UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread (Read 81525 times)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Btw some 50:50 pedals & 2.7 hi rollers going for the price of a pint..
Jon, wouldn't mind the pedals if they're still going cheap dude - I'm getting fed up with swapping mine between the BigHit and the Chameleon :)
Nice and gentle on the shins them 50/50's mainly cos the pins are shit......

The drop in Graves will be finished tomorrow night, 6ft face to a very well constructed(moved 1 ft forward, widened and the angle slackened for your info bubbs) should be well fun

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Will they take proper pins?

Nice one guys - I'd looked at it for ages but there were too many trees until they cleared them recently.

Not sure how long it'll last with the rather obvious intro-ravine though :lol:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
You have the peels for the cost of
A couple of car stickers.

That drop tranny has at least 3 tons of rock in the tranny.. It air going nowhere.

Smaller more amenable projects are
Planned, my xc bike is bust, so I got no other mid week riding fun easily accessible..

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Bubba, cheers for the Dronfield jumps knowledge.
Went to Chessy BMX track yesterday and popped in to have a look on the way back, by which time it was lashing it down. They look great, pretty extensive as well and a decent range of sizes. It's top of the list for when the weather drys up...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
You have the peels for the cost of
A couple of car stickers.
Cool - need to get the stickers printed up.

It's top of the list for when the weather drys up...
Aye, I'm keen for a play - did you enjoy Staveley? Like the fact it's mainly downhill but it's a burly bmx track - I can't clear most stuff there properly.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Ahh, is Staveley it's real name then? Makes sense as it didn't really seem to be in Chesterfield.
Yes, it was really good, made a nice change from riding Bole Hills.
The first straight is really fast, although I'm not entirely sure how you're supposed to clear the big double on the second straight. I hit it after jumping the step up into the berm then pedalling all through the berm and yet still hung up on it.

I'll let you know when I'm heading out to Dronfield, and if you're around we'll have to have a bit of a session.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Aye, "Chesterfield" is a bit optimistic really.

I get put off Bolehills because of the reports of the knifepoint bike thefts. Staveley is probably just as quick for me to get to from here anyway.

The first straight is ridiculous and I always get scared of launching at full speed into a set of triples.

Yeah, gimme a shout, i'll come down and flail if I'm about :)

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Bole Hills seems alright at the moment. I've been up there quite a bit with my riding resurgence. There's normally a reasonably sized group of riders up there in te evening, with the usual little kids hanging round. Even the kids weren't too bad, and we managed to persuade a few of them to help dig the other week.

First straight of Staveley? I know what you mean, it's pretty fast. We were hopping/pumping the first one then manualling or jumping the second 2. It's a bit scary as you can imagine impending disaster if you dropped the front wheel into the backside of one of them though! If you're pumping the first, the next two are easier to jump on the RHS, and is easy than it looks.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
I know this bloke who got WD40 on his front brake - all over the discs and pads.

Whats the best solution - clean the disc in petrol and replace the pads, or will it just wear off after a bit of heavy braking? I really should be more careful (oops, I mean this bloke I know should really be more careful...)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Remove wheel, remove pads. Isopropyl alcohol over front disc(think you got some percy or go down halfords and buy a can of disc brake cleaner) wipe down with clean rag(not the one you use to wipe your hands after regreasing your bearings) Now the pads, aplly isopropyl again to the pads and give em a bit of a scrub with a rag, couple of times should do. Should clean em up nicely. Make sure no drips on brake/hubs, re-assemble.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Lovely job - ta for that Fatboy!

chappers

• forum hero
i have an old trek mtb (pretty good when i got it - about 400quids worth)
i want to swap out the forks to some ridged ones. put on some racks. drop bars and go "no path too rough" touring on it. (until i have the £ to buy a santos).

what then would you suggest for a fork? about £30. and must be able to take "v" brake. 1 1/8.
anyone got some to offer?

cheers!

chappers

• forum hero
this is what i am aiming for...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I am disgusted you put such obscenity on this thread...

That's sooo wrong, on a roadie and mtb level. You don't really expect anyone to own such a form do you?

Or is this a wind up?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
That is just wrong...........

fatkid2000

• junky
Me thinks it needs some mud-guards.

chappers

• forum hero
oh it will have mud guards.

and yes i am serious, i think...  :lol:

maybe i should just stick to touring on the ribble with some bigger treads...

Plattsy

• forum hero
Really getting into my xc at the moment and after having stopping problems on Saturday I was thinking about upgrading the brakes. Seen these on fleabay.

Are they any good?
Whats a reasonable price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260443146779

Thanks.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
bargain

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Hub wobblyness on my front wheel, fixable of do I need a new one if I need a new one what should I get? I'm riding a 2004 spech enduro comp.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
That'll have specialized's own hubs I believe which are a copy of shimano's and therefore you 'just' need to tighten the cups.  Come round and borrow some tools (or we could meet in the Rising Sun car park to sort it out).  Or take it to Butterworths.  Assuming the bearings aren't knackered it's a 5 minute job and you'll find out in the process whether they are or not.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
classic cones IIRC.

cone spanners ( a la norton) let him grease up those little balls an tighten gently and equally... sorted.

Best done in a car park  :P

chappers

• forum hero
just to keep you informed on my "disgusting" plans. i am looking about for a surley long haul trucker, an improvement i assume from your collective point of views, more pure touring??? yes? no?
going to increase my touring exp this aug with a trip across the  reivers route.

Yossarian

• forum hero
09 Fox 36 Talas RC2 - The travel adjuster has stopped working.

Anyone got any bright ideas about what might've caused this?  Would rather not have to take the bloody thing off and send it back to either Stif or Fox...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
take the schrader valves off ( on for the air pressure) mist likely got dirt round it, impinging on the blue dial that adjusts the travel, may need needle nosed pliers if your stuck in long travel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal