UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1528593 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6225 Re: Da News
November 16, 2016, 02:45:23 pm
Got a link to the story on Gladys Matt? :clown:

False, Misleading, Clickbait-y, and Satirical “News” Sources collated by Melissa Zimdars, assistant professor of Media and Communications at Merrimack College.

Here you go: https://en-gb.facebook.com/fappythedolphin/
[emoji13]

This'll cheer you up. Sequence of 4 photos... you need to read them in order :)

https://twitter.com/sepulcralshrine/status/797579347179737088

That's it. It's all over.
Not worth trying anymore, bring on the clowns.

Oh,

They already did.

[emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6229 Re: Da News
November 22, 2016, 01:50:55 pm
I confess, my "experiments" occasionally involve shouting at inanimate objects, often in a somewhat nautical fashion, however...

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/11/21/might-think-gwyneth-paltrow-headline-good-wait-read-subheadline/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6230 Re: Da News
November 27, 2016, 07:14:41 pm
So, it's now 2016 may be the year we know as 1984. The technically illiterate Authorocrats(tm) have pushed through the shockingly draconian Investigatory Powers Bill.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-act-snoopers-charter-browsing-history-what-does-it-mean-a7436251.html

What I don't understand is who they think they'll catch? Anyone with anything to hide will just use TOR and /or VPNs to circumvent detection. Talking of which, it would be funny to try to get a mass movement of people to use TOR as their standard browser just to say "fuck you" in no uncertain terms to that witch Ms May.

Anyone use TOR?

fried

• forum hero
#6231 Re: Da News
November 27, 2016, 07:44:57 pm
Fillon wins French primaire, makes it much more likely that Lepen will be next French president. I'm going to start filling sandbags for my balcony.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6232 Re: Da News
November 27, 2016, 07:56:55 pm
Hellooooooo. This is France we're talking about. And look at the rest of the world. If the bookies weren't offering such crap odds then I'd be hurling wads of money at them for a Le Pen victory.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6233 Re: Da News
November 27, 2016, 07:59:05 pm
Fillon wins French primaire, makes it much more likely that Lepen will be next French president. I'm going to start filling sandbags for my balcony.

Why? Don't you think he'll split the right? Wouldn't the right have coalesced more broadly around Le Pen if Juppé were the alternative?

fried

• forum hero
#6234 Re: Da News
November 27, 2016, 08:02:22 pm
No, because the left won't vote for Fillon, but they would've done for Juppé. My wife's told me she doesn't care who wins between the two uf them.

Of course by next May who knows what could happen.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#6235 Re: Da News
November 27, 2016, 11:59:26 pm
Really? You feel that Le Pen is not more unacceptable than Fillon? I had the latter down as bit like D'Estaing with extra prejudice..is that wrong? There seems to me a big diffeeence between what impact the Catholic Right would have vs FN.. . Shocking stuff.

andy popp

• forum hero
#6236 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 06:25:46 am
I was hoping/calculating that Fillon had a better chance of beating Le Pen than Juppe but, as you say Fried, nowadays, who knows ...

fried

• forum hero
#6237 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 09:04:52 am
Really? You feel that Le Pen is not more unacceptable than Fillon? I had the latter down as bit like D'Estaing with extra prejudice..is that wrong? There seems to me a big diffeeence between what impact the Catholic Right would have vs FN.. . Shocking stuff.

I'm not saying anything of the sort! I'm just repeating what friends who had to 'hold their noses' while voting for Chirac in 2002 have told me. It seems to be one of those common knowledge things in France, no idea how accurate it is though.

I saw a client last week who was looking depressed, he told me that he'd heard fom a high up source that there is a concern that Lepen may not even need a second voting round, that shocked me and I left his office depressed too. He's not someone who's prone to sprouting hearsay.

galpinos

• forum hero
#6239 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 11:47:42 am
Why? Don't you think he'll split the right? Wouldn't the right have coalesced more broadly around Le Pen if Juppé were the alternative?

If one can ignore the race/religion/gay right/etc issues for a moment (a bit of a leap I know but bear with me), Le Pen has quite a left wing list of policies. Talking of centre right versus far right is far too simplistic, calling Fillon centre right as all news outlets in the UK seem to be seems a bit of stretch for a start! In an economic nutshell (from the little I know):

Le Pen
  • Protect the 35hr working week
  • Increase in public spending on infrastructure
  • Increase public spending on medical care

Fillon
  • Increase the working week
  • Reduce the amount of protectionism/government intervention
  • Massively reduce the public spending budget

That looks like a bid to appeal to the working classes form Le Pen to me.
There have also been reports of Le Pen picking up gay voters, Jewish voters (protecting them from the Islamist invasion, though that rhetoric might hold less water against Fillon than Juppe/Holland etc)

galpinos

• forum hero
#6240 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 11:50:44 am
Colour me sceptical
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_de_sondages_sur_l'%C3%A9lection_pr%C3%A9sidentielle_fran%C3%A7aise_de_2017#Fillon_-_Le_Pen

Are you saying you don't think Le Pen could win? Bearing in mind pollsters inability to predict anything at the moment and the potential for the silent Le Pen voter (i'm assuming it'd be a cultural no no to admit to being an NF voter in polite company) to come out of the woodwork on polling day I'm unsure.

fried

• forum hero
#6241 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 11:54:47 am
If the polls were to believed Fillon would now be unemployed.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#6242 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 01:23:46 pm
Fillon did quite well in the last few polls before the first round, even if he over performed a lot (and, thankfully, Sarkozy underperformed)

I fail to see how Le Pen can win a general election by promising to continue the catastrophic economical programme of PS that the electorate seems largely to reject.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6243 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 03:07:24 pm
So, it's now 2016 may be the year we know as 1984. The technically illiterate Authorocrats(tm) have pushed through the shockingly draconian Investigatory Powers Bill.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-act-snoopers-charter-browsing-history-what-does-it-mean-a7436251.html

What I don't understand is who they think they'll catch? Anyone with anything to hide will just use TOR and /or VPNs to circumvent detection. Talking of which, it would be funny to try to get a mass movement of people to use TOR as their standard browser just to say "fuck you" in no uncertain terms to that witch Ms May.

Anyone use TOR?

They are also pushing through the equally poorly thought-out Digital Economies Bill.

I've used TOR, and if you are referring to just the browser then any network traffic outside of the browser would still be visible to your ISP.  You can instead use a Virtual Privacy Network (VPN).

Lots of information on protecting your privacy at privacytools.io.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6244 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 05:25:21 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#6245 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 05:53:51 pm

I'm not saying anything of the sort! I'm just repeating what friends who had to 'hold their noses' while voting for Chirac in 2002 have told me. It seems to be one of those common knowledge things in France, no idea how accurate it is though

Hi Fried I did not mean less unacceptable to you! I meant in voting outcomes.

Galpinos, yes I get the problem in terms of policies that might appeal to left learning voters under the economic cosh. Cf Ukip vs Labour. Some pretty extreme xenophobia there that might turn some away though.

Paul Masón has an interesting take on Fillon in guardián today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/28/european-elite-have-developed-a-death-wish

fried

• forum hero
#6246 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 06:31:38 pm

I'm sure you didn't, I was only mucking about.

Interesting article. France has always been a divided country, Paris feels like a seperate city-state at times, and it's difficult not to assume that the people you speak to are representative of France as a whole. France has a history of populist mobilisation, getting people onto the streets is what counts, whether it's Fillon or Lepen the country is going to grind to a standstill very quickly (if they implement the policies they say).

I predict a Fillon win and then having him revert to the grey mister nobody that he's always been (he's already played his vote for me aginst the established 'elite' card during the primaires). Another 5 years of exactly the same but with more strikes. Remember the only real difference in most peoples eyes between Sarkozy and Hollande is one of style.

andy popp

• forum hero
#6247 Re: Da News
November 28, 2016, 07:29:38 pm
Poujadism anyone? Trump is a Poujadiste through and through. I think they're doomed in the long run, but, my god, they're going to go down fighting.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#6248 Re: Da News
November 29, 2016, 12:00:54 am
Meanwhile, in a quiet little suburb in the quaint county of South Yorkshire, we have this:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/28/sheffield-trees-dispute-scenes-putin-russia-nick-clegg-arrests 

galpinos

• forum hero
#6249 Re: Da News
November 29, 2016, 09:23:38 am

Galpinos, yes I get the problem in terms of policies that might appeal to left learning voters under the economic cosh. Cf Ukip vs Labour. Some pretty extreme xenophobia there that might turn some away though.

It's a pretty depressing choice, Fillon or Le Pen assuming that's how it ends up. As per Paul Mason, Thatcher or Mussolini.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal