UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1533692 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#1575 Re: Da News
January 18, 2010, 03:31:01 pm
How can I keep my vitriol relevant if I don't know what his latest exploits are?

I love to hate him, I can't help it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1576 Re: Da News
January 19, 2010, 01:46:36 pm
Linux touch-screen guitar  8)

(Cool for the geek aspect, personally I can't stand Guitar Hero WankerTM)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1578 Re: Da News
January 19, 2010, 04:15:22 pm
No Dogs Allowed

How cool was that?

Shame he got hit, worse still the arsehole driver didn't stop and take responsibility or try and help  :wank:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1579 Re: Da News
January 19, 2010, 04:54:05 pm
Yeah I read that in the Metro this morning - it said he had clocked up about 20,000 miles on the bus  ;D

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1580 Re: Da News
January 19, 2010, 10:00:52 pm

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1581 Re: Da News
January 19, 2010, 10:05:53 pm

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1584 Re: Da News
January 20, 2010, 11:21:40 am

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1585 Re: Da News
January 20, 2010, 11:43:14 am

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1587 Re: Da News
January 20, 2010, 03:34:36 pm
Judge shows a bit of common.

I couldn't disagree more, judge does a Denning and makes a decision based on wholly spurious grounds to satisfy the public mood more like.

Igor has plenty of form for such decisions.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1589 Re: Da News
January 20, 2010, 03:59:03 pm

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1590 Re: Da News
January 20, 2010, 04:32:53 pm
I heard the author of the artcile on the radio this monring and she sounded semi literate and then went on to say that there was an inverse relationship between volume of 'texting' and 'outcomes'.

As such she's probably another sociology Dr with no fucking idea about the difference between causality and casual relationships; I'd love to see her research protocol and raw data.

This seems like another second rate academic undertaking meaningless and flawed research and then presenting it in a manner which is not wholly justified;  :-\ I wonder if the research was funded by Nokia?

Stubbs

#1591 Re: Da News
January 20, 2010, 04:36:25 pm
I heard the author of the artcile on the radio this monring and she sounded semi literate and then went on to say that there was an inverse relationship between volume of 'texting' and 'outcomes'.

TEH LULZZZZZZ

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1592 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 10:18:06 am
Localised news this, but Sheffield City Council are bailing out private development business'.

What a load of  :wank:  Wasting money, why wasn't there a contract in place to make the developers obliged to follow through rather than turning round and saying "Sorry we can't afford this now".  They committed to developing the area and have now changed their mind.

Besides which, if the council really want to regenerate the city centre, then they should remove the eyesore that is Meadowhell.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1593 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 10:44:50 am
The simple fact is that there's no way to force a company into following through with a development when they've run out of money. The company would just fold leaving the city in a fucking mess and the project would have to be restarted at some point in the future (who knows when!) provided someone was willing to take it on. I can't think of a way that the council could have put any provisos in place to prevent this being a possibility. This is crime business after all.

Meanwhile the city rots costing the council a fortune in upkeep and lost rates and costing the city's economy millions. The net cost to the council of this bailout will be nil as the money is a loan and will be repaid with interest.

I think the council have done the right thing for the benefit of the city although I agree that it shouldn't have had to.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1594 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 10:52:04 am
Fair-do's it still sucks though.

Sheffield seem to be hot on loans, aren't the council still paying off shit loads for hosting the student games?  And now we're likely to be a host city for some football event that might or might not be in the UK in a few years, wonder how much more debt and interest that will add to the councils burgeoning debt?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1595 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 11:04:36 am
England wont get the World Cup but if they did it would be a massive boost for Sheffield's economy. Bear in mind that the stadia are already in place so it wouldn't cost stupid money to tart them up etc.

The student games is often slagged off but didn't it mean that the city ended up with some great facilities (Ponds Forge I think) and that a lot of the shit flats at Hyde Park were done up? I'm not sure about this as it was before I moved here but I know there are two sides to the story.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1596 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 11:27:59 am
England wont get the World Cup but if they did it would be a massive boost for Sheffield's economy. Bear in mind that the stadia are already in place so it wouldn't cost stupid money to tart them up etc.

Yeah, but the roads (or at least the arteries that lead to the stadium) would need to be up to scratch by then, and despite the EU grant there ain't a lot of road work being done (and that which is is on the main roads first, which to my mind seems disingenious, as by the time they've then finished off the quieter, more minor roads these main ones will have had a trashing and be ready for renewal and its like painting the Forth bridge).

Any boost would only be temporary anyway, after the event leaves there would be a load of hotels that wouldn't get used.  And I thought it was only Hillsborough that had the capacity to host any matches?

(Should probably point out I'm not a fan of football, or the fanaticism of many of the supporters, shouting at TV screens in pubs does not make any difference but does ruin the atmosphere of the venue).

The student games is often slagged off but didn't it mean that the city ended up with some great facilities (Ponds Forge I think) and that a lot of the shit flats at Hyde Park were done up? I'm not sure about this as it was before I moved here but I know there are two sides to the story.

The shit flats at Hyde Park are still shit (I live by them and have been in them in the past, they're really no different to those at Park Hill, just less of an eyesore 'cause they stuck some plastic on the outside, although even thats debatable).

A lot of the facilities that were built are still being paid off because they've been remortgaged a couple of times (apparently).

dave

#1597 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 12:52:21 pm
Student games means we've got an arena and don valley though, without which its debatable whether we'd have ended up with the stuff we've had recently like the EIS and Ice Sheffield. Not to mention the steelers wouldn't exist if the arena hadn't been built.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1598 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 12:54:04 pm
And where would U2 play? Oh, hang on..........

cofe

• forum hero
#1599 Re: Da News
January 21, 2010, 01:10:28 pm
Sheffield's boasting quite a few world champions these days, and we're in with a good chance of medals at the winter games too from athletes who train in the city.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal