually give a shit about though - so gathering and processing firewood I'm happy to for nowt.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#77 Re: Legality of pinching firewood
February 12, 2011, 12:14:58 am
trouble is I work 42 hours a week, have 2 kids, barely have time to climb 1 or 2 days a week, rarely watch tv, do most of car mainatince, house diy, gardening etc and although I love getting my stihl out adn chopping and then splitting wood, let alone go out and collect it, I just don't have the time to do it on a weekly basis.
And then there is the conveineince of instant hot water/ central heating just coming on at the press of a button or the turn of a tap.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live the 'good life' but unfortunately modern life sucks

underground

• forum hero
#78 Re: Legality of pinching firewood
February 12, 2011, 01:01:47 am
trouble is I work 42 hours a week, have 2 kids, barely have time to climb 1 or 2 days a week, rarely watch tv, do most of car mainatince, house diy, gardening etc and although I love getting my stihl out adn chopping and then splitting wood, let alone go out and collect it, I just don't have the time to do it on a weekly basis.
And then there is the conveineince of instant hot water/ central heating just coming on at the press of a button or the turn of a tap.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live the 'good life' but unfortunately modern life sucks
Me too pal. I just don't dare touch the car, I leave that to the pros. Luckily they are VW and I receive a hefty discount.
Climbing 1 or 2 days a week and working 42 hours?! If only!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#79 Re: Legality of pinching firewood
February 12, 2011, 10:22:56 am
12 hour shifts  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal