UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread (Read 81541 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Assumptions on faux as above all correct. M3s don't run a four bars FSR.. They are the masters of VPP

All spesh are four bar... They own the patent

Well done on the spring Yoss... Get yorself healed and come up to storrhes and greno in a day?? Less intense than wharners. By the time you've  healed I'll have a whole day pass out

Yossarian

• forum hero
Def up for more of the same.

Will bring a chauffeur next time.

I will get the spring in asap.  I assume spring pre-load is just a case of fine tweaking?

Still need to sort out the high speed compression thingy (i.e. the air chamber pressure) as well as the rebound damping, but I'm sure the sag is the key to it all.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Error. Forgot the M3 was VPP, but the axle/seatstay config is correct I think.

I'm surprised Fatdoc hasn't told you that you NEED a Ti spring yet, to save those grams and for extra bling... ;)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
I assume spring pre-load is just a case of fine tweaking?
No more than one and half turns to put pre-load on, the correct spring rate does the rest. For air pressures for the chambers look on line for the tuning of your shock and start there, to start with it will seem like your riding a sofa compared to how hard it was before! Put you rebound to half way and then + or- as you go on. I do it it one click increments. Takes a while but you pretty much leave it set up till you need to service it!

Yossarian

• forum hero
er yes.

when I got that bike i looked like arnold and weighed about three stone more than i do now. and i once rode it around one of the xc routes at afan.  it seemed sensibly stiff back then...

i will embrace the sofa bike theory. in fact, i might even get our development chap to cover the entire frame with foam and then upholster it in a fetching animal print velvet.  maybe the black and gold zebra, with a matching leopard on the bars and saddle.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
And this one for suspension, even has Dave Weagel posting in the thread!!!

www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140919

awesome....

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
I am soo unworthy....

read this

www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35572
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Well I guess us engineers / mathematicians / physicists do know a thing or two after all  ;D

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
So just fckin explain on the back of that why the fook u
Ride some single pivot over priced piece of under performance?
 :shrug:

Oli

• obsessive maniac
That frame that you linked to (maybe in the other topic) looked nice, but pretty expensive given the current exchange rate!

Also, how about this for some bike pr0n;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300311445445

Looks incredible, and is supposed to be more robust then more conventional DH bikes...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
So just fckin explain on the back of that why the fook u
Ride some single pivot over priced piece of under performance?
 :shrug:

Overpriced, yes, under performing, no.  The reason I have it is I got it very cheap   :).

Single pivots don't work eh?  How many motocross / trials / any other sort of motorbike have you seen with a four bar suspension system?

Are you getting overly stressed at work again at the moment mate?  ;D

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Face it in terms of pedal feedback, bob and the shock compression rates and ratios there is no reason except maintainace to ride a single pivot MTB. Unless you are too skint to ride a modern suspension platform..

As for work stress, yes..  I've just missed a xc training ride / dig session to make some more jumps due to work meetings... So I'm pissed...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
I think me and you need to go to the pub to discuss A level maths mechanics :beer2:, the effect of linear or non-linear levers  :alky:, linear and non linear springs  :pissed:, hysteresis  :devangel: and the price of fish finings and its effect on beer.  :beer2: :alky: :pissed:

Anyone else care to join us?    :goodidea:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
dig session to make some more jumps
Which jumps are these Jon? Have you seen the Dronfield jumps lately - they're looking insane! Even the small lines look damned committing.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Where are they Bubba? Sounds interesting...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
We need to co elle s are knowledge..

As there is a mini DH track near there also.. That needs a day of digging to become a great after work venue.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

You can see a few jumps on the satellite image, but there's a shitload more there now.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Dear Fatdoc, was out for a little ride yesterday and did this?

Is this just excessive beer, because it's on a singlespeed, or am I just too fat?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
hmmmm :-\
you two and hubs.....fatdoc managed to shear nearly all of the flange off where the spokes attach to the hub couple more mm's and it truely would of been a free wheel

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Popped down today for a more detailed look. There's a couple of beginner lines I'm going to go down and try:

Also noticed somebody has started sorting the little cliff drop I've had my eye on for ages in Graves Park :)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
hmmmm :-\
you two and hubs.....fatdoc managed to shear nearly all of the flange off where the spokes attach to the hub couple more mm's and it truely would of been a free wheel

what are you trying to say?  :shrug: :-\

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I sheared the flange off the front of a Hope pro 2 last week.. Could have been very nasty..

Bubba, you will find that drop near finished shortly.. Been a hard evening.. Couple of tons of rocks moved and the dirt skin near complete...

Btw... My demo is dead.. Frame back to spesh uk.. Bearings and axle stuck..

Good job my 800 quid glory is now in my possession, or I'd be bikeless!!

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Cheers for the photos Bubba, they look worth checking out. Might combine it with a trip to Chesterfield BMX track. I've got into trails a bit recently, hopefully heading up to GYPO in Grimsby on Friday which are supposed to be awesome.

Fatdoc; Did you get that glory from SDH then? The Demo dying just goes to prove that you can never have too many bikes... Do you reckon you'll get a brand new frame from Spesh, or is it out of warranty?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
origional 05 model, way off warrenty, hope to come to some arrangement over the swing arm.

Btw some 50:50 pedals & 2.7 hi rollers going for the price of a pint..

Yep, the glory is the glory8 with totems and hope6 pots..

Wierd ride... Wheels too heavy to change direction!!! Fine suspension mind.. Really supple. Small ad big hits fine.. And it's only a dhx3. Can't fault the bike at all. 1.5 head tube is fookin massive!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Btw some 50:50 pedals & 2.7 hi rollers going for the price of a pint..
Jon, wouldn't mind the pedals if they're still going cheap dude - I'm getting fed up with swapping mine between the BigHit and the Chameleon :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal