UKBouldering.com

Heat/ humidity affecting performance? (Read 6585 times)

Dave Westlake

• menacing presence
Heat/ humidity affecting performance?
July 30, 2008, 11:42:09 pm
Hi everyone,

For the last couple of months I've started 'training' for the first time ever (by this I mean in a more structured way than just 'going to the wall' - circuits, fingerboard, running etc).

The reason for this is that I'm going to ceuse next week and I want to avoid the total spanking I received last time by getting some fitness/ stamina.

Everything seemed to be going well....until this week when it got really hot.....

MONDAY - stamina circuits on jugs at 45 degree board: felt wasted from the start, really sluggish and pumped, managed about 3 when I normally do 15!

TUESDAY - power endurance on a 30 degree board: felt a bit shit

WEDNESDAY - run: although I just managed my usual lap I felt very sluggish and slow, and even a tiny bit sick by the end! (its only 3 miles!).

I cant think why my general performance has plummeted so much, apart form that it may be the heat?  Ive not been sleeping as well etc. :shrug:

I would normally put it down to being/ getting ill, but I don't feel ill.

Does anyone else get this when its hot? or is there something else it could be?

Cheers!
Dave

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
When it gets hot, and especially when it's humid, I tend to feel drained.  I don't feel weaker, just no stamina at all.  So, I can do a hard (for me) move but then I need to lie down for an hour.
But then I'ma fat punter :lol:

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
The answer is yes - Humidity can be utterly draining. Sometimes here in the summer it is so oppressive I can barely walk out of the house, and training is a waste of time.

If you're sweating alot more than you normally would, upping your fluids will help. Some people suffer alot more in humid conditions if they have low blood pressure (like my missus) and if this is the case, salt tablets can help too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
As an aside, how's the shoulder doing Carnage?

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Not too bad thanks. Its a slow process but getting there. Just started to use therabands and seeing pretty good results and the surgeon is pleased with my progress. Still along way off climbing although I can finally start running again when I get back from my holiday which will ease some of the lack of exercise frustration.

Must be the year for it as I just heard that a mate has fully ruptured his bicep tendon so is gonna need surgery too.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Yes.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else get this when its hot? or is there something else it could be?

Cheers!
Dave

you should be in the forest my old son, Its 35+ here. I went out the other night to do try this 8a I have been wanting to do for ages, Its fine its a shaddy boulder with good holds. Got there and warmed up feeling shit, I then thought i would do this 7b that I pissed and do every single time I go to this area, but today couldnt get of the ground, even when i got of the gorund I couldnt move. I put it down to just a bad day at the office, but no everyday this week the same. Its really hot and close here, even doing jug pulling on the board is an effort, bring on the winter thats all I say.

I was talking to the locals the other day, they all climb around 8a/8b level, they say august september in the forest none of them will even think of trying anything above 7a, these two months are all about doing easy circuits, purley down to the heat.

So dont worry, everyone else is in the same boat. Best thing to do is gt out training early in  the morning, I am out on the rocks by 7, then 10 oclock the day is over, take a power nap in the afternnon, then maybe do a light board sesion come 9'sh in the evening

Slide

• addict
Your body's main way of cooling in warm temps is sweating.  Sweating doesn't cool the body unless the moisture is removed from the skin by evaporation. Under conditions of high humidity, the evaporation of sweat from the skin is decreased as it turns into liquid to quickly.  Also, If the atmosphere is as warm as or warmer than the skin, blood brought to the body surface can't lose its heat. Under these conditions, the heart continues to pump blood to the body surface taking vital blood you may need for your muscles.

End result, your body is aleady under a lot of stress just keeping cool.

Jaspers advice G&T

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Heat/ humidity affecting performance?
August 03, 2008, 03:32:03 pm
I went out the other night to do try this 8a I have been wanting to do for ages, Its fine its a shaddy boulder with good holds.
what's that neil?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Re: Heat/ humidity affecting performance?
August 04, 2008, 09:51:52 am
If you're sweating alot more than you normally would, upping your fluids will help. Some people suffer alot more in humid conditions if they have low blood pressure (like my missus) and if this is the case, salt tablets can help too.

Now thats interesting. I reckon I might have low BP and I reckon I suffer in hot weather - can you point me at any science behind this application of salt tablets thing? Can I not just eat crisps?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I would be a little cautious about taking salt tablets on hot days when you're likely to be dehydrated.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
mmmmm crisps!

dave

if you're eating/drinking appropriately there should be no reason to need salt tabs, or eat McDonalds fries. One thing i've done before whis seemed to work OK is to make up a drink for the day thats say a litre of orange pop (dilute type) and add a pinch of salt to it. This kinda approximates the "isotonic" element of lucozade etc and helps replace those salts on a hot day, and also make it easier for your body to take the water onboard (summer days are actually better for this too as the water will be closer to body temperature).

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
we have something called "butron" or "gutron", it's prescription free and helps you raise the blood pressure when it's low due to vascular dilatation (SP?), heat and so on.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
I went out the other night to do try this 8a I have been wanting to do for ages, Its fine its a shaddy boulder with good holds.
what's that neil?

http://bleau.info/jouanne/2331.html

low start to hibernatus at dame jouanne

a dense loner

• forum hero
i hate that problem with a passion. ergo find it 8a to pull on

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
I agree that doesn't bode well, considering your 8a credentials generally consist of little more than pulling on.

a dense loner

• forum hero
i hope you're back soon :bow:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
today in florence city center, in the sun it was 43,5°. the air was so humid it seemed to be drinking it. i didn't feel powerful.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bet the totty was out in full force?

13 degrees here and dingiign it down, has been since yesterday morning.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
Bet the totty was out in full force?

chris, i am practicing teaching in an italian school for foreigners where 99% of the students are women, especially from brazil and eastern europe. for me the totty is ALWAYS out in full force. i have to admit it's a good reason to wake up and go to work...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Heat / humidity is something you get used to and after a while stop noticing. 

What I mean is after 3 months of jungle bouldering you just take it as part of the conditions at hand, stop whining, and get on w/ business.

joswald

#22 Re: Heat/ humidity affecting performance?
October 20, 2008, 06:07:02 pm
Humidity and heat can seriously affect your recovery.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal