tomtom

• forum hero

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5555 Re: Da News
August 04, 2014, 04:14:58 pm
According to Catherine Weibel of UNICEF,  speaking to Al Jazeera
One third of children in Gaza are suffering from shock, there are 300,000 children

According to Al Jazeera:

from Al Jazeera's Dalia Hatuqa in Ramallah:

The number of children killed during this ongoing war has now surpassed that of the 2008-9 'Cast Lead' military operation when 350 children were reported killed, according to UNICEF.

Between 8 July and 4 August 2014 (up until 05:00), at least 392 Palestinian children were reported killed as a result of airstrikes and shelling by Israel aerial, naval and ground forces.

Children make up for 31% of the civilian casualties.

The child casualties are 243 boys and 149 girls, the youngest is 1 month and the eldest is 17 years of age.

The highest number of child casualties was recorded in Khan Younis (116); followed by Gaza City (101); then northern Gaza (71); Rafah (53); and Central Gaza (51).
[/size]

tomtom

• forum hero
#5556 Re: Da News
August 04, 2014, 04:51:09 pm
Its not really NSFW - but a really sad image of a very small child (dead or injured I dont know) being carried from the rubble. Terrible.

NSFW  :

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5557 Re: Da News
August 04, 2014, 08:36:58 pm
I posted, then deleted a link to a facebook page which showed what bombs can do to an infant. Having reflected on it further, the link is here. The child, like in TT's photo, is dead.  It's very difficult to face what is actually happening. You may not want to see.

Al Jazeera give detailed updates and the Israeli news service Haaretz puts forward a nuanced and intelligent view of the conflict. B'Tselem, a left-wing Israeli NGO provide a critical, pro-peace perspective. Their facebook page is here. You can't reach their main site as it has been rendered inaccessible by some unknown agency. They put forward a TV advert simply listing the names of the dead children in this conflict, but it was banned. I expect the names will be on their main site when it comes back up. They deserve to have names.

chris20

• menacing presence

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#5559 Re: Da News
August 05, 2014, 12:19:45 pm
It's very difficult to face what is actually happening. You may not want to see.

I would say a lot of people would *really* not want to see that, just as a warning. NSFW doesn't really cover it. In general I think it's important that these images are in the public domain somewhere, horrific as they are that feeling of revulsion is something we really should experience at this war (or any other).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5560 Re: Da News
August 05, 2014, 12:56:23 pm
Even if you don't want to see it, I think you should, it shocked me to my core. Shows how fundamentally fuck up the whole thing is. This is in the name of religion for pity's sake.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5561 Re: Da News
August 05, 2014, 03:50:58 pm
In general I think it's important that these images are in the public domain somewhere, horrific as they are that feeling of revulsion is something we really should experience at this war (or any other).

Even if you don't want to see it, I think you should, it shocked me to my core. Shows how fundamentally fuck up the whole thing is. This is in the name of religion for pity's sake.

Thank you both for your comments.  I have been wary of posting here on this topic as this is a sport, not political site and this is a very difficult issue.

There are many images like that on Palestinian facebook and flickr pages. Because there are many deaths. B'tselem's facebook page covers atrocities too.

Some argue that this is self-defence from Hamas's rocket attacks which have killed three Israelis recently. Others that the IDF has reckless rules of engagement. Others still that this is collective punishment for civilian support for Hamas (which has the annihilation of Israel in its charter btw). Others might go even further and say this is ethnic cleansing of Gaza.

You have to make up your own mind. Personally I don't believe this is about religion. I think it's about land. It's worth a read.

If like me you want to share your opinion with Philip Hammond at the Foreign Office, you can email: fcocorrespondence@fco.gov.uk   You'll get an automated response assuming it's about Gaza, but they'll note your view.

One final thought: please don't assume all Jews support Israel's actions.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5562 Re: Da News
August 05, 2014, 03:53:40 pm
You have to make up your own mind. Personally I don't believe this is about religion. I think it's about land.

or

or

All tell a similar story....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5563 Re: Da News
August 05, 2014, 06:29:26 pm
Any chance we can split the news regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict into a separate topic?I think it could easily generate some interesting debate.

In other news, an investigation is to take place to determine whether Marco Pantani was murdered.http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/prosecuters-investigating-claim-that-tour-de-france-winner-marco-pantani-was-murdered-1.1945282

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5564 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 10:55:06 am
The stat I can't understand is how does one of the most sophisticated well equipped armies in the world manage to kill 377 kids but only 198 military enemy unless they are deliberately targeting children and/or the places children hang out or shelter?

Mike Highbury

• addict
#5565 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 11:21:08 am
In general I think it's important that these images are in the public domain somewhere, horrific as they are that feeling of revulsion is something we really should experience at this war (or any other).

One final thought: please don't assume all Jews support Israel's actions.

I can say with certainty that Neturei Karta doesn't support any of Israel's actions, whatever they may be.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5566 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 11:40:32 am

I can say with certainty that Neturei Karta doesn't support any of Israel's actions, whatever they may be.

No, you are quite correct, they have their own extreme reasons.  Perhaps it was a poor choice of photo.

Is this  better?

Or this?

My point is obvious: disgust at the carnage in Gaza feeds antisemitism. Dissenting Jewish voices should be heard, don't you agree?

Obi Wan: Hamas are mostly underground, the surface is too dangerous. That's why there are no photos of them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:03:54 pm by mrjonathanr »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5567 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 12:02:54 pm
If it isn't about religion, why are there so many references made to religious groups in the above posts? OK it's not just about religion, but also it's not just about land.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5568 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 12:17:11 pm
Sure, religion, race and land are all tied up together. The Arabs follow Islam, the Jews Judaism. Both religions can accommodate others under their rule, but they all need somewhere to live.

Hamas believe the only possible response to a Jewish state is Jihad, until all of Palestine is under Islam. Article 15 of their charter
The day that enemies usurp part of Moslem land, Jihad becomes the individual duty of every Moslem. In face of the Jews' usurpation of Palestine, it is compulsory that the banner of Jihad be raised. ......“I swear by the holder of Mohammed's soul that I would like to invade and be killed for the sake of Allah, then invade and be killed, and then invade again and be killed.” (As related by al­Bukhari and Moslem).

And Israel keeps taking land.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:23:38 pm by mrjonathanr »

tomtom

• forum hero
#5569 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 12:43:02 pm
On a tangent from the above (far more important) situation...

Penises, Computers and fitness apps... its perfect for UKB...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/06/runner-nike-san-francisco-penis

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5570 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 01:41:25 pm
There's more where that came from.
http://runningdrawing.tumblr.com/

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5571 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 02:40:01 pm

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5572 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 08:32:58 pm
The Cobra has lost it's head

Ancient Art is still available for posing purposes, but for how much longer?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5573 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 09:12:32 pm
Sure, religion, race and land are all tied up together. The Arabs follow Islam, the Jews Judaism. Both religions can accommodate others under their rule, but they all need somewhere to live.

Why can't they live together? Don't most religions preach tolerance?

Oh I forget most (all?) think all others are wrong and those who don't follow their choice of religion are damned to eternity in somewhere horrible.

But then you get different interpretations within each,  some being tolerant others being extremist.

Huge contradictions on all sides. :thumbsdown: :no:

The world would probably be a better place without religion,  even with the loss of the few good things they've bought.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5574 Re: Da News
August 06, 2014, 10:34:37 pm
40,000 Iraqis stranded on mountain as Isis jihadists threaten death

The Middle East is a terrifying place to be right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal