UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in Cornwall (Read 7710 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Bouldering in Cornwall
July 05, 2003, 08:34:20 pm
Just had a great week down in Cornwall with the family. The weather was fantastic and I actually managed to go bouldering 3 times. I checked out Mother Iveys (close to Trevone/Padstow) and Godrevy.
The problems at Mother Iveys were not great in number, but the rock was super smooth and rounded, the landing was soft sand and the main rampline was totally classic. This is a really beautiful place to hang out at; my wife declared it her favourite place in Cornwall. Direct access from the road is a bit tricky; we walked in from the Harlyn Bay side on both visits. Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else has bouldered here. There was one hard looking line that I'm curious about (I didn't try it).

Godrevy was more extensive and the rock formations were very impressive in places, but it did suffer from a lot of dampness and wet holds on my afternoon visit (pretty breezy as well). I did some cool steep lines in the most tidal part and a couple of killer sitters in the first corridors.
Again, has anybody climbed here?
There are some very hard looking lines cleaned up.

I also spotted some interesting stuff at Booby Bay on the other side of the headland to Mother Iveys.

Cheers, Simon.

caedmon_m

• http://www.bigpebbles.co.uk
#1 Cornwall
July 05, 2003, 11:49:30 pm
Isn't it great! Clodgy, on the headland by St Ives has a few nice lines as well, and Carn Brea is worth a look, although the crux of most of the problems seems to be the top-out!

'Classic Arete' at Carn Brea

'Boomerang' at Clodgy

Something at Godrevy

Nice sit start on the hill above Zenor

All the stills are from the forthcoming BigPebbles :arrow: video 'Gone West' and I think there's a video from Godrevy on the site.

screwyouI'mfromderby

• regular
#2 Bouldering in Cornwall
July 06, 2003, 10:50:15 am
been bouldering in Sennen a few times.

park in the car park and head away from the town towards that other beach and get to a small crop of rocks that get available at low tide. There's a few good cracks and a great slab with micro edge/decent crimp for both hands and feet. Look out for waves taking your mat away and dead fish on the landing. That spot gets used by blokes fishing so there's a bit of debris now and then.

There's a load of rock out on the coast road up to St Ives near one of the big route venues. Carl Walk style hill top sections which get a bit weird at sunset.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3 Bouldering in Cornwall
July 06, 2003, 10:51:47 pm
Is it me or does the the bloke on Boomerang  look like he's wearing said aboriginal hunting device upon his feet ???????

Mr K

#4 Bouldering in Cornwall
July 07, 2003, 09:30:02 pm
I'm down that way in a couple of weeks - does anyone have or can anyone draw a topo with some names and grades for any of the areas down and around Godrevy, Carn Brae, Clodgy point, Sennen,Mother Iveys, etc

Would much appreciate any help or if a local were about the week of the 20th onwards I'd love a guided tour

Cheers

JIMBO

andy

#5 Re: Bouldering in Cornwall
July 14, 2003, 11:10:20 am
Godrevy was more extensive and the rock formations were very impressive in places, but it did suffer from a lot of dampness and wet holds on my afternoon visit (pretty breezy as well). I did some cool steep lines in the most tidal part and a couple of killer sitters in the first corridors.
Again, has anybody climbed here?
There are some very hard looking lines cleaned up.

Godrevey does suffer dampness, best after period of dry weather and wind! all cleaned lines have been done, although there is still stuff to be found. Godrevey has been climbed on for quite a while, new attitudes opening new problems, currently the hardest problems are in the far gulley, pictured in one of Caedmons pics.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Bouldering in Cornwall
July 14, 2003, 11:19:54 am
When's the BigPebbles video coming out?  Are we still talking July?

Some of the stills look great - and the website is really nice too.

caedmon_m

#7 video
July 18, 2003, 09:57:22 am
Unfortunately thanks to some serious computer problems(!!) the video's not going to be out until the end of September! We've not even been able to update the site for a few weeks now, but it'll be updated again from sometime this week. In fact I've got a nice video of Ken Palmer on his new F8c to stick on the site at some point soon... not exactly bouldering I'm afraid, but still f***ing impressive!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Bouldering in Cornwall
July 18, 2003, 10:13:03 am
That's a shame - out of interest what are you using for you video? Are you uisng consumer level DV and then Premiere for the edits, or something more advanced?

caedmon_m

#9 vid
July 19, 2003, 04:14:05 pm
Nope nothing more advanced than that (premiere and final cut)... It is a bit of a shame the videos delayed, however it'll be out just in time for the perfect, cool, clear autumn weather we're just bound to get this year!?

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Bouldering in Cornwall
March 23, 2009, 07:43:40 am
Hello,
Heading off to Cornwall for a week with Mrs TT and there should be the opportunity to slope off for a cheeky couple of hours bouldering from time to time. Had a search of UKB and found this thread - any updates in the intervening 6 years? esp any online topo's/guides etc..?
Thanks,
Tom

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Bouldering in Cornwall
March 23, 2009, 07:49:23 am
Hello,
Heading off to Cornwall for a week with Mrs TT and there should be the opportunity to slope off for a cheeky couple of hours bouldering from time to time. Had a search of UKB and found this thread - any updates in the intervening 6 years? esp any online topo's/guides etc..?
Thanks,
Tom
Bingo, some googling answered my questions.. and a kind of topo here - and this PDF topo looks great.. though any updates/thoughts/advice welcome,
T

Idol eyes

• junky
#12 Re: Bouldering in Cornwall
March 23, 2009, 08:13:08 am
(Bosigran Lower Tier)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Bouldering in Cornwall
March 23, 2009, 08:28:12 am
Have you seen this? http://www.blocspenwith.co.uk/ More beta than an 80s video store.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Bouldering in Cornwall
March 23, 2009, 09:42:34 am
Have you seen this? http://www.blocspenwith.co.uk/ More beta than an 80s video store.
Cheers Chris, excellent tip. T

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal